United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 20m 55s
Overall Rank = 236/455
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 24/45
Pre-race routine:

I opted for normal, bland, and boring. I had a sandwich for dinner and oatmeal for breakfast. Nothing special, but also food that I knew was not going to cause me any troubles.

Driving to the venue the night before, I opted for a hotel 1.6 miles away from the start. I figured an easy jog to the start would be a nice warm-up.

In all honesty, this was the first running that I had completed in a week. I tweaked my knee on an elliptical a month ago and have had some nagging pain if I twist the knee at all. When I toed the line, I had know idea what my leg was going to let me do.
Event warmup:

My timing couldn't have been much better. I jogged easy to the starting line and asked a police officer for the time. He told me it was 7:24. For a 7:30 start, I still had time to drop the extra water I'd been consuming. As it turn out, the wheelchairs went off at 7:30 and the rest of the crowd moved out at 7:35. Perfect timing.
Run
  • 4h 20m 55s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun went off with a temperature of about 40 degrees, but the sky was clear and the sun quickly warmed things up. I had a throw away shirt and arm warmers so I just stripped things off as I went along.

The relay teams started along with the other runners. They were pretty easy to spot with their red batons and different colored bibs.

The race itself was a small event with about 500 Marathoners and a couple hundred more in the relay. Spectators were very supportive and spread out at many places along the course.
What would you do differently?:

I accomplished exactly what I needed to for this race. I only ran this so that I could have a sub-4:30 marathon within the past two years to submit with my JFK 50 miler entry. Had it not been for this, I would not have run the race. In fact, two months ago, I thought I still had a couple of add'l months to train, but the JFK 50 moved the registration up to 1 May vice the traditional 1 July.

With my only goal of finishing sub-4:30 and saving my reserves for the last few weeks before the Columbia Tri I was super happy with my overall outcome.
Post race
Warm down:

walk 1.6 miles back to the hotel and a nice swim in the pool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited base miles, and an olympic tri in three weeks.

Event comments:

For a small race, I didn't expect a lot. My only other full marathon was the Marine Corp Marathon in 2006 so we are really talking about extremes 35K people versus 700. I had a great time. There were more cheering spectators that I expected. It was easy to talk to the spectators, "Thanks for your support." or "Didn't I see you cheering a few miles back?"

Yes, the bagels were all gone by the time I finished, but that was not a big deal for me. A banana and pretzels suited me fine.

I would definitely consider running this event again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
04:20:55 | 26.2 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/45
Overall: 45/455
Performance:
Course: The course was proposed as a flatter version of the last year's course. There were no particularly steep hills, but the rollers did keep coming. According to the profile, after the midway point it was supposed to be flat or downhill. I'm not sure how often they check the elevation, but the rollers continued through mile 26. There were 14 water stops on the course and most of them had at least one port-a-john. Safety was obviously an important consideration for race director. All street intersections were staffed by commercial flagmen. Very little of the course itself was along any main road. The first several miles had closed roads. Most of the course was non winding, rolling country roads. If I was passed by more the a couple of dozen cars in the entire race, I would be surprised.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes