United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 45s
Overall Rank = 35/62
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 5am. Coffee and a bagel @ 5:15. Watched cartoons w/ my niece.

Arrived @ check-in @ 6:30. Spent the next 75 minutes setting up my transition area, and talking to friends / other competitors and going to the bathroom.
Event warmup:

1/2 mile jog and stretching
Run
  • 13m 31s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out very quick and felt really good.

A 6:46 pace but really it was probably more like a 6 minute pace consdiring the extra distance we did.

Had (1) 7oz bottle of Gookinaid.

Had to make a pee break after completing the run.
What would you do differently?:

Go to the bathroom more
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

43/62 - Bad Transition due to pee stop.

After I went to the bathroom, I proceded to my bike. Still don't know why our bikes had to be in the sand when we weren't even swimming.

Picked up bike and ran w/ it through the sand. 2 gels fell out of my pocket so I had a momentary pause as I contemplated leaving the gel behind. 3 seconds later I ran back and picked them up. Good thing I did b/c I would have paid for it on the bike had I not stopped to retrieve them.

Gone to the bathroom. The pee pit stop probably cost me 45 seconds.
Bike
  • 46m 58s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of the run feeling good, got out on my bike and was on my way. Got the cadence up to 90 and kept it in between 85-95 for the majority of the ride.

Averaged 20.4 mph on the ride, which I thought was pretty good.

However, it was a bit discouraging getting past by so many riders. I lost track of the total people that passed me. Somewhere around 25 or so.

I think I only passed about 5 riders, not including the girl who got a flat rear and had a very tough time changing the flat.

A few observations:

Nearly everyone had aero bars (except me)

The sound of zipp wheels approaching is now embedded in my head.

Before the race started, I felt like a kid in a toy store @ Christmas time as I walked up and down the aisles admiring all the different bikes. Most of which I had only read about on this site.

1 rider rode right over some road kill just as he was passing me and it squirted up some guts onto my bike and leg. I had to waste 1/2 a bottle of water getting the foul smell off my leg. If he wasn't going so quick, I would have tracked him down and gave him a piece of my mind b/c in my opinion, it was deliberate.

The guy actually tracked me down after the race and appologized.

The coolest thing on the bike for me was going down a small hill on a curve. The road sign indicated a 30 mph limit and I was going 32, so I got a laugh out of it.

On a postive note, I noticed that I am either crazy or I negotiate corners very well. On each corner, I would pass a few riders. Granted they passed me back shrotly therafter.

INVEST IN AERO-BARS !!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

28 / 63

I must have been in a daze or something b/c I came around a corner and all of a sudden was at the bike dismount area. I was going pretty fast and a race official yelled at me to slow down.

I panicked and slammed on my breaks while somehow freeing my feet from the pedals. My bike did an endo as my right leg hurdled the frame and handlebars.

I still don't know how I didn't fall. I gathered myself and ran w/ bike to the rack.

I was a little confused b/c I seemed to be the only one running. I passed 3 people on my way to the rack.

Bike was racked quickly. Got my running gear on and was on my way.

Figure out the best way and time to take helmet off.
Run
  • 32m 10s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 07m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

The bike and 2nd run was the same course as the triathlon.

I had read and been told by others that since I was a good runner, I would be able to pass a lot of people.

After being passed by some many on the run, I needed this for my morale.

Within the 1st 1/2 mile, I passed several people and I was feeling good.

My fitsense watch, which I rely on to gauge my pace and distance died. Turns out it was the battery in the foot pod. Ironically, the last time this happened to me also happened to be while I was running my 1st marathon.

Since the course wasn't marked, I wasn't exactly sure how far or how fast I was going.

So I just ran, passing one after another. I was counting them for a while but I passed so many that I lost track, which was a good feeling.

I approached a water stop and found out it was also the 1/2 way mark. I had 2.25 miles to go. I was feeling fine so I picked up the pace a bit.

I approached the shore line and thought I was close. 200 yards later, I realized I still had a good 1/2 mile left so I slowed down.

All in all only 2 people passed me on the run. With about 400 yards to go, I caught another guy and he didn't want to be passed so he picked up his pace.

I asked him if he was up a sprint finish and he took off.

Luckily for me, I was able to catch him.

A trademark move for me is to always finish the race strong. I was in all out full throttle sprint as I crossed in 1:35:45.

Could have puched myself harder had I known my pace and distance.

Obviously, I rely too heavily on my fitsense system.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down ???

was too excited ...got some water and food ...posed for a few pictures ...waited for a few freinds to finish ....went to the results ....Brian S ( a BT posted) took 1st place in the tri.

cleared transition area, loaded car and hung around to collect my award.

Event comments:

2nd place in 25-29 age group
1st Place Clydesdale Category
1st Place in First Timers Category

Last updated: 2004-06-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:31 | 02 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 23/62
Performance: Good
Course: Shaded trail run. Down hill out for 1 mile and back up hill. The turn around markings were apparently washed away from the storm the night before and there was no volunteers on the course so we actually went out about 1.25 miles before someone decided just to turn around and head back. So, we actually wound up going about 2.5 miles instead of 2. I found all of this out afterwards when the race director appologized.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:55
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:46:58 | 16 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Overall: 43/62
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Contry road. For the most part it was pretty flat w/ a few minor climbs and 1 small downhill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:32:10 | 04.5 miles | 07m 09s  min/mile
Overall: 30/62
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop around the lake, mostly shaded. No mile markers. 1 water stop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2004-06-14 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: 2nd Annual Thundergust Duathlon

2004-06-14 10:26 AM
in reply to: #31229

User image

Veteran
Florida!
Subject: RE: 2nd Annual Thundergust Duathlon
excellent job, and congratulations! gross about the roadkill, and sucks about this mismarked course - which unfortunately isn't all that uncommon.

and yes, invest in some aerobars. i know this great bike shop...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2nd Annual Thundergust Duathlon Rss Feed