Other Resources My Cup of Joe » buying pool - What should I know/ask for? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4188206

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-05-03 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4185485

Pro
Subject: RE: buying pool - What should I know/ask for?
TriRSquared - 2012-05-02 4:51 AM

Look into pebbletech.  It's little tiny rocks of various colors as a surface.  It's very easy to clean and provides just enough grip.  We have a 300sqft sundeck and it works perfectly for that.

Get the jets in the bottom that automatically sweep.  I thought it was not going to be worth the extra few $k but it soooooo much is.

those were going to be my two suggestions. 

2012-05-03 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4185098

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

My husband is a pool tech--I posed your questions to him:

3 feet is a bit too shallow--go with about 3.5' it will be more fun (seriously, thats what he said!)

As for the extra pump, will you be adding a pool sweep? I asked him what type would be best, and he said "difficult answer, what is the landscaping around the pool?" Once he knows that, he can tell you if you would need it.

sundek--it is easier than installing flagstone. so not a bad idea. 

The price sounds decent--as long as the work being done is good--if you can, check Angie's list or ask around, if you have a local pool store, you can ask there.

His main idea was that with pool design and installation, simpler is better overall, for both ease of use/maintenance, and money-wise.

As for filtration, a cartridge filter would be the best choice--as long as you buy QUALITY--this goes for pumps too--don't skimp on the important stuff like that--you buy well now and less costs in repair/replacement in the long run. 

If you are going to have a pool service to take care of cleaning or chemicals, check with them as to maintenance of the hardware--my husband usually has to do the regular service of filters/pumps for his customers--and then at least they don't have to worry about it.

I hope I didn't give you too much more to worry about! If you have any more questions post 'em up--I'll let you know what he says.

Edited by kgore 2012-05-03 9:55 PM
2012-05-04 1:06 PM

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Awesome, thanks!
2012-05-04 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4190850

Sensei
Sin City

It's a concern here, so I just thought I would mention...  We have calichi here that if encountered, can sky rocket the price of an inground pool.  A pool that size would coust 75k to 100k in that case.

2012-05-04 2:16 PM

Expert
Northern VA

peanut butter and Athenas? 

but you prob already asked ... and know

2012-05-04 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4188033

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
tmwelshy - 2012-05-03 10:36 AM
rkreuser - 2012-05-02 7:28 AM
tmwelshy - 2012-05-01 9:31 PM

I'm looking to draw on the collected wisdom of BT. So, here are some details.

16'6" by 35" rectangle

3ft to 6ft. 

Cut white stone coping

3scuppers in an 18inch back wall, 2 drains, I think 2 pumps

No hottub

700ft Sundek

A couple of my big concerns:

Sundek - pros/cons? it 9k cheaker than doing the 700spft in flagstone. Any experience?

Has anyone had any problems with 3-6ft?

Should I get a seperate pump for the scuppers (waterfalls)?

Am I getting robbed at $59,300?

Thanks,

Welshy

- $59,900 sounds like a LOT. 

- You can handle the pump/scuppers 2 ways: 1) two pumps (they're not that expensive). Plus here is that you can put them on separate timers, so the waterfalls run when you want them to, rather than all the time, or 2) a single pump with a valve that lets you alter the flow. Minus here is that to run the waterfalls, you'll be diverting flow from the main schnozzles, and they'll run constantly unless you get a fancy-schmancy autotimed valve. Which they have. 

- 3-6 ft? Two things here...why so shallow - I'd expect that in San Antonio that in the summer you'll have issues keeping the pool cool 8' will give you two more feet of water as a heat sink. In either case, I'm not sure you need two drains. One in the deep end should do it. Rationale for 2 drains?

- Keep the rectangle. Don't change shape. That gives you the ability to put an automatic (or manual) pool cover on a roll at the end of the pool - voila, instant cover. Which is nice.  

- Make sure they give you a hookup for a polaris (auto-cleaner) as one of the nozzles in-pool. Didn't see that mentioned, but awesome.

- No experience with sundek. 

- Spring for the grotto. I've heard good things. 

Good luck. 

Thanks Rick. on the depth, I have a 5ft tall daughter whos 13. She has many minions who are all about 5ft. I was thinking it would give them more play room. Now I'm reconsidering. I'm for sure going to go another foot deeper (to 7ft), but am not sure on the 3ft at the most shallow point. My pool designer thinks 3ft is the way to go as the pool is 3.6 a step or two away from the edge - and by inferrence would be 4ft (at my daughters shoulders) if I started at 3.5. Thoughts?

She won't be 5ft for long.  Wait, have you ever seen a kid in a pool?  They're not just standing there, they're bobbing up and down off the bottom. 5 year olds do ok in the 3.5 foot area. I don't see shoulder obstruction as a biggie for a 5-footer. 

That said, if it's still a must-have, talk to your pool guy. Tell him you'd like to have more play room, or more shallow. Especially with concrete, there's plenty of ability to tailor the bottom contour of the pool. You could start at 3, gently go to 3.5, then gradually get it down to whatever depth there is. Get a profile that balances whatever ya think. 

The two angles I was coming from were 1) volume of water in the pool. 6ft isn't deep, and neither is 3ft, and will be a bear to keep cool in the summer, 2) liability - all you need is one of your minions, or minions boyfriends to bounce their head off the bottom because they just didn't know it wasn't 6', which is non-standard. Especially if there's a diving board or slide or any tomfoolery of sorts. 

2012-05-05 9:19 PM

Palmetto/Parish, FL

As a side note.....  If you are considering a diving board or slide, be sure to check with your insurance company.  A few of the carriers I write through here in FL say it is a big No No.  I would also give your agent a call to find out about any requirements for safety.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » buying pool - What should I know/ask for? Rss Feed  

of 2