General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Company
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 14s
Overall Rank = 59/148
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/25
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special, same ol' Grape Nuts and raisins with aglass of OJ on the way out the door.
Event warmup:

Swim was a deep water start with a 3minute gap between waves so I swam around as much as I could and got my hr up to about 120.
Swim
  • 16m
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a good swim, was happy that my pace was under 2:00/100yd. Really felt like I had a strong swim. This is the 1st race EVER that my swim time was higher place than both my bike and my run! Unbelievable. At the time, I was feeling good about my swim but I've felt that way before and the clock didn't show it.....
What would you do differently?:

Not much, keep improving. I felt this was as good of a swim as I could come up with, at this point. My sighting and buoy rounding has improved a great deal with just simply more experience.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Really felt like I had great transitions today, so to keep myself humbled, I looked up the times for the winner of the race and my T1 was :22 slower than the winner. Can't imagine where I could shave off that much time! Maybe just more and more practice. Really felt my transitions were both aced, as this season, I really felt my short course transitions have been getting extremely faster.

Keep practicing, couldn't really do much different!
Bike
  • 38m 40s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Couldn't believe my bike was ranked lowest out of the 3 disciplines....That's a 1st. Maybe it means my other 2 are improving or some real good cyclists showed up today! To be 8th in my age group and have my bike split ranked 18th is really gonna keep me focused on not getting complacent on what I always have felt was my strength. Really felt like I did good here, didn't feel like I was getting tired or like I was struggling to keep my pace up.....

Peddle faster!!!! Lol!
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Same story here, my T2 time was :14 slwer than the leaders.

More practice,practice,practice!!! Really felt good about this transition!
Run
  • 25m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Really felt this was the strongest I felt out of the last 2 sprints I've done in these last few weeks. When I felt I needed to keep picking up the pace, I was able to.

Keep plugging away.....
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a bunch of fruit and hung out with Nate and Charles(from FCA!) and waited for Jason to finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm fat and slow!:)

Event comments:

Race was a bit late due to some bike course issues, no biggie! Glad I wasn't doing the Oly, things were getting toasty! Considering this ws my 4th race in 20 days, I felt good about it! I'm definately improving and I've kinda rediscovered the sprint. I always neglected the sprint beacause I always had the longer is better mentality but mixing it up now with sprints,olys and 1/2s is definately alot more fun! I've learned more and met some good people and got to know some people I've known for awhile, better! Such a great sport! It's back to work with that 1/2 in October coming up then the full marathon again, in January! Felt good to get the win last week and a top 10 age group finish at a big TTL race...Definately lights the fire brighter and keeps me striving for bigger and better things!

Last updated: 2012-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:00 | 820 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/25
Overall: 0/148
Performance: Good
Checked hr a couple of times and it was 155/158 most of the time.
Suit: Synergy Endorphin Full Sleeve
Course: Rectangular course in Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:40 | 12.3 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/25
Really worked hard to keep it 168/170
Wind: Some
Course: Typical course around Tempe Town Lake
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:05 | 03.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/25
170/179
Course: Typical 3 miler around TTL.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-07 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-05-07 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4194593

User image

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course
Gratz on a great race! Glad to hear that you are getting the fire back for triathlons! Sorry that I mised ya at Rio, would love to have said hi!
2012-05-07 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4194593

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course
Awesome race Todd!  I was wondering why I did not see you in the wave line up for the Oly.  You performed well, and have held it strong through the last few weeks and several races.  Great results!  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed