United States
Coast Guard Avery Point Runners
Precipitation
Total Time = 18h 15m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = women's open
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I did a short swim this AM before work. I ate a solid lunch, then had a banana at about 4:30pm. I worked during the day and headed straight for the run after work, so I arrived a little after 5pm for the 6pm start.

I had too much coffee and not enough water at work during the day.
Event warmup:

The warmup run was cut brief by downpour and lightning. I did do a lot of running and place and bouncing around to keep warm.

I did not use my inhaler, hoping that the warmup would suffice.
Run
  • 30m 10s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran with a woman going about my pace, which was helpful to me. My body felt great, but I was having some trouble with my asthma. My lungs were hurting and my breathing was shallow.

Still, I had a great time. I LOVED splashing through the mud puddles and
I did have enough left in me for a nice sprint at the end. There was another woman who started to overtake me toward the end. We ran together and chatted for a little. Then, when the finish came in view I joked "I'll race ya," and sprinted off.

I had a great time and would love to do this run again next year. I was a little dissapointed with my time, but I actually think I had a pretty respectable ranking. I may even be in the top 5 women, but I'll have to see when the results are posted.
What would you do differently?:

I would have used my inhaler.
Post race
Warm down:

None really. Bouncing around in place to keep warm while waiting for the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My asthma. The sudden drop in temperature and less than ideal warmup hurt my breathing. Entirely my fault, as I should have used my inhaler.

Event comments:

Since it's my first race, I have little to compare to, but I had a great time.

There were LOTS of volunteers for a small race. Lots of young Coast Gaurd guys to help out and no shortage of massage students.

They were late in starting and in the ceremony, but they offered lots of prizes. I won a hydration system in the raffle, so I'm glad I waited around for the ceremony.

Last updated: 2006-05-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:10 | 03.6 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: 3.6 mile course through Bluff Point trails. The trails have a slow upward slope for about the middle third, but a nice gentle downhill in the last mile. The rain stopped in time for the race, but it had been raining for days before so the trail was flooded in places.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes