General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tuckerton, New Jersey
United States
CityTri Racing
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m 52s
Overall Rank = 8/99
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 03:00, to meet friends and drive there. 03:30? Ended up being among the first to arrive, so we got a good parking spot, and avoided the lines.
Event warmup:

Got out for a swim to check the goggles, which still seemed to manage to leak. Not bad though, made some adjustments.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 616 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out bumping into a couple people, but overall not a bad start. Once we hit the first turn, things spread out a bit, and I got into a rhythm. Needed to site better after this, as there were no other swimmers to reference.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Need to work on getting into shoes with wet feet. Didn't dry my feet off in T1, so wet, sandy feet are hard to get into shoes.
What would you do differently?:

Practice getting into shoes
Bike
  • 31m 42s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 23.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, I don't know what paid off more, the new bike/wheels/helmet, or the off-season workouts. The sum total though is about 3 mph faster than last year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Wasn't really sure how close I was to T2, so I dismounted with shoes on. Ran to T2 with shoes on, no real issues.

Not much.
Run
  • 20m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty spent at run start. Seemed like I should have been running faster, however pace indicated I was not going to go much faster. Data shows heart rate gradually increasing along with pace, with cadence remaining essentially the same. So this suggests strides were getting longer, maybe hips were opening up?

Consider taking longer strides initially, maybe to stretch out.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched a bit while waiting for friends. Didn't really feel to tight afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting feet into shoes at beginning of bike; derailleur issues

Event comments:

There wasn't much organization early on. As I understand it, this race started as a HIM, and the sprint was added on later. It clearly felt that way, and since the sprint starts one hour prior to the HIM, we were waiting a bit for things to get organized. There also weren't many mile markers on the run course, as someone else noted, that affected their run effort.

For post-race food, the web site states a "home cooked meal" would be served. They must have been referring to the Half-distance race, since all we had was muffins and croissants, which were good, but there could have been more.
Also, while leaving, there was vehicle traffic mixing with HIM bike traffic. This was not good, though I'm not sure what can be done about it.

We also saw a couple bikers go off-course. Not sure how that happened as there were police at the intersection where they went wrong.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 616 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 21/99
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Course was an out and back, triangle shape, making right turns. Swim start.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:31:42 | 12.3 miles | 23.28 mile/hr
Overall: 5/99
Average HR 147
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:33 | 03.1 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 18/99
avg hr 153
Course: Wooded out-and-back, with a couple turn arounds, so you could see others in the race, and with the turns it wasn't boring.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-07 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed