70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 54m 24s
Overall Rank = 587/725
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 88/100
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race jitters were my warm up!

It started off cool and overcast but I was comfortable from the excitement running through my veins. The day was here and I was at the starting line. Thoughts of this back January seem like a really distant memory. No doubts anymore I was here and was going to race.

Event warmup:

This was a big race for me in more ways than one. With over 7000 people racing the start was crowed to say the least. 4 races where being held at once. The full and half marathon started in the same location. A 5 & 10 K also started at the same time but down the road a little further but we all met up at a certain point in the race.

The first half of the race went through the small towns of Nassau and was rather scenic. Then we ran onto the Wantaugh Parkway. The split for the half was only a few miles down on the parkway and the majority of the full marathon would take place on the parkway. This one factor I think lead to my first realization about the outcome of this race

Run
  • 4h 54m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The start went off with a blast!

A blast of fireworks that is and it was pretty impressive. The music played and the runners went. We’re off!

I maintained my 11:00 min pace pretty well for the first half except for miles 8 & 9 which had me caught up in a group of runner doing the half. I wasn’t careful and was just running.

The running was tight but not a problem I had to weave in out of a few groups and some slower runners but I was easily maintaining my pace. I was cruising on auto pilot when we hit the split for the half.

Life changed after the split.

4450 runners did the half only 735 did the full. It got lonely real fast!

Once I hit mile 13 I increased my pace a little which was my plan. Things were heating up (temperature wise) and it was my only concern that I was never really able to do any running in warm weather. The parkway was starting to roast me – I was feeling it.

Around mile 19 I was going up an over pass and my body stopped running! I was walking………

I had to get off the parkway – it was another 4 miles. I tried to break it down into small goals but it seemed like it was never going to end. I was now trying to only walk through the water stops and try to cool down as much as possible.

I firmly believe that if I hadn’t had such a strict nutrition plan and if I hadn’t followed it during the race I would have not made it. At one point I looked down at some recently patched asphalt and saw shoe print in it – yeah it was hot enough to melt the repair. I was drinking 2 cups of water and cooling my head off with the 3rd cup. I finally learned how to drink water from a cup while running – a skill that will be useful in the future!

Finally we are getting off the parkway! However you need to run up and down 3 out of the 4 clover loops. Just plain cruel!

3 miles to go – I will make it. For the first time I knew I was going to make it!

I walked a good bit of mile 25.

But mile 26 was mine and I wasn’t walking now! I finally saw it mile marker 26 – I broke down and cried!

I looked up and saw the photographer taking my picture –JUST GREAT! 26 miles of running and the best shot at a good race picture and I’m having an emotional meltdown……

I turned the corner and there it was – THE FINISH LINE!

I waved to my wife and listened to my name being called and ran across. I did it!

Post race
Warm down:

After I stumbled through the finish line I picked up my finisher metal. This was the biggest metal I’d ever seen! They handed me a bag, which I thought was odd – it was all kind of surreal at this point. I wandered around trying to figure out how to find my wife – thankfully she found me. I was a little hungry and was trying to find some real food. My wife found some chips and I asked her if she could find something cold to drink for me. I’m looking around wondering where the bagels and the bananas are that people are eating. I’m still holding this bag when I get a little inkling that maybe I should open it – Guess what was in the bag - FOOD!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A couple things to note:
1.) In hind sight my plan was to finish. I used a beginner marathon plan (well hell I am just a beginner marathoner) and it would have been a miracle to hit my time goal. Maybe next year – why do I keep saying that!
2.) In a cruel twist of fate I used my phones run keeper app for pacing purposes. The GPS on the phone was off from the course by almost a ½ mile at the end. My phone said I ran 26.63 mile – that’s a killer when you have to cross the finish line twice!
3.) Also the gear I used was PERFECT! No chaffing! The new race belt was an excellent buy! I was so glad to not take my hydration belt – I’m sure I would have drank more water but I don’t think I needed to.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
04:54:24 | 26.2 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/100
Overall: 0/725
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-09 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: Long Island Marathon

2012-05-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4199747

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Long Island Marathon

Awesome run - that's inspiring.

Not sure how you did that in heat that you weren't used to - the heat fries me.

2012-05-09 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Woot!!!! awesome RR Adam - great job!  The heat sounds brutal - I think I would melt into a big puddle!
2012-05-09 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Congratulations Adam!! You set a goal, followed a plan and completed the goal successfully!!  It doesn't get any better than that!! 

BTW, it isn't unusual to have that big of a discrepancy with a GPS and actual race distance in a race that long.  You would have to hit every corner perfect to not have added distance.  It does stink though when you think you are done and you aren't!

Again, you trained smart and hit the race in awesome fashion!! Way to go!

2012-05-09 12:52 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Great RR Adam!! and even better race.

When it gets warm like that you just need to accept slower paces.  It happened to the big guys in Boston this year too!  Especially when you are basing all your goals and pacing of cooler weather running.  You did GREAT man!!!

2012-05-09 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Great report Adam and congrats on finishing your first marathon! Are ya gonna get the 26.2 tat now?!

2012-05-09 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4200472

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Trout - 2012-05-09 4:16 PM Great report Adam and congrats on finishing your first marathon! Are ya gonna get the 26.2 tat now?!

No tat but maybe a 26.2 bumper sticker. Cool

2012-05-09 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great race and great report, Adam.  So glad that you are officially a marathoner now!!  You really fought through the wall at mile 19.  In your first race, there's really no way to prepare yourself for it - it just happens and you have to get through it.  Way to bring your finish in under 5 hours - congratulations!!!
2012-05-09 9:28 PM

New user
Walterboro

Great Job!  Awesome race report also. 

2012-05-10 5:55 AM

User image

Elite
Way to hang in there. The wantagh pkwy is the one reason I always seem to avoid the temptation to do that race. Maybe one day. The heat was suprising, I did the bassman HIM at the same time in nj and around 11 it was heating up! Way to stick it out
2012-05-10 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4201495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Congratulations, Finisher! You should definitely rock that bumper sticker.

2012-05-10 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Sin City

Fantastic Race Report! VERY inspiring! Makes me want to train for a Marathon!  Though your goal wasn't met, you still NAILED it on every other aspect of the race! :-)

Great job Adam! This is going to be your first of many marathons to come....hopefully! :-)

2012-05-10 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR

Dude, awesome job Adam.  You have to be so proud of yourself... WAY TO GO!

And as KenJ said, I'm not surprised your GPS was off a bit by the end of the race.  With all those racers on the course you can't help but weave in between a ton... and over 26 miles that adds up!

Nicely done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Island Marathon Rss Feed