Ashington, England
United Kingdom
VO2 max
Total Time = 1h 21m 42s
Overall Rank = 114/197
Age Group = Female Senior
Age Group Rank = 13/27
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6am and made porridge to eat in the car on the way to the race. Arrived just in time for the race briefing at 7.35am, then went to registration. My start time wasn't until 10.13am, so took my time setting up transition and cheering on friends who (all) started earlier than me.

I had apparently been put in a wave with the "fast ladies", which meant I was completely out of my depth. All I can think is that I must have put in the 12th fastest swim time, and had been put in that wave to fill it up. Unfortunately that meant that I was in the 2nd to last wave (with the last wave being "fast men"), and I was fairly certain I'd be the last person on the course...
Event warmup:

From about 45min before my start time I drank a can of coke and a bottle of sports drink, so started nicely hydrated and with plenty of energy.

It was very cold standing around, so kept my hoodie on for as long as possible. No active warmup, but the pool was so hot that it didn't take long to get going. Had chance to do a couple of lengths steady swimming, which got me moving nicely.
Swim
  • 06m 40s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was the first off in my lane, but obviously the slowest. Everyone overtook me in the first 2 lengths, which left me to just get on and swim at my own pace, which was nice. Everyone else in my lane was out of the water 2 lengths ahead of me.

Pleased with the time for this. Took 54sec off my time from last year.
What would you do differently?:

Put in a slower swim time when I enter. Or else tell them to move me into a different wave...
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

I felt like I was fumbling a bit in transition, but the time suggests otherwise. I put on a bike top, which I haven't done before, but had thoroughly talced inside the sleeves and it slid right on.

Was the last out of transition from my wave.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 43m 27s
  • 12.92 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed fairly hard on the bike, and managed to maintain a pretty good pace. The downhill didn't feel anything like as scary as I remember from last year, and the uphill was also not as hard as I remember.

I made it to the 2nd loop before anyone passed me from the final wave, but then they gradually all went past. I overtook one girl, so I was 2nd last into T2.

Nothing. Really pleased with how I paced it. Worked hard, but left myself with something for the run. Improved on last year's time by about 1m20s.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

The person next to me in transition had racked their bike right on top of my stuff, leaving no space for my bike. I took the aggressive approach and just rammed it out of the way as I was racking my bike. Fumbled with my Garmin, which slowed me down more than I'd hoped.

Change around my Garmin mount so that it's easier to take off the bike.
Run
  • 29m 23s
  • 3.54 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of transition and pushed hard. I got passed by loads of people, but it was hard to tell who was on which lap. At some point the last girl passed me, so on the last lap I was the last person, but the woman in front of me was only about 30sec ahead, so I just kept pushing to try not to lose her. I was last over the line, but by much less margin than I expected, and all my friends had waited to cheer me in, so that was really nice.

My Garmin freaked out as I was leaving transition and lapped a whole bunch of times. I pressed a load of buttons to try to sort it out and accidentally stopped the timing. I realised just as I was finishing the first lap, so re-started it, but the data is a mess because it thinks I ran 20+ miles!

Can't really compare the times from last year because they extended the run route, but my average pace was about 10sec/mile faster, so another improvement.

Nothing. I pushed hard all the way round the run. Legs felt horrible for the first lap, and then just felt tired and heavy for the rest, but over such a short distance it was easy to keep pushing.
Post race
Warm down:

I'd handed Kevin my bike top part way round the run because I got really hot. He gave it back and told me to put it on as soon as I finished. It was a very good move because it was really cold standing around. I had some orange quarters and a banana as well as some water at the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strength. I always feel like my legs give up on me well before I reach the limit of my fitness.

Event comments:

This was the first race we did last year. I really enjoyed it, especially as the volunteers were really friendly and helpful. This year I knew about 8 of the volunteers because they'd been on my coaching course. So that was quite nice. It gave me someone to talk to while i was waiting for my ridiculous start time.

Last updated: 2012-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:40 | 400 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/197
Performance: Good
Time includes about 100yd run from the pool to transition.
Suit:
Course: Pool swim - 400yd. Water was incredibly warm.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:27 | 12.92 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 2.5 loops. It's twice round the loop, then out to the roundabout and double back to the start. Mostly relatively flat, but the loop goes through Bothal village, which has a hill down into the village, then a tight left turn followed by Bothal Bank, which is a short, sharp climb.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:23 | 03.54 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Course: 3 laps around the park and school. Completely flat route. Extended from last year's route by about 0.7miles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes