General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Selma, Indiana
United States
Muncie Multi Sport
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 37s
Overall Rank = 6/28
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/1
Pre-race routine:

Didn't make packet pick-up the night before, so had to get bike, race numbers ready, etc. No real warm up, bathroom twice with some GI issues. Got the wetsuit on and took about 15 minutes helping my husband get his wetsuit on; by that time it was 10 minutes to race start.
Event warmup:

Very little...jumped in the water and swam out/back 2x50 yards or so. That was it!
Swim
  • 21m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wetsuit was restrictive and my shoulders fatigued quickly. Had a really hard time spotting the far bouys...they were yellow and really hard to see. The majority of people were taking a line way out to the right which threw me off. Beach run for two laps was a little annoying and my feet did not like running on sharp rocks. The 2 loop system with beach run probably added 30 sec to 1 min to normal 1500 OWS time.
What would you do differently?:

Get a new wetsuit that didn't feel like it was choking me and restricting my arm motion?
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Slow transition. I'm training for Lake Placid Ironman and wasn't really focusing on fast transitions as that isn't really my focus for the IM. Just wanted to make sure I had everything I needed. Probably could have cut at least 1 minute if I wanted. Oh, and it's a real long, up hill run from the beach to the transition.

Quicker with wetsuit removal, helmet on, getting on my bike (missed my pedals a couple of times)
Bike
  • 1h 15m 17s
  • 25.6 miles
  • 20.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Immediately upon getting on my bike, my left medial quad ached like none other; at about mile 6 I began getting a sharp pain in my right medial hamstring every time I tried to crank/push it a bit. This isn't good. I am thinking my seat is a little low. This hamstring thing has been bothering me for the past 2 weeks or so, however. The pain is very brief, but sharp. So, not wanting to cause more injury, I held back a little. I likely could had gone faster, but oh well. My husband passed me at mile 2, I held onto him for about 4 miles, then he was off. I usually beat him, so that was a blow :p but he's training much better himself this year.

Have my seat height looked at; take care of this hamstring issue.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Didn't take my feet out of my shoes prior to transition. Still don't have that technique down and also, again, wasn't focusing on super quick transitions.

If actually training/racing Olympic distance, get my feet out of my shoes and off my bike quicker.
Run
  • 52m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Always my weakest link, but I felt okay! I wanted to try to control my pace for the most part and stay consistent. So, obviously I took my first mile out WAY too fast, and probably paid for that. I actually felt good on this run, even though I wasn't too fast. The run is always my biggest worry, so I did this entire run without walking/stopping at aid stations. And I didn't feel like death like I normally do the entire time. I think I could have gone faster...I've been averaging under 8:15 miles in training, so I feel should be able to perform better.

SLOW DOWN the first mile; then ideally I would have more to give for the rest, and be able to go faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped in the lake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: Wetsuit, sighting
Bike: Right hamstring pain, left knee pain
Run: 1st mile too fast

Event comments:

Well run race. Did the Muncie Half IM last summer as well. Course is nice and rolling, which is good for flat country midwest landscape. Muncie is 5+ hours away from where I live, so it's quite a haul. Recommend for those who live closer.

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:06 | 1500 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 2/28
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Two loops of 750 meters with run on beach for re-entry for second lap.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:17 | 25.6 miles | 20.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/1
Overall: 4/28
Performance: Average
Miles 0-5: 21.5 mph; HR 155 5-10: 19.4 mph; HR 155 (headwind, rollers and tough false flat) 10-15: 21.6 mph; HR 151 15-20: 19.7 mph; HR 149 20-25: 19.6 mph; HR 147 Avg HR: 151
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course. First stretch had a good tail wind (8 mph); turn south and loop around was rolling with a head wind. Course was well marked and road surface was pretty good. Some areas of older/rough pavement, but any potholes/divets were well marked. One false flat on bottom of loop that kicked my butt because I didn't realize I was going up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:14 | 06.21 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 9/28
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 7:51; HR 160 Mile 2: 8:27; HR 164 Mile 3: 8:12; HR 165 Mile 4: 8:34; HR 167 Mile 5: 8:44; HR 167 Mile 6: 8:19; HR 166
Course: Out and back and ROLLING HILLS. I hate that last hill into the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-13 8:36 AM

User image

Huntley, IL
Subject: Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed