FrontRunner
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 51s
Overall Rank = 67/236
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45 and had a cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal. We headed to the race at around 6:45 and got to the park by 7:15 - transition wasn't scheduled to open until 7:30 so we decided to drive the bike course to remind ourselves of the layout - it really helped later. We set up in transition and then checked in and hit the porta-potties. We shared a power bar and chatted with folks for a while
Event warmup:

I went off for a one mile warm up at 8:30 - probably pushed the pace too hard at a 7:45 but it felt good. Stretched and waited for the start of the race.
Run
  • 20m 3s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Started running into the slower runners from the previous heat at about a mile in and it threw me off. I realized my pace had dropped and tried to pick it up but by that time we were climbing and I probably pushed too hard
What would you do differently?:

Not get injured the three weeks prior to the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Ran past my bike and had to go back to find it.

Not run past my bike - need to work on my mount.
Bike
  • 40m
  • 13.35 miles
  • 20.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I really felt good going into the bike and thought that I wouldn't have the cramping issues that I had run into last year - they still hit me at the same point in the ride - I guess my body just isn't used to the multiple mile climb after pushing that hard on the run. I did down another gel as I made the last turn into the park - that seemed to finally give my calves what they needed and they loosened up.

I need to determine if slowing down on the big hill is what is required - better yet, I need to get my calves stronger so that I can push harder without the cramping.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

found my spot - got my shoes switched and helmet stowed in good order.

go faster
Run
  • 18m
  • 2.45 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

left transition following a gal who's pace seemed to match what I needed I just stayed behind her as we passed a few folks struggling out of T2. The first mile felt pretty good and as she picked up the pace I just stayed with her. At around 1.5 miles she started to pick it up again and my hamstring started to tighten up. I had to pull back to avoid re-injuring it. Got passed by a few people after I slowed down but I don't think it changed my place much.

I think it went as well as it could have
Post race
Warm down:

Insufficient - I grabbed my snacks and walked over to the course to wait for Renee - tried to stretch but didn't do a great job

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hamstring injury and calf cramps

Event comments:

The course and competition are great - the after race food is limited and it takes a while for awards and give-aways.

Last updated: 2012-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:03 | 03 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 33/236
Performance: Good
Started off a little fast at 6:30 but I felt pretty good so I tried to stay with it. The heart rate monitor was indicating 170's but that wasn't how I was feeling so I kept going. laps were 6:34, 6:53, 7:01
Course: Course was perfect - it rained last night but the path was dry and the rolling hills just weren't an issue.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:01
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:40:00 | 13.35 miles | 20.03 mile/hr
Overall: 83/236
Performance: Below average
Lap 1 - includes the big hill at the start 20.4 Lap 2 - started to feel cramping and had to back off 20.6 Lap 3 - cramping in the calves - really had to be careful 19.5
Wind: Little
Course: the course was great again this year with a good bike shoulder for most of the ride. only one left turn and officers at the big intersections. This is one of my favorite rides.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:18:00 | 02.45 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Overall: 64/236
Performance: Below average
Lap 1: 7:23 heart rate in the low 160's Lap 2: 7:19 heart rate in the mid 160's Lap 3: 7:43 heart rate in the upper 160's
Course: Same as the first course - run in reverse without the starting loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes