Competitor Group Inc.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 33/85
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special, parked about a mile away at the Navy stadium, got to ride in with a nice dude doing his first race. Seemed to loosen him up to chatter a bit. Picked up my packet, set up my area and listened to some music.
Event warmup:

Went for a short tempo run over one of the bridges to see the sun come up over Annapolis harbor. Stunningly beautiful. Checked my station, greased up and headed over to the swim start in the wettie.
Swim
  • 10m 9s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

My wife's comment was that we looked like a fast moving feeding frenzy of seals. I've never been in a washing machine that lasted past the first 200m, but that all changed today. I was getting knocks and bounces until about 50M before the end of the course. I understand there were people with sighting issues but this was ridiculous. Full on smack to the head at one point and arms to the ribs and hands on my feet almost the entire time. Regardless, I got out by what I could see as 5th in my wave, and I felt like I'd swam great given the conditions. I was puzzled by my watch, but I knew I'd done well and notched it up to 'figure it out later'.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I sprinted off the gun and was on a good line, with decent form. I didn't lose my cool getting hit every 10 seconds. I'd like to practice buoys more, as I could pick up a nice body length if I do it right and change my luck getting hit significantly
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Everything going great, and if "Getting up to speed and into shoes" wasn't included in the T1, it would have been great (11/85 AG). Unfortunately this is where everything went very very bad.

Nothing. I was a well oiled machine.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I jump on the bike perfectly timed, and I'm ready to KILL, my best of the three. Go to put my feet in and I my bike tire skids...huh? Oh well, I'm fine, correct, try again. Skids again. WTF? Have to pull over to the side, I'm about 300 yards into the course and something is wrong.
REAR FLAT.

I'm not in the shoes yet, so I throw the bike on my shoulder and start running back to the transition area barefoot. A CO2 shot won't take care of this, I'm thinking. The crowd thinks I'm running into T2 and someone yells 'hard core!!' I don't correct them. Get to the bike tent and let them start to check it out. They were fine, but they were not prepared for this. No tubes, no nothing. They stare at me blankly. Finally I say just fill it, screw it, if it flats, it flats, if not, I ride. I yank my shoes out of the pedals and strap up while they're doing this, I don't know why. Just need something to do. They get it up and start to check the wheel for true, finally I ask if it's holding, they say yes, so I grab it and start running back to the mount area in my bike shoes. Damn.
After I mount I look at my watch, I've lost at least 6 minutes on this crap. DAMN.
Man, I just do not care now, I start SHREDDING. I pass EVERYONE I SEE, I am MAD AS HELL. I get about 5 miles out and I swear it's moving around on me back there. I pass a guy and ask him to take a look - he says it looks alright, just maybe a little loose. I don't know what that means. Screw it. I'll be light on the corners I guess. SHRED. I am ripping it up. If I see you, I pass you. I'm not looking at my computer at all, I don't care, this is all feel.

Honestly, nothing. My tire was fine that morning riding in, fine when I checked in. I don't know what happened, and I was happy to see it flat later that afternoon so I could eliminate sabotage.
Transition 2
  • 41m 37s
Comments:

My time is reflecting the official record of my actual ride, the time spent fixing the flat, and my actual T2 time. I'd guess my T2 was about 2:00 given where my bike was and the fact that I was sketchy about doing a flying dismount not knowing whether I was riding a semi-flat, so I was running in bike shoes. If I take those 8 minutes (6 for the flat and 2 for the T2) off my total recorded time, that puts my ride at a blistering 33 minutes. That's about right :) Too bad about the flat!

I need to figure out how to thaw my feet on the bike. Frozen feet for the first mile on the run.
Run
  • 24m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I admit, I wasn't running very hard because I knew I wasn't going to do well because of the flat. I saw plenty of bikes from my heat coming in to transition despite a great ride, and it just wasn't going to happen for me today. I'm a little pissed I didn't gun it anyway just for kicks, but my mind was clearly distracted. I ran for pleasure, and had a nice time.

Focused regardless. I passed up an opportunity to try and gun the 5K just to see what would happen, with no stress of place, and I didn't take it. Dumb.
Post race
Warm down:

Banana, water, a little electrolyte, then a beer :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A flat tire.

Event comments:

I will definitely be back. I loved the venue, and the race was very very well organized and attended.

Last updated: 2012-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:09 | 500 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 23/85
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Some courses are short, some are long. This was not 500 meters, it was more like 600 judging by mine and other's times. Not a complaint, more just a huh? looking at my watch getting out. That really wasn't the issue. Neither was the cold water (I'm guessing 64F, but it wasn't that bad with the time we had to tread first and get warm in the wettie).
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:00:00 | 12.5 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/85
Wind: Little
Course: Low grade hills, well paved, well marked, only one short 'no pass' zone.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 41:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:33 | 03.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/85
Course: Uphill out of town, then basically flat. 2 rock bands on the course were a VERY nice distraction. Downhill Main Street finish of absolute picturesque perfection onto the docks.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-13 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: TriRock Annapolis

2012-05-14 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4207742

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: TriRock Annapolis
pretty sure my wife saw you running back into transition barefoot and hauling. What swim wave were you in?
2012-05-14 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4208237

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Wave 4 - green caps in the water. I was rocking the silver aero helmet and a black kit if she saw me. I loved the guy that shouted 'HARD CORE!' and got the crowd cheering for me. Too bad I didn't know you were there, would have been great to meet you.
2012-05-14 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4208800

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

fisherman76 - 2012-05-14 1:38 PM Wave 4 - green caps in the water. I was rocking the silver aero helmet and a black kit if she saw me. I loved the guy that shouted 'HARD CORE!' and got the crowd cheering for me. Too bad I didn't know you were there, would have been great to meet you.

Then she didn't see you. There was another guy who was running barefoot into transition, and come to think of it, he had to be returning - they missed my wave somehow and were there until the last one went off, then realized they were off, and went out to the bike course. My kids were standing in front of the academy gate. Meg said a guy came around the last corner running with his bike, probably with a problem, and was barefoot, shoes clipped in. Now that I think of it, I think he was returning, the way she described the place and time.

You were probably long gone by the time I even finished the bike. I was in wave 8, and had a total time of 1:49.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock Annapolis Rss Feed