YMCA
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 23s
Overall Rank = 169/260
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45am. Slept fairly well but kept checking the clock to make sure I did not oversleep. My stomach was doing flip-flops so I didn't eat as planned. Ate a banana and 1/2 bagel in the car driving to the race. Got to the race site at 6:00am. Checked-in, got my timing chip and got marked. Set-up my transition area. I chose the the end of the bike rack and racked my bike, helmet on top with glasses, shoes and socks out, racing belt, etc.
Event warmup:

I biked a short bit and made sure my gears were set in the lowest position. I had arranged to meet someone for a warm-up swim (met her from this site) at 6:25am. She was SUPER nice and we met up with some other ladies who wanted to swim too. I only swam about 150M b/c I knew that I hadn't eaten much and I didn't want to get too tired. Re-checked my transition area before walking back to the start at 6:55am.
Swim
  • 13m 45s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I watched the first wave (all men not in special groups) and I wasn't nervous at all. I made sure I was toward the back and in the middle of the pack as many veterans had instructed me to do. As soon as the whistle blew I took off running and when I was in thigh-high water I lunged forward to do a dolphin swim under a wave. Well, right as I did I got kicked in the neck and started gasping for air. Since I was still able to stand, I stood up and took a few deep breaths as a few people passed me. I started toward the first bouy but was still having trouble getting my breath - I just couldn't find my rhythm. I was gasping and I couldn't see anything (in the water or out). I was getting bumped so I started to do the breaststroke thinking it would help - in hindsight, I think I just freaked out once I got kicked and I never recovered. I was at the half way mark when I heard the horn for wave 3 and I realized that I was WAY behind. I wanted to stop and if there had been a lifeguard/support person nearby I probably would have but there wasn't. When I reached the final turn I pulled off my foggy goggles and decided to finish with the breaststroke and just get to shore. I was very disappointed but thought I would have to make it up on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

MORE swimming in the ocean and double my distances in the pool. I will wear lighter goggles (I wore dark tinted ones) and use de-fogger. Since swimming is supposed to be my stronger area, I will start near the front of the pack on the inside to see if that will help me avoid the masses any better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

The race people were yelling not to mount bikes until after we passed the timing mats. Once I passed the mat I put my right foot into my toe cage and as I was raising my left leg I was bumped from behind. I didn't fall and neither did the guy who bumped me but it caught me off guard. Another rookie mistake!!

I would run harder out of the water into T1. I will also practice mounting the bike while running and stay out of the way!
Bike
  • 33m 52s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I made sure to stay two lengths away which was hard at times but I didn't want any penalties. I did manage to pass people and I was only passed by four riders. I bought a 24oz water bottle a few days before the race and never realized that it didn't "pop out" of the cage like my shorter one. I was never able to get it out of the cage and was afraid of dropping it or wiping out so I NEVER drank a drop on the bike (stupid, stupid). I did have a gel at mile 6 but it went down HARD with no liquid. I also had some trouble dismounting the bike gracefully and re-racking it.

Get a new bike! My bike is an old 1980's steel bike and I think a new one might make a difference. Practice grabbing the water bottle at higher speed and also practice mounting and dismounting while moving.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I had some trouble re-racking my bike. Took my helmet off and put my hat on and off I went.

Practice racking my bike? Maybe read the rules to see if there is a penalty if it is not racked properly. If there is no penalty, just leave it and go!! LOL
Run
  • 30m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

It is no secret that I need to improve my run times. I would like to run closer to 26mins and push myself harder on the last mile.

Not walk at all - I walked three times!! Hydrate more and push myself harder on the last mile.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched just a bit and had several cups of gatorade and water. I didn't feel like eating b/c I was definitely dehydrated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My MIND!! I should have been able to recover in the swim better (from the kick in the neck). I was ready to give up before I started. I also messed up the bike leg b/c I wasn't able to hydrate (get to my bottle) and then my mind beat me on the run. I beat my personal goal of 1:22 (just barely) and think I could have done closer to 1:17 which would have made me very happy. Oh well, there is always next year...or another race this year!!

Event comments:

This was my first and only race so it is hard to rate it but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and all of the wonderful people I met. I can't wait to decide which event I will do next!

Last updated: 2006-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:45 | 437 yards | 03m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 0/260
Performance: Bad
Suit: DeSoto Skinsuit
Course: The course seemed longer than 400M. The bouys were set out about 100 meters from shore and seemed about 300 meters long. I think it was closer to 500M.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:52 | 10 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: The course was flat and we had a traffic lane to ourselves for the first 5 miles which was great. We had to ride the last 5 miles on a busy two-lane road with cars. This affected my passing ability twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:39 | 03 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/12
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was a shorter version of the bike leg - flat. Running is my worst area so I slowly worked into my pace. I ran for the first 1.5 miles and was looking for water the entire way. Volunteers kept saying it was at the next turn but I never saw any. It turns out there was NO water on the course until mile 2.5...who needs it then? I was DYING for some hydration and just tried to keep my legs moving. I stopped twice after mile 2 and had a slow jog to the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-29 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: Y-Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Y-Tri Rss Feed