MCM
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 155/343
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 35/53
Pre-race routine:

I woke up and ate a pria bar and a banana. Went back to sleep for a little bit because I was ready to go with 45 min before I had to leave. Actually worked out because my stomach didn't get sick until long after the race. Drank some gatorade and water. Enjoyed a gu during my walk to the start and drank more water. It was already SUPER HOT and it was 7 am.
Event warmup:

Walked from my house to the start at a pretty brisk pace. It's about 1.75 miles from my house to the start. Stood around and shot the breeze with Possum and K, met Paul (pbarbato), and SimplyStu. Drank more water.
Run
  • 1h 03m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like crap at first...probably had to much water because by the time the first water station came up I really didn't feel like putting anything in my mouth. However, towards the end of the race there wasn't enough water stations. The distribution of water stations was a bit off. There needed to be one at the half way and near to the end instead of the other way around. Once we looped back onto my usual running route I felt so much better because I knew exactly how much I had left to run. Gathered a second wind near the lake. It quickly died. Possum met adversity at the 8k marker due to some renegade coffee-cake eating earlier near the 4k-5k marker. She's one tough cookie though because she finished about a minute behind us. Starting feeling good again until we crossed under a bridge. Starting shivering and getting all cold.....NOT GOOD. We were so near to the finish that I didn't worry about it and it went away- especially when we pulled away from the shade of trees and the breeze of the lake. The pavement was just radiating heat.
What would you do differently?:

Get more sleep. I worked at the restaurant the night before til almost 12 pm. It was soooooo hot! I should have been drinking more water throughout the evening to catch up with my hydration. We don't have bussers or food runners everynight so we are responsible for more work than most servers. Plus, we don't use trays. This means twice as many trips back and forth to the kitchen and the dining room. Also, went out pretty hard on Friday night. That was dumb, but I barely ever go out...EVER! and My roomates HOT brother was visiting...come on guys...I had to go. As Paul said, it was my obligation! :) I didn't stay out til bar time like the rest of them, but when everyone came home they were so loud I had to wake up and socialize.....I had to! :) I will be more serious about the events leading up to my next race. BUT I HAD SO MUCH FUN THIS WEEKEND! WELL WORTH IT! Oh, and I PR'd. (it was my first race) I think Paul and I are going to have rockstar race photos. We stopped talking and really concentrated on our form....hehehe....it's his evolution against my chi....the photos will prove who wins.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around looking for Possum to find out she was right behind us....hahah...oops....went to food line...almost got into a fight with grumpy man that budded in front of us. Kathryn called him out on it in a very fair way and he snapped. Then he admitted to starting in line behind us, but I guess since he only budded a few spots he figured it was ok. Then the recess bell rang and we had to all go back to class. We're planning on telling the teacher on him so he gets assigned indoor recess. By this I mean, he was acting like a total 5th grade jerk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration, undertraining.....I hadn't run in about a week.....heat

Event comments:

um, it was hot. Fun. I'd do it again tomorrow. probably help if i had been trianing properly.

Last updated: 2006-05-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:42 | 06.21 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/53
Overall: 155/343
Performance: Average
Possum and I decided to go strapless. Paul had his HRM so we decided to go off of his, heheh.......although I'm not sure he checked it.
Course: Started at Capitol Square, headed down Willy St., and cut back to the Monona Lake Path (part of my usual running route).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison,WI
Subject: Mad City Marathon - 10K

2006-05-30 11:03 AM
in reply to: #437821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Mad City Marathon - 10K

I'm still upset that they didn't make an announcement over the loudspeaker about it being both of our first races...we'll have to come up with better things to announce for the Racine sprint.  It was great fun meeting you and running with you...I hope we do it again soon.

P.

2006-05-30 11:16 AM
in reply to: #437821

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Mad City Marathon - 10K

Yippee, AJ, you are now a RUNNER! Just a few weeks, and we can add triathlete to that list.

PS- Nice thighs  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mad City Marathon - 10K Rss Feed