Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 41s
Overall Rank = 436/
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Mary and Nick did the 5k Sat and have been there, done that so I let them sleep in and come for the finish. We stayed just a few blocks away but I always bring a lot of crap so I drove over.

Event warmup:

Just ran around the parking lot a bit to warmup.
Run
  • 1h 47m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

We knew it was going to be hot and humid but it was early so I was still hoping for a decent run. Got in a good spot toward the front and off we went.
Only took a little over a mile before I was sweating much more than normal and knew a pr was out of the question. Actually with the little training I had done that was never realistic. I was able to keep my desired pace for the first 5 miles but by mile 7 I was slowing down. It was frustrating because My head, lungs and heart were fine but the legs were very heavy. Hard to tell if it was the heat or lack of prep but by mile 10 it was obvious that the heat was getting to me. Started getting that "tingly" feeling in my arms and actually walked the last couple of aid stations which I have never had to do in a half before. I never felt that I was in trouble, just struggling a bit and I have to admit that as soon as I know that I am not going to have a good day it is hard to push. That darn mental aspect always gets me in trouble.
Near the end there were a couple of people in trouble. How crappy would that be to be able to see Lambeau right there and not be able to get to it. Anyway tried to finish strong, just glad it was over at that point.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a massage, a beer and a brat. Oh yeah, then another beer.

Event comments:

I was surprised at how crowded the finish area was. It never occured to me at the time that people had the option to do the half even if they signed up for the full. We didn't hear that it was called until we were in the car heading home when all our phones went off.
It is the right call when the local facilities are full. Buttom line is that people need to know there bodies and limitations. But I know how it is when you train for it and are ready you just want to push so bad that common sense can go right out the window. That is why they had to be the voice of reason and shut it down. Still sucks!

Last updated: 2012-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:41 | 13.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Nothing daunting here. Nice run through mostly tree lined neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?