General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Paltz, New York
United States
CM2 Promotions
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 43m 29s
Overall Rank = 43/49
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Arrived a little early, so I would get a chance to say hello to JohnnyKay who was doing the long course which starts an hour before the short course. Found John and was able to chat a few minutes and wish him luck.

Also met BT'er czhechchick15 (jana) who was doing the middle distance. It was very nice to be able to chat with her and wish her luck also.

I have to say that the people who do the long course (5,84,15, with 3 loops of the bike course, and 3 loops of the run course for the 2nd run), are incredible athletes. The middle distance is F1 format with distances of 5,29,5,29,5, but that is still beyond my ability.
Event warmup:

About a half mile of easy running.
Run
  • 57m 30s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a minor injury over the Winter that limited my run training, and like a big dummy, I didn't ride nearly enough either so I came into this race really under prepared, and was really planning on enjoying the day and the beautiful scenery and not really racing.

Due to my lack of preparation my strategy for the first run was to cruise the downhills, shuffle most of the climbs, and power hike the steepest parts. I started off at about my normal training pace, and after the first half mile I didn't feel quite right. My breathing was hard, and although I don't use a HR monitor I felt like my HR was a little high. Probably a combination of warmer temps than we have had recently, high humidity, and being out of shape. Mostly being way out of shape.

I ended up walking more than I would like, and there wasn't a lot of power in my power hiking.

I really enjoyed this run since it is such a pretty trail run. I also spent a little extra time chatting with the nice ladies at the water stop. You pass it twice on each run and the volunteers are always fantastic. Thanks, ladies!
What would you do differently?:

Train more. A lot more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Bike
  • 2h 29m 27s
  • 29 miles
  • 11.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike feeling pretty good. the first quarter mile of the exit from the park is dirt and gravel with some steep hills so you have to be careful, but I got through that OK. Once you get on to the main road you hit a tough climb, and that went really well and I passed a couple of people.

Next is a steep descent with some difficult turns. I am a big chicken descending, and this part of the course always scares me. I think I am getting worse with age, because I was on the brakes way too much, and I was way too slow. Got to the bottom, started to feel a little bump-bump-bump, and realized I had a flat. I think I overheated the back tire by riding the brakes too much, and that caused my flat. It was so hot I burned my fingers on the rim when I took it off. Got it changed OK, but it took way too long; more than 10 minutes!

At about mile 8 JohnnyKay, who was on his second loop of the bike, passed me. He blew right by me, so only enough time to say hello. He was rocking!

The rest of the ride was uneventful, although as usual I was way too slow on the long descent from Lake Minnewaska. Stopped at the aid station to refill my water bottle, and the volunteers were great there as well. When I stopped I realized how hot it was getting. Good thing the volunteers had one of those "ez ups" for some shade.

Heading back into transition I got going a little too fast on the dirt road, hit a rut, and nearly crashed. I yelled out Fudge pretty loudly. Only I didn't say fudge. I said the word, the big one, the queen mother of dirty words. The f dash dash dash word. There was an older couple walking nearby, so I yelled out "sorry", but I'm not sure if they heard any of what I said.

Train more. Stay off the brakes. Not get a flat. But mostly train more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Run
  • 1h 11m 36s
  • 5 miles
  • 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs actually felt pretty good coming off the bike. Still, I couldn't run very fast or even very much. I walked a lot more than the first time, and on the steeper parts it was really more of a stroll.

Around mile 4 you run near the pavillion and you can smell the burgers grilling. Man, did they smell good! Good motivation to finish strong.

Train more. A whole lot more.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer. Cheeseburgers. Watermelon. Beer. Nice.

Somehow I missed JohnnyKay coming in on the bike and on his second run. Sorry John. He finished first in his age group in the long course and 8th overall. Outstanding!!! Congratulations John!!!!

Saw Czechchick15, and she also had an incredible race! First woman in the middle distance, and 10th overall. Congratulations Jana!!!

Well, my slowest ever AmZof by about 40 minutes, but still a great day. I am looking forward to coming back next year and getting back to about 4 hours like usual.

Event comments:

A fantastic event! Challenging and beautiful course, great volunteers, and by far the best post race food. Even the short course is challenging, but if I can do it, lots of people can. I am very lucky to live less than an hour aw away, and I will continue to do this race every year.

Last updated: 2011-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:30 | 05 miles | 11m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 46/49
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly trail run, with a fair amount of single track. 1200 ft elevation gain and loss.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:11
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
02:29:27 | 29 miles | 11.64 mile/hr
Overall: 44/49
Wind:
Course: Hilly!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:11:36 | 05 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 45/49
Course: Same as the first.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-25 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon - Short Course Rss Feed