World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 13m 32s
Overall Rank = 606/2019
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 106/336
Pre-race routine:

Make sure everything that I need is packed up the night before. In bed by 9pm and up the next mornign at 3:30am. breakfast was a bagel and peanut butter and a bowl of oatmeal with a cup of coffee. Walked to transition to get everything raeady for the day.
Event warmup:

The walk from transition to the swim start is about a mile, so its a good chance to loosen up the legs a bit. Once at the swim start just tried to stay focused on the day ahead, talked with others from my tri group and once they called the AG'ers into the water, i said goodbye to the wife and squid and headed down to the water.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 56s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me. Started well right and up front, which is where I had decided to start after last years brutal swim.Minimal contact the first 200 yards or so and just settled into a good comfortable pace. I found someone who was about on my pace and we swam down the lake together swapping places behind each others shoulder. We got seperated at teh turn buoy and going back up the lake I never could find a consistant person to draft with. Never really got into a position where I felt crowded or uncomfortable. The contact was minimal and if I felt things closing around me, I would lift up for just a sec and find a clear spot and get back into my normal pace. Made the turn up the canal towards the finish and came out of the water at 1:14 which is 12min better than last year
What would you do differently?:

Nothing .. this is about where i thought I would come out of the water. Just need to improve overall swim form and fitness if I am going to break 1:10
Transition 1
  • 05m 46s
Comments:

Found my bag easily, and ran into the tent. Forgot I had my swimskin on and by the time I realized it I had my bike shoes on already. So, I had to take off the shoes remove swimskin and put shoes back on. Easily cost me 1 min there. Then I stopped at the portalet on the way out. Other than the issue with my swinskin it was a smooth transition

Dont forget to take of the swimskin before I get my shoes on!
Bike
  • 5h 32m 5s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off on the bike and within 10 minutes one of the guys I train with came by gave a quick hello and disappeared. I had a plan going in based on my average wattage output and the intent was to try and stick to that no matter how many people went by me. The first half of the ride was really uneventful for me other than I just couldnt get comfortable in the saddle. It wasnt a huge deal or major discomfort, it just wasnt "right" so I shifted around on my seat alot. Executed my nutrition plan pretty well, stayed on top of my salt tab intake and made sre I was getting in enough water.
I had a bottle of Gatorade on the bike but about 1/2 way though the ride that was gone so I grabbed a bottle of perform at the aid station. Not soon after getting about 1/2 way through that bottle I could tell my stomach was settling right so I stayed away from the perform the rest of the ride and by the time I pulled back into transition, I was feeling prety good.

Either train with the perform or stay away from it on race day. I dont use it for electrolytes since I have my salt tabs, I just use it for something different to drink during the ride.
Transition 2
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

Didnt rush, but didnt take my time either. Just made sure I was right before I left the tent, then a quick stop for some sun screen

just move faster
Run
  • 5h 17m 10s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, It all comes down to the run, right? my plan was to break the run down into 5 mile segments and just re-evaluate where I was after each segment and adjust as needed. Miles 1-5 were good. I settled into a comfortable pace, only walking the aid stations. First 5 splits were 9:28,9:41,9:44,9:38,9:23. I am feeling good but starting to cramp a little bit. I took a salt tab, backed off on the pace a little bit because I wasnt ready to conceed to any walking other than the aid stations just yet. 2nd 5 splits were 9:28,10:45,10:47;10:52,10:5. Still cramping and legs are starting to hurt so I walked a full mile between aid stations. About 3/4 of the way the legs started to tighten up and I was worried if I would actually be able to start running again. Once I got past the aid station, I kicked the legs and started to jog and try to get back into some sort of comfort zone. 3rd 5 splits were 13:50,16:24,11:22,10:38,10:54. So, we are now at mile 16 and I am back to at least a managable 10:xx pace and although I am hurting, I am running and thats all I can ask for. Enter that very dark time when you just kind of tune everything out and try to just keep moving forward. There were times in this section where I was seriously doubting my ability to finish this race! Splits clearly depict when I walked and when I was running. 4th 5 splits were 10:44,11:28,15:00,10:56,14:02. And it all goes south! On each loop of the run, we had to run up a dirt embankment to get off of the canal path and out to the main roads. On my third and last run up this hill, I pulled my achilles. From that point on I was not able to run and reduced to as quick a walk as I could muster for the remaining 6.2 miles. Finals splits were 11:49,15:24,18:53,16:08, 18:35,22:36 ... Whats done is done! Ended up beeting last years time by 3min!

Post race
Warm down:

went back to the hotel, took a shower, then found some food and a cold beer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

given the conditions and the achilles, this is all I had on this day

Last updated: 2011-12-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:56 | 4224 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 65/336
Overall: 416/2019
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Torque
Course: Down and back swim in the main lake, then right turn into a canal and the swim finish in the canal
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No