El Reno, Oklahoma
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 13s
Overall Rank = 162/195
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 22/22
Pre-race routine:

I spent an hour on saturday morning packing all of my transition stuff and trying to think through the race. I took a little bit of time to pack the trunk and load my bike so that I wouldn't need to worry about it on sunday. I went to bed early on saturday night, but didn't get much sleep. Woke up sunday morning at 4:30, got a quick shower, breakfast, and was on the road at 5:30.
Event warmup:

After an hour drive, I was on site at 6:30. I got checked in, set up my transition area and just hung out until the race started. I tried to stretch a little, but didn't really warm up much. I took my first GU about 15 minutes before the race started.
Swim
  • 33m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first triathlon with open water swimming, so it was my first experience with the washing machine effect. Overall, I was very happy with the swim. The water was cold this morning because some thunderstorms rolled through the area overnight. Another guy told me that I looked very cold before we started. I was one of a few without a wetsuit.

The first 200 meters was rough, trying to not swim over others while also not trying to be swam over. I had to breast stroke a little becuase I didn't feel like I had enough room to freestyle. After the first turn buoy, The water opened up a little bit and I finally started to get into a rhythm. The 2nd wave started to catch up to me at the end of the 1st lap, but by then, it was spread out enough to where it didn't bother me too much. I just kept telling myself to keep swimming, one arm in front of the other.
What would you do differently?:

A wetsuit would have been nice.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

T1 went very well. I took my time and just tried to make sure that everything went smoothly and I didn't forget anything. I got my socks and shoes on, my heart rate monitor, my shirt, sunglasses and helmet pretty quickly, took my 2nd GU, unracked my bike, and took off running towards the line

nothing. I was very pleased with my first transition.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 11s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I was again very pleased with my bike. The coure was hillier than I thought it would be, but I accomplished my two main goals. I wanted to stay in aero for most of the ride and negative split my laps. The only times I got out of areo was to drink and some when I was climbing the hills. I was excited to pass 6 other bikers on the route, so I knew I wasn't the slowest person out there.

pedal faster. I also need to practice hills more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

T2 once again went very smoothly. I got my bike racked, my helmet off, and I took my 3rd GU.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 04m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

The run for me was just average, a little slower than what I was hoping for. It was hot, and my calves started to cramp about a mile into the run. I was hoping to run 5 minutes, walk 1, but I ended up running about 3 minutes and walking 1. I took lots of gatorade and water at each aid station and just tried to power through. At the start of the 2nd lap, my legs were starting to feel better, but they were still tired. I still negative split my run, with my 2nd lap being about 3-4 minutes faster than the first.

run more
Post race
Warm down:

Once I finished, I grabbed a bottle of water and had to sit down for a minute. I went to the bathroom and found out that I hydrated very well during the race. I packed up my transition stuff, loaded up the car, checked my time and headed home satified that I did my best. I got home and found out that I only lost about half a pound, so I was very pleased with my food/liquid intake for the whole race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

genetics. I will never be better better than a MOP triathlete, but I feel like I did my best today and had a very good race overall.

Event comments:

I wish there was more post race activities. Once I finished, there was only snack food and hot dogs to eat, and I was hoping for something else, since I don't like hot dogs very much. I didn't hang around very long after the race, but for such a cheap race, I guess they had to cut back somewhere.

Last updated: 2012-03-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:05 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/22
Overall: 0/195
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 loop triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:11 | 24.85 miles | 16.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/22
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 2 loop out and back down route 66
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:28 | 06.21 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/22
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-03 6:20 PM

Norman, OK
Subject: Route 66 Olympic Triathlon

2012-06-03 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4242053

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Route 66 Olympic Triathlon
Well done and great RR.  I have my first OLY next weekend and I am hoping it goes as smoothly and that I can be as satisfied with my result.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Route 66 Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed