Melbourne Beach Rotary
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 14s
Overall Rank = 184/605
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 20/37
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, ate bagel w/PB and banana with big cup of coffee, number 2 before leaving!
Event warmup:

None. Race started 30 minutes late as timing company didn't have the chips with them when they setup the day before and were waiting for them to show up.
Swim
  • 13m 11s
  • 598 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took it easy, let the rush go and trailed behind and still got caught up in the 1st buoy mess. Not 10 yards from the buoy had a guy taking a right turn across the front of me away from the buoy. He got a nasty dunking from the guy on the outside of me! No problem sighting and tried to stay on the outside but still had swimmers not able to sight messing up my line. My goggles fogged up on the last short leg, thank goodness they had mini buoy flags lining the inside of the course. I forgot to wet my goggles up at the start. Climbed the ladder onto the pier and had a nice long jog up to the T1 mat. Felt good not tired in any way.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?route...

What would you do differently?:

Could have swam harder but as it was I still beat my swim time from the last 3/4 races here. Since then the course distance has been very reliable yardage wise as it is set by line.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

No rush in T1, put on my glasses, helmet and shoes and jogged with bike to exit. Time was the slowest of the last 4 years by only 2 sec and 36 sec off fastest.

Nothing, only a C race and had clear progression of things in T1.
Bike
  • 42m 56s
  • 15.58 miles
  • 21.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a strong tailwind on the way down, which in turn was a stiff headwind on the return. Kept it comfortable hard all the way knowing a tough run was next. Had a 69 year guy with woman behind him doing a great job legally spacing him pass me at about mile 9. With the stiff headwind I could feel their draft while staying legal off her. She was riding smart so I worked it to stay behind them getting any draft benefit I could. Ended up with a decent pace.

Nothing, other something to be said about training for it!
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Took my time. Decided to wear sock since I didn't put the quick laces on the shoes for the race. Rinsed off too as I could feel the salt water/sweat crust on my face.

A lot, slowest T2 in 6 years! But not an A-race. Should have went sockless and QL. Could have had 3 spots if I had past 3 year average T2.
Run
  • 28m 15s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Going in I was concerned about the run as calf issues have been my on going issue. Started off easy and was really comfortable at half mile point when a 4 AG guys started passing me. Decided to stick with them upping the pace a bit more and was still ok. At halfway water station I walked it dumping water on my head and took in some Gatorade then got back into into it. Lost some time to the AG guys but was feeling good and upped the pace to moderate-hard effort. With no watch I had no idea what I was doing it was all RPE. Caught one AG by 2 mile mark and was closing in on all but the 1st guy. At next water station I dumped 2 more cups of water and shortly thereafter passed the other two guys. At 3 mile mark I was starting to hurt but legs were feeling good and was slowly closing on the last AG guy but was running out of time and getting close to hitting the wall. Last tenth into the long finish shoot was hard and did all I could to hold pace. Did I mention it was hot with full sun, extra 30 minutes from the delayed start makes a big difference with the sun loading on you.

Nothing considering lack of training.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. They handed out ice cold towels and ice cold water that I promptly dumped on my head. Found my wife and neighbors and recovered before hitting the beer trailer and food tent. Talked it up with some other triathletes I know.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training...this is sounding old!

Event comments:

With lack of training due to on going leg issue, business work overload and just plain laziness I was actually amazed at the result for this race. Went in knowing this was a C race and didn't wear any electronics, not even my simple Timex watch and ignored the bike CPU. If I would have averaged transition time from the last 4 races I could have had 4 more spots on the AG overall.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:11 | 598 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/37
Overall: 373/605
Performance:
Time includes long 130 yard run up pier to T1 mat at transition entrance
Suit:
Course: Triangular, "0.34 miles as measured by marked rope", ~150y out, ~300y across, ~150y in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:56 | 15.58 miles | 21.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 106/37
Overall: 12/605
Performance: Average
Didn't pay attention the CPU.
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back along A1A.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:15 | 03.4 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/37
Overall: 203/605
Performance: Good
RPE only
Course: Rectangular course, some shade early then all sun. Water stations at ~halfway and ~2.5 miles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes