General Discussion Race Reports! » Daybreak Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Daybreak Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
South Jordan, Utah
United States
US Trisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 39s
Overall Rank = 8/227
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, showered and ate peanut butter on toast with gatorade, packed the carArrived almost an hour later than the pre race materials suggested... Still had tons of time. Only downside was that I couldn't get a decent spot in transition, which was packed and a little too small.
Event warmup:

Ate my shot blox, did a couple minutes of light jogging, and walked to the swim start. There wasn't much room to warm up, but I jumped in the water early and got used to the cold water. Swam back and forth to some rocks a couple times.

Swim
  • 16m 50s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall a pretty good swim for me. Was able to do a bit of drafting, no major navigation errors. Didnt feel like I pushed myself much in the swim, but that's ok.

Long run from the swim exit to the transition area, I would guess I was getting out of the water in 15 something.
What would you do differently?:

I was a bit wide on the last turn, otherwise a good swim for me at this stage.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Huge issue with my right shoe. Somehow the zip tie came completely out of the Velcro strap and I had a hell of a time getting it back in. Had to pull off to the side and mess with it for a couple minutes, eventually I bit it off and got the shoe on.... Biggest mess up I've had in a race so far.
Bike
  • 42m 30s
  • 14.6 miles
  • 20.61 mile/hr
Comments:

For some reason water tasted horrible, I literally barged in my mouth a couple times. Not sure if my bottle was mouldy or I just had a left over nasty taste in my mouth from that horrible lake.

The shoe thing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Probably my fastest T2 yet. Love the new Zoot OVWA shoes or this reason, they're super easy to get on and off. They feel light running but don't quite have the "energetic" feeling of my old Fastwitch 4s.

Nothing. Best T2 I've had yet.
Run
  • 23m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Only one water station on the run. Cup was more ice than water. I almost choked on a cube.

Overbooked just a touch on the bike trying to make up for the shoe thing and riding off the course with a couple miles to go, isn't leave much in the tank for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Layed in the grass. Ate, drank water and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental mistakes.

Event comments:

Race was OK. Several things could have been a lot better. Somehow it didn't affect me habit a great time.

Last updated: 2012-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:50 | 820 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/227
Performance: Good
Surprisingly no panic issues today despite the cold water. Quite a bit of contact considering the TT start, very narrow swim area.
Suit: Full
Course: Point to point swim, navigation fairly easy. Water fairly disgusting.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:47
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:42:30 | 14.6 miles | 20.61 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Happened to start cyclometer just after getting in my shoes. Avg recorded pace was 22.11, cyclometer generally estimates a bit high, but still a great bike split for me considering the elevation gain on the course. Would have been a great bike split if not for the wardrobe malfunction. Also, rode off course costing a minute or so. The roundabout on the way back wasnt marked and me and another guy went the wrong way for a bit.... Grrrrrrr
Wind: Little
Course: Flat, transitioning to a false flat, to a long but not overly steep hill, a quick downhill and a short steep hill leading to the turnaround. Downhill almost all the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:54 | 03.11 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Several people I talked to confirmed what I felt: run course was long. I wouldnt care, but it would have been nice if they advertised the correct distance... The couple people I talked to with Garmins said the course was somewhere between 3.33 and 3.4 miles, meaning I ran about 7:10s which would have been a 22:15 or so 5k... Which is right on target for what I was expecting, although I secretly was Jilin to break into the 21:xx range...
Course: Loop around the lake, lots of recreational users on the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No