Tri on the Run
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 22s
Overall Rank = 48/203
Age Group = Relay - Female
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30; bagel and a little Gatorade and water at 5:10...2 hours pre-race.
Event warmup:

~600 swim @ varying paces
Swim
  • 20m 21s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

48/203 overall swim
5th overall female swim
4/13 overall AG (F 35-39) swim

Disappointed not to be first out of the water for the relay. Really anticipated giving my team a lead and letting Nik build a nice cushion. However, when looking at the big picture, I have to say I am pleased with the overall results, both as a female and in the age group I would have raced. Interestingly, the only swimmers to beat me were in that ridiculously competitive 35-39 age group.

First time ever to do a beach start. I probably started swimming sooner than most. I figure my strength is not running, so as soon as I could get into the swim, it would be better for me. A beach start definitely elevates the HR faster, though!

I was glad to get a starting spot in the front right...I got ahead of the traffic from the get-go. I did have to contend with a "leg tugger" in the first ~200, and then just before the first turn I had the "zig-zagger" continuously crossing my line. Overall, though, the traffic wasn't too bad, and there was lots of open water around me. I especially had lots of open space after the second turn and return to shore.

Caught one white cap on the first turn, then passed a lot of white caps in the final stretch. Nice, especially since that wave had a 5-minute head start.

Most of my swim was a 5-stroke breathing pattern. I did do some 5/3 in the first stretch, and mainly 3 after the first turn, then back to primarily 5 in the final turn. The thought of going to 3 on the short segment was so that I would have something left in the tank to really cruise on the final stretch.

Sun was not a factor, or didn't seem to be for me. At the first turn we were heading east, so I am glad I use tinted/mirrored goggles.

Nice swim course. Not too much chop in the water either.
What would you do differently?:

Stayed with a 5-stroke breathing pattern the entire way...really red-line it and not back off or conserve for a strong finish. Go all-out for as long as it can take me.

Speed suit some day...

Scope out the relay swimmers and try to position near them if possible to keep an eye on their position in the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Knowing I did not have to bike or run after this segment, I sprinted out of the water and to transition. Passed several men on the carpeted path into transition.

I was definitely gassed by the end of this segment. Was on the verge of vomiting and it took awhile to get the HR to settle.

Caitlin had a little difficulty in removing and attaching the timing strap...but with it being wet, it's not the easiest task to do in a hurry.
Bike
  • 53m 22s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Nik passed the team that had the lead coming out of the swim and had about 1:15 lead on them when we started the run.

Get a lead coming out of the swim for Nik going into the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Didn't realize Nik was already in transition. I looked away and Caitlin told me she was coming in. I got the strap off and on to Caitlin and sent her on her way.
Run
  • 43m 47s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

First time to train or race with Caitlin...came on the suggestion of a friend.

Really enjoyed it and think we could be a contender in more relays in the future.

This was a run PR for Caitlin. She told me her goal was 46:00 (but then said that's what she was telling us, while hoping for 45:00)...safe to say she crushed it!

Get a lead coming out of the swim to give my teammates a better cushion.
Post race
Warm down:

Donut & a couple slices of pizza.
Grape Gatorade & water

Overall, we were the 2nd fastest relay of any division. The Female Relay division was ~:30 difference from 1st to 2nd (despite the published time; and 3rd place was ~5:00 back, not 20 seconds as published). We would have won the mixed or even the men's relay with our time today. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being brave enough to push harder.

Event comments:

Very nice small race. Lots of friendly volunteers and racers. Plenty of post-race food. Just be ready to deal with the heat on the bike and run!

Last updated: 2012-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:21 | 1094 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 48/203
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Swimsuit
Course: Triangular counter-clockwise in Galveston Bay; low visibility - to elbows
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: