View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burnet, Texas
United States
Total Time = 1h 34m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

A couple of months back, Runner's World put out a special Trail edition. I really enjoyed reading it and thought maybe I'd like to try a trail race at some point. When I went to get new shoes after reading the magazine, I splurged and bought some trail shoes as well. Next thing to do was find a race, which I did. Rogue Running, one of the local running stores, puts on a trail series. Too bad I wasn't interested in trail running when it started, because I heard this race was the most technical/difficult of the three. Oh well, if you are going to jump in, you might as well go all out, right?
Event warmup:

Got up early and headed for the race site (about 1.5 hour drive). Got there, got the chip, hit the port-a-potty and got ready to run. I probably should have done a little warm up, but I don't normally, even for road races, so I didn't for this either. Besides, I wasn't worried about my time.
Run
  • 1h 34m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first ever trail race. I lined up sort of in the middle of the pack, but further toward the back. When we were told to "go" a large group took off. The first part of the course was an uphill. That will get your heart rate going right off the bat. The course was wide at first but after climbing for a while we headed to a true trail and single file running. At least the climb had kind of put everyone in their place pace wise. That single file trail lasted for a while and I was hoping I wasn't holding anyone up. I even said several times to the people behing that I'd let them pass if they wanted.

At times the course was narrow and at times it would open up. When it opened up, I would move to the side to let faster people run by. I tried to run as much as I could, but there were some steep climbs (and some steep declines as well) and some very technical parts. I have a triathlon next week, so I was being careful not to roll an ankle or slip and fall. I do have to admit that there were several times I "rolled" my ankle, but my leg went with it and no harm done. I do think I will feel it tomorrow, however. :)

The "course" was very pretty. More like a hike you might do while camping. For me, and it seemed many of the others, there was no shame in walking when you needed to. I feel like I was able to run about 80-85% of the course.

I carried my own water and gatorade because there were only 2 aid stations on the course. I normally don't drink all of a small bottle of gatorade on a 1.5 hour run, but today it was gone in 30 minutes. I was glad I had it and the water.

There was also a 30k race on the same course and around mile 4 I began to get passed by some of the 30k folks on their second lap. I guess there is an art to it, but I don't know how they traversed the trails at the speed they did.

It was interesting to experience the atmosphere of a trail race vs that at a road race. While there were some very serious trail runners, I never felt there was an "elitist" attitude that you can get with some of the faster road racers. Everyone was very friendly and the atmosphere after was more of a party atmosphere. There were burgers and beer waiting for the first 10k finishers. I was eating my veggie burger by 10am.
What would you do differently?:

Practice on some trail runs and do a little warm up to get the heart rate going.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a burger and some chips and relaxed while I ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First trail run and being cautious to not get injured.

Event comments:

I definitely enjoyed doing the race and would like to do some other trail runs in the future. With IMAZ looming in November, I'm not sure I will do any more before then as it is a little risky for the ankles.

Last updated: 2012-06-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:34:33 | 06.21 miles | 15m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]