General Discussion Race Reports! » Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Salem, Wisconsin
United States
La Crosse Area YMCA
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 28s
Overall Rank = 22/255
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

got up early to go pick up my packet. As this was my first ever triathlon I was a bit nervous and even considered going into West Salem (about an hour drive) yesterday to pick up my packet, but glad I didn't. Had an english muffin with peanut butter and jelly and a large coffee from the gas station. Arrived right at 5am (too early really)to pick up my packet. Then watched and learned from others as they arrived and went about setting up in transition.
Event warmup:

rode bike to start and swam for about 5 minutes to warm up. Debated on whether to wear a wet suit. It was not needed for the water temperature and about 50% of participants didn't, but in the end I did, figuring it would give me practice in transition for the HIM I have coming up
Swim
  • 09m 20s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since this was my first triathlon and I really didn't know what to expect and really didn't have a clue to my pace for 100m. I got in the middle of the pack and then had to proceed to pass several people. If I would have started earlier I think I could have had a better time. Plus, at this point my goal was just to finish; nothing more, so I wasn't really trying all that much, therefore the below average ratings
What would you do differently?:

try harder
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

I'm not sure what happened here, but I had the worse T1 time of my age group. I know the wetsuit slowed me down, but that much???

Again I was still in the just finish mode, so maybe trying a bit harder, but I'm not sure that would have made up that much time. Still wondering what I could have done quicker
Bike
  • 50m 28s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

At this point I started to think "go for it" and I passed a lot of riders on the bike. Only one rider passed me. I did very well on the hills, surprisingly because there are not a lot of hills where I train. Felt a little shaky on the turns and felt unsafe staying in aero on the downhills going fast. Hydration was just right for the bike, but felt like I should have taken in more for the run later...and will definitely need more for a longer course

get more comfortable staying in aero going downhill and taking turns
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I did better in this transition, mainly because I don't wear clip in bike shoes, so its hop off and hit the road. Still I placed 6th in my age group. How are these people doing it faster???

unknown
Run
  • 23m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

It was getting hot! felt slow off the bike, then got into a groove somewhat and then felt slow again at the end. was passed by 3 runners

Drink more during the bike
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, ate a few bananas and drank some water; sat in the shade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

partly the unknown - as this was my first triathlon; knowing how it all works will help me next time. Also transitions, especially T1 - how can I make that faster

Event comments:

This was an excellent triathlon to start the sport - especially the 5 seconds spacing of swimmers, I think really helped me.

Last updated: 2012-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:20 | 440 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 0/255
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra
Course: a "V" shape - stay to the left of the yellow bouys
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:28 | 17 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: course had a number of tight curves to start, so hard to get up any speed until out of town a bit. Then it was a single loop over gently rolling hills - some were longer
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:22 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Performance: Good
Course: an out and back - down hill out and up hill back - mostly in open sun
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 4:51 PM

User image

Subject: Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-06-11 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4254169

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course
Totally awesome entry into triathlon. 4th in your AG is insanely great for your debut, you're going to be a serious threat when you figure out how to get your wetsuit off. Great job!
2012-06-11 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Totally agree Todd!   If you have not figured this out by now,   let me say.  YOU ARE REALLY GOOD AT THIS! 

But DUDE!  riding 3 1/2 hours the day before,  oh man.    You would have gone even faster had you not done that and rested a bit.       But I know you really are locked into your Racine training.   Keep up the great work!

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-06-11 6:30 PM
2012-06-12 10:10 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Awesome debut! Smokin fast bike and run. Practice T1 a bit and you are good to go.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Got Energy Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed