ET
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 41s
Overall Rank = 29/
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

Rack, check out other Du setups, feel unworthy. Potty, sunscreen, split honey stinger waffle with Babydaddy, small warmup, potty.
Event warmup:

6 minute run, slow, just to shake the cobwebs off.
Run
  • 15m 9s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

All I saw were fit, skinny, fast looking women with 40's on their calves. Sigh. One gal in particular was in my wave (two waves started 5 minutes apart, this was excellent for keeping the congestion down on the narrow path, kudos to race director). When we started in the second wave, fit gal took off like a shot and I instantly decided to let her go. I have no idea how to pace a run-bike-run so figured keeping some gas in the tank was prudent. I never lost sight of her, but she slowly pulled away as the run went on. Nobody else in my AG was in sight ever, so I guess they were behind me. I concentrated on keeping my effort level strong, but even, and mostly focused on keeping my turnover high. One younger gal kept trying to race me, so I did my jedi mind trick of shutting her out of my field of view when she passed me (like 3 times) and sure enough I would pass her right back. Glad I didn't let her pull in front and slowly put the brakes on, slowing me down. My splits were within 15 seconds of each other, so I feel this was the right thing to do. I'm not sure why she kept hounding me, but whatever. Run your own race, right?
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I had no intention of trying to perform any heroics here, just getting a solid transition and not forgetting anything key, especially since I was out of my typical transition routine. I did make a mental note to put my shoes and visor down somewhat neatly so I could quickly grab them for the second run.

Nothing today.
Bike
  • 42m 13s
  • 14.25 miles
  • 20.25 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a short easy bike that I have excelled on two years previously, so I had no intention of holding much back. I knew I was probably in a pretty good position based on the first run, but I also knew that several of the women were better runners and could catch me on the second run if I screwed up. But I also knew my run has improved over last year, so I kind of went for broke. I quickly caught fit iron woman who had blown the doors off the run. Actually this kind of surprised me, especially when she didn't come with me when I went by her. So then, it truly became all about the bike...I went into Chris Lieto mode, hoping I could put enough distance between us on the bike so she couldn't catch me on the run. I also was realistic knowing that a huge effort on the bike might backfire. So my second goal became to make her catch me late in the run and possibly have an answer to her for the finish. I don't have a great history doing this, but it WAS a secondary goal ;).

Hammer harder, one of these days I am going to break 21 mph on this course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

This was a nothing transition. I actually thought for a split second that I should do something else, but realized I just needed to grab my visor and go!

Nothing.
Run
  • 33m 38s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

It was starting to get hot and not a lot of shade, so I opted for a super short walk thru each of three water stations with a few sips of water and a dump on the head each time. I have a lot of hair, so a big wet mop on my head is nice for keeping cool. I felt like absolute DOG-squeeze for the first 3/4 of a mile so I went back to keeping my turnover high without trying too hard to kill it until I could get in more of a groove. As I was coming up to the first water station, I did my Gu Roctane (pineapple, weirdly not gross) and got a water to help it go down the right way. I managed to pull 8:30/8:25 ish for the first two miles and the Gu kicked in so I felt a bit better. I kept waiting for fit fast girl to blow by me, so when I hadn't seen her by the end of mile three, I started to think I was going to have to actually try to finish in front of her. My plan up 'til now was to give it a solid effort until she passed me then go into complete mental collapse mode and perhaps briskly walk the rest. Crap, now I had to try all the way to the finish.

So, I did what I always do when my body is hurting and I'm trying to finish. I started counting. I estimated I'd have to count to about 720 to get me to the finish, so I did. The weird thing is the counting makes me run faster...it keeps my foot turnover high for a long time. I hit about 700 when was making the final turn and the volunteer shouted, 200 yards to go! So I took one last look behind me...nobody...and cranked it. I didn't puke, but I couldn't talk for several minutes after the finish, so that's good, right?

Nothing.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

weightweightweightyweight! We chatted up my nemesis after the race and my husband said she looked surprised that I beat her. hell, I was surprised I beat her. I am not quite the low bodyfat physical specimen I would like to be. I won my AG because I came up with a strategy that worked, not because I was the better athlete, but hey, that's what racing is about, right? It was a great confidence builder as I've had a lot of things to overcome lately, so I am happy about how it went and proud of myself!

Event comments:

Batavia is a great race. I love it and hope to do it again many times.

Last updated: 2012-06-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:09 | 02 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 40/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back south on the bike path.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:42:13 | 14.25 miles | 20.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 22/
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat, some rolling hills, good road conditions mostly. Standard midwestern etch a sketch course with lots of cornering. Police did excellent job of keeping traffic moving while keeping major intersections clear for racers. I really appreciate this effort.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:38 | 04.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 47/
Course: North on the bike path, over the footbridge and back south on the other side of the river. Such a beautiful course. Too bad I am suffering every time I run it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Batavia Duathlon

2012-06-11 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4254405

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Batavia Duathlon

The age group win is awesome, but a lil unfair to others since you are a pro? 

We are proud of you too!      Know what??  You are a skinny, fit  fast looking woman.      But from now on, maybe just eat honey stinger waffles.   Nothing else.   It's like a secret weapon or something.

Great work out there!

2012-06-11 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4254405

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Batavia Duathlon
Fantastic job!  Loved reading about the strategy.  You came, you saw, you kicked it's a$$!  And Skinny Fast Girl's too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Duathlon Rss Feed