Bike Factory Quick Release
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 30s
Overall Rank = 15/50
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Still recovering from Honu. Could tell that my legs were not 100% fresh like they were before Honu, but pretty good none the less.
Event warmup:

Warmed up on the trainer for 30 minutes
Bike
  • 1h 00m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Winds were blowing like normal. About 10-20 steady, with a few gusts. I knew already that cracking an hour would be tough.

Started out pretty well, naturally going out hard the first minute until things settled down. I was trying to hold 270 watts on the way out, but saw that slipping slowly. I got the false sense of security that my speed was adequate as I was maintaining above 23 mph into the cross headwinds, but should have known that would only mean the tailwind would not help as much as I thought.

After about 7 miles, I finally felt settled in, but I should have pushed harder. My wattage was dropping below 260, but again I was feeling okay with my speed. Made the turnaround averaging 23.2 (257 watts)...just where I wanted to be speed wise. But that's when I realized the cross tailwind wouldn't be helping the whole way. Some parts were easy to hold 28+, but others took a lot of effort to hold 25-26 because of the wind.

Slowly watched my average speed climd...23.3, 23.6, 24.0. It was at this point with 9 miles left that I had to up my average speed .1 mph per mile. Doable if I could hold 27.5...but there were just certain pockets where the cross tailwind turned into a cross, and I knew with 2 miles left, it wasn't going to happen as thats where the roads get a little rough.

I tried so hard to will myself...to push harder...but I got that lead feeling in my legs again where they just wouldn't respond. I can push through much better when I have the lactic acid feeling, because that's just pain.

Crossed the finish at 1:00:30. Somewhat disappointed, but I know I could have cracked an hour with fair winds, or a little better...but I'll stop the excuses right there. Penn Henderson rode 54:01 after biking 2:13 at Honu, so there really is no excuse.

Either way, I held 253 watts overall. Which means my power didn't drop off that much on the second half, and if I was able to hold 260, I would have gotten under an hour. I can't complain about my improvements in bike fitness either. Going to need to tweak my position a little as well as I think I can get a lot lower. I'm almost too comfortable in my current position...and find myself pulling my upper body down on the bars.

Also surprised by my HR. I freaked out when it was holding over 180, as I averaged 180 for a 22 minute uphill TT that I felt I did really well in back in April.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure...maybe could have focused more on recovery during the week. Ride harder.
Post race

Last updated: 2011-12-28 12:00 AM
Biking
01:00:30 | 24.85 miles | 24.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 15/50
Performance: Average
253 average watts Avg HR 183
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out from Malaekahana State Park and out to Kaawa Elementary school and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 10:49 PM

User image

Subject: Malaekahana State 40k TT

2012-06-13 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4254644

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Malaekahana State 40k TT
Great race Jason!  So my 1:00 prediction was pretty close...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Malaekahana State 40k TT Rss Feed