General Discussion Race Reports! » Patanella's FLAT as a PANCAKE Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Patanella's FLAT as a PANCAKE Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Staten Island, New York
United States
Green Brook Racing
Total Time = 1h 07m 59s
Overall Rank = 91/461
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/36
Pre-race routine:

Every race I get into my zone by drowning everything out with my headphones and just pumping myself up. At a Honey Stinger Waffle and a GU before the swim
Event warmup:

Dynamic warmup using a miniband
Swim
  • 09m 20s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I positioned my self to the far right in the front with the thought process that i would have no one in front of me so I can get into my groove early and use the current to naturally push me back towards the turn buoy and the shoreline. This started out good as I felt really good in the water for the 1st half of the swim and then BAM! I cant explain it and it has never happened before but I lost all comfort-ability in the water. I couldn't put my face in the water and couldn't understand it since I didn't feel fatigued. I tried a few times but nothing, I swam a little with my head out of the water and then finally decided to stop and take 15-20 seconds to try and find my mental. This helped as I was able to fight through the rest of the swim but never gained the feeling I had for the 1st half
What would you do differently?:

Stop earlier to regain composure instead of trying to fight through it. The effort used is not worth it
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Had a hard time finding the strap of my wetsuit since I was wobbling after the swim. Then suit got stuck on timing chip

Just try to be faster
Bike
  • 33m 37s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Wanted to push it faster than last year and I did that, completing the bike leg about 30 seconds faster. Watched my power numbers which helped me realize I could push it a little more or a small decline section of the course

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I really need to get another pair of quick laces as tying my shoes takes unnecessary time. went sock less
Run
  • 20m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

So this is why it is imperative to pay attention to the pre race meeting. I was still lingering in transition while the meeting was going on cause I figured since I did this course last year and once your been to one transition meeting you have been to them all, that is NOT the case

If I had paid attention I would have known about the stairs in the 1st half of the run due to construction that changes the course form last year. I started out the run pretty fast when I looked at my watch I was doing a 5:30 mile pace so I knew I had to real it back. I wanted to push it so I settled into a 6:20 pace. I got to a round about and noticed it was fenced off and someone was just sitting there, I stopped for about 10 seconds until the volunteer finally told me I needed to go up the flight of steps.

After that bit of confusion I continued on at a good pace.The last mile or so is on a board walk and this is where mishap number 2 would happen. I had my timing chip turned to the inside which is a no no because I am pigeon toed and through years or practice I can run with just enough clearance that I don't trip over my feet. On the run I kept on hitting the timing chip with my foot but when I got to the board walk my foot tripped on the wood then hit the timing chip and then down I went! I was able to keep my forward momentum into a semi graceful ninja roll and pop back up and keep running. though my pace slowed by about 10 seconds for the final half mile.

Pay attention in the pre race meeting and put my dang timing chip on the outside of my ankle
Post race
Warm down:

Went back out and cheered on my fellow club members still finishing and all the other competitors the PANCAKES

Event comments:

This is a race I see my self doing every year

Last updated: 2012-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:20 | 440 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 332/461
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Straight line wading start, one left turn back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:37 | 12 miles | 21.42 mile/hr
Overall: 116/461
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Flat and fast 3 loop course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:24 | 03.1 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 38/461
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course with a little detour
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Patanella's FLAT as a PANCAKE Sprint Triathlon

2012-06-11 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4255055

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Patanella's FLAT as a PANCAKE Sprint Triathlon
Andre, You did a lot of things right in this race.  You struggled, but regrouped quickly on the swim, your bike pace is awesome, and dayum you are fast on the run.  Even with detours and ninja rolls you are blazing fast.  One might think you were showing off a little :-)  Nice job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patanella's FLAT as a PANCAKE Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed