General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shipping my bike for the first time... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-11 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Subject: Shipping my bike for the first time...
My bike is headed to Idaho on Thursday without me. (TriBike Transport) I'm shipping one small gear bag with the bike. If you've used this service before, what did you include in that bag? They suggest that I not include my helmet. Any helpful tips?

2012-06-11 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4255106

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Shipping my bike for the first time...

Either you will get your bike and all that ships with it in time for the race (high probability) or you will not (low probability).   If you get your bike, all is well.  If you do not, will you scramble and find a bike to borrow or rent?  If this is your plan, then do not include your shoes, pedals, helmet, one water bottle, your nutrition, GPS, etc.

I recommend packing a small duffle of "extra clothes" along with the bike (fill up the box).  Just to reduce what you carry with you. 

You might also take a couple of pictures of the bike and all the stuff packed with it, just in case you have to file an insurance claim.  

2012-06-11 11:09 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
The stuff you pack and ship with tribiketransport is far more likely to be there ready for the race compared to anything you take yourself via airplane.
2012-06-11 2:26 PM

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA

Thanks for the replies.  Yikes...didn't even consider the possibility of the bike not getting there.  Guess there is always that chance.  Ugh.  One more thing to think about.  

My plan is to pack towels, CO2 cartridges, extra tubes, bike bottles, and nutrition in the gear bag.  I'll plan to bring my wetsuit, helmet, bike shoes and pedals with me.  I'll plan to send more home in that bag after the race, I guess.

2012-06-11 2:30 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Maybe some other people can chime in, but I have never heard of tribiketransport not getting there on time.  Personally, I'd fill that bag up!
2012-06-11 2:33 PM

Sorry, Bill...I think you misunderstood the question.

To the OP...I've used TBT once, and had no problem. I'll use them again later this summer.  In my gear bag I put: my wetsuit, bike shoes, might have had an extra pair of running shoes, water bottles, bike tools/flat kit/spare, run cap or visor, possibly my nutritional stuff (drink mix, etc--in a ziploc bag).  Transition towel, sunscreen (since you can't take that on the plane unless you check a bag or bring a tiny bottle).  Not sure what else, and thanks for the reminder, so I can plan appropriately later this year. Definitely send the CO2 with them, since you can't put that on the plane at all.

On the plane, I like to take: running shoes, race outfit, goggles, maybe the nutrition stuff, USAT card, sunglasses, and helmet.  I like to carry on my helmet whenever possible anyway, because I don't want something stacked on top of the bag it might be in and crack the foam. (and maybe that is why TBT is recommending against it for your bag).

Another thing to consider with TBT...when do they anticipate having the bikes and gear bags in CDA, vs. when do YOU expect to arrive?  If you are going to get there ahead of TBT and will be doing some practice swims or tuneup runs, obviously take that gear with you and not send with TBT.

When I fly to a race, I try to carry on as much of the essential race stuff as I can, and this is what Bill was talking about. You do not want to get to a race and not have all your gear. I recall several people at various races that I have heard of who checked everything and their bags got misdirected, even one who wore special orthotics in her run shoes and checked that. Obviously, you can't carry on the bike.

For nutrition: I have never had a problem bringing the standard triathlete nutritional stuff on a plane, either in checked or carryon baggage.  If you bring gels, though, they must fit in the 3-1-1 baggie with your other gels and liquids (toothpaste, etc.).

p.s. have never heard of TBT not making it to a race...though...was it Cozumel someone had trouble with? But maybe a different company?

Edited by bets12 2012-06-11 2:35 PM

2012-06-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4255918

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
bets12 - 2012-06-11 3:33 PM

Sorry, Bill...I think you misunderstood the question.

To the OP...I've used TBT once, and had no problem. I'll use them again later this summer.  In my gear bag I put: my wetsuit, bike shoes, might have had an extra pair of running shoes, water bottles, bike tools/flat kit/spare, run cap or visor, possibly my nutritional stuff (drink mix, etc--in a ziploc bag).  Transition towel, sunscreen (since you can't take that on the plane unless you check a bag or bring a tiny bottle).  Not sure what else, and thanks for the reminder, so I can plan appropriately later this year. Definitely send the CO2 with them, since you can't put that on the plane at all.

On the plane, I like to take: running shoes, race outfit, goggles, maybe the nutrition stuff, USAT card, sunglasses, and helmet.  I like to carry on my helmet whenever possible anyway, because I don't want something stacked on top of the bag it might be in and crack the foam. (and maybe that is why TBT is recommending against it for your bag).

Another thing to consider with TBT...when do they anticipate having the bikes and gear bags in CDA, vs. when do YOU expect to arrive?  If you are going to get there ahead of TBT and will be doing some practice swims or tuneup runs, obviously take that gear with you and not send with TBT.

When I fly to a race, I try to carry on as much of the essential race stuff as I can, and this is what Bill was talking about. You do not want to get to a race and not have all your gear. I recall several people at various races that I have heard of who checked everything and their bags got misdirected, even one who wore special orthotics in her run shoes and checked that. Obviously, you can't carry on the bike.

For nutrition: I have never had a problem bringing the standard triathlete nutritional stuff on a plane, either in checked or carryon baggage.  If you bring gels, though, they must fit in the 3-1-1 baggie with your other gels and liquids (toothpaste, etc.).

p.s. have never heard of TBT not making it to a race...though...was it Cozumel someone had trouble with? But maybe a different company?

X2. TBT was great.
2012-06-12 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4255918

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Thank you! I appreciate the info on possible mishaps, too, but this is the info I was looking for so thanks for sharing your experience with TBT.
2012-06-20 6:24 AM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas

You said you're going to fly with Co2 cartridges.  TSA specifically states that flying with compressed gas is illegal and not allowed onboard the flight (either in carry-on or checked bags).   I got caught with this flying to IMCOZ and had to buy a couple new ones pre-race.  

Otherwise, I think your plan sounds great.   Good luck, and don't stress.  Your bike will make it there with no problems!!!

2012-06-20 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4270891

matcrawf - 2012-06-20 6:24 AM

You said you're going to fly with Co2 cartridges.  TSA specifically states that flying with compressed gas is illegal and not allowed onboard the flight (either in carry-on or checked bags).   I got caught with this flying to IMCOZ and had to buy a couple new ones pre-race.  

Otherwise, I think your plan sounds great.   Good luck, and don't stress.  Your bike will make it there with no problems!!!

Looks like the poster said they were putting their CO2 cartridges in the gear bag they were sending with TBT...so the CO2 is going by ground, which is ok. 

You are correct that the TSA/FAA will not allow the cartridges on the plane, whether checked or carryon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shipping my bike for the first time... Rss Feed