General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake in the Hills Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake In The Hills, Illinois
United States
Lake in the Hills Parks & Recreation Dept.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 53s
Overall Rank = 90/301
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/45
Pre-race routine:

Not much time for one. Woke up at 4:00 to get out to LITH from the city. By the time I picked up race packet, rode down to T2 to drop off shoes and then down to T1 to set up bike and put on wetsuit, race was just about ready to begin.
Event warmup:

None (see above), other than an easy ride from parking lot to T2 and then from T2 to T1.
Swim
  • 13m 8s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got out to a good start with the lead group from my wave and I swam pretty strong. I definitely drifted to my right on the course and added some yardage. I used to be pretty good at sighting and just haven't had an OWS in a few years so took it for granted. Not beyond the realm of possibility that a better line could have saved me a minute here, which would have translated to 13 or 14 spots overall, and 20 spots on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

T1 was pretty good. I was among the faster people to make it out. I sort of stomped from the waters edge to my spot while I took off the top of my wetsuit, and ran out once I had my bike.

I could have made it out a little faster had I jogged it out from the lake ot my spot.
Bike
  • 44m 45s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 20.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode pretty strong, but probably a little too hard. If someone zips by me on the bike, I'll let them go, but if someone drifts by a little more slowly, I'll tend to try and hang with them (outside the draft zone!) or pass them up again. The road was a little rough in places, but pretty good on the whole. There were some nice rolling hills and the ride was long enough to require a little more strategy and planning that just going for it as you might with a shorter sprint.

I should probably start paying less attention to the other riders and focus on what's going to work best for me to set up a good run. The trouble is that my HR is always running higher on the bike coming out of the water and I lose touch with a good target to gauge my effort. I never feel like I'm working too hard on the bike, but when I start my run, I feel like I'm just hanging on. I need to find a happy medium.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

On the whole T2 was pretty smooth. A few people were out in less than 10 seconds (one was out in 5 seconds), which I find kind of hard to fathom. Had I really ran hard with bike and out of T2 I might have shaved :10-:15 seconds, but I think the time on this particular day was better collecting myself at a jog to get ready for the run.

Not much. On a day where I was feeling fresher off the bike, I might have pushed a little harder.
Run
  • 34m 43s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty crappy throughout the run. I'm not thrilled with my time, but am glad that I kept moving and pushing myself. Based on how I felt, this could have easily turned into an even slower slog.

Save a little from the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate, drank. Fantastic post-race massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too hard on bike.

Event comments:

This is a great little local race. They manage the 2 different transition areas like pros. Everythign is extraordinarily well-organized. I was very impressed and plan on returning.

On a personal level, I'm a little demoralized. Given how hard I've been working I was hoping to see myself finish a bit higher up. I guess that other than the Racine HIM, this is the only race that I've done that is even a little longer than a really short sprint (pool, 10-11 mile, 5K), so top 3rd (barely) in my AG group isn't bad, I was just expecting a little more out of myself.

Last updated: 2012-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:08 | 880 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/45
Overall: 56/301
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto First Wave
Course: Semi-circle lake swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:45 | 15.5 miles | 20.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/45
Overall: 72/301
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The legs heading south and east involved some headwinds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:43 | 04 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/45
Overall: 149/301
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills, mostly through residential neighborhood
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Lake in the Hills Triathlon

2012-06-11 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4255445

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Lake in the Hills Triathlon
Nice job! With the smaller field size, it's harder to look at placing for how well you're doing. A few people deciding to do or not do the race can really swing how it looks. Those 40 yr olds can run too. I won my AG (M30-34), was 9th overall, but had 2-40 yr olds and 3-45 yr olds ahead in the overall! This race has seemed to be drawing some more speed each of the past couple years.

Edited by brigby1 2012-06-11 12:10 PM
2012-06-11 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4255517

User image

Expert
Chicago
Thanks for the encouraging words.  Looking forward to coming back next year.
2012-06-11 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4255445

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Great job!  There is a pretty good tri scene up here in the NW suburbs and some fast guys.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake in the Hills Triathlon Rss Feed