General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Haines Falls, New York
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 26m 54s
Overall Rank = 87/107
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Not much, really. Stomach was really upset because I hadn't slept well the night before thanks to a loudly snoring boyfriend. (Allergies.) And yes, lack of sleep and getting up extra early always leaves me queasy.

Managed to down coffee, Gatorade, and a quarter of a bagel. Had 1/2 a Gu and used my inhaler before the gun went off.
Event warmup:

Swam around until I got used to the cold water. Wasn't too bad - not as cold as Mirror Lake.
Swim
  • 36m 15s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got on feet immediately and was so relaxed that for the first time in a race I was able to do my usual bilateral breathing every third stroke instead of panting and gasping every other stroke.

Was super-psyched to hit the beach the first time at 16:30. Had to walk the beach because it was rocky.

Second loop went just as well - couldn't believe it when I hit the beach at 35:13. (Time includes a slow run up to transition thanks to rocky asphalt.)

Knocked 6.5 minutes off of my last Oly time, but was still last in my AG - over a minute and a half behind the next girl, so I think the good time is more from a short/fast course than any actual improvements. (My 41:30 at Lake George still had me beating one person in my AG.) Damn. Thought I had improved more than that.
What would you do differently?:

Have sandals waiting at the beach for the run into T1 (found out later from boyfriend many people did this). Not only did that cost my time, I cut a good chunk of skin off the bottom of my toe.)

Take yet more swim lessons - obviously still have a LONG way to go to being even a half-decent swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Once again, needed sandals. Also lost time putting on Garmin - something I wouldn't use if I were RACING an Oly. Wetsuit stuck as usual.

Bring sandals, figure out wetsuit issue, ditch Garmin for racing.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 48s
  • 24 miles
  • 13.87 mile/hr
Comments:

TOUGH course - very hilly (i.e. HR in the 170s while in granny gear, which for me is a 28 cog), and technical turns. Was either granny-gearing up hills or feathering my brakes on the descent thanks to the rain.

Embarrassingly slow, but I WAS under orders to dog it.

Slow course - nobody had fast times. If I had been going Oly pace I actually would have placed pretty well in my AG for bike split.

Go at race pace. ;-)
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Pretty average. Although I started to run out with my helmet still on. My lovely boyfriend of course TOOK PHOTO PROOF before yelling at me to remove it. LOL!

Install Yanks (have regular laces on for Ironman since I find them more comfortable.) for short distance racing and remember to TAKE OF MY HELMET.
Run
  • 1h 02m 45s
  • 6.3 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again dogged it at IM pace. Would have had at least second-fastest run at race pace. TOUGH course - haven't done run hill training since Cowtown so wasn't prepared.

Go race pace and do hill work if I come back to this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Didn't feel like I had worked that hard, so more needed to get into dry, warm clothes. (It was raining and 60.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training on the run, the slick roads, and going at IM pace.

Event comments:

Well-run race, although they need to fix the road (first and last couple of miles on the bike course were AWFUL). Wasn't ready for the run course, but that's because I'm training for the flat IMLP run. No aid stations on the bike.

I don't know about post-race activites because we had to skedaddle right after I finished.

Last updated: 2012-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:15 | 1640 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 88/107
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 2 loop course with run across beach between loops.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:21
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:43:48 | 24 miles | 13.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 94/107
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:02:45 | 06.3 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 85/107
Course: VERY hilly (again) with some trail running, including one technical steep hill. Two loop course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-13 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Olympic Course

2012-06-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4259167

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Olympic Course
You need to race in Dallas! Your per 100 yard time wouldn't put you last in the swim here! So it was a fast course... you still had a solid swim.

Great all around training day!

2012-06-13 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4259758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Olympic Course

Same here, definitely, which is why I was so surprised by my placing. That 36 minute time includes a run up to the mat and EVERYONE had a fast time, so I didn't get myself out of the "Straggler Swimmer" category like I hoped - still bottom 20%. :-(  I do wish I had a Garmin 405 or 910 so I could know if the course was short or it was just a bunch of fast swimmers. 

The only good thing is that usually it exhausts me to straggle to T1. At least this time I wasn't tired.

Hopefully next season I can go back down to Oly/HIM and start working on getting faster. I dream of being MOP some day. (Other days I get frustrated and swear I'm going to go back to middle-distance running where I can be FOP. *G*)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Olympic Course Rss Feed