General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-15 12:08 PM

Subject: Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread

Hey everyone!  The Philly tri is around the corner and will be the first time for me at this race.  I recently raced EagleMan and the heat really hurt my run.

How does everyone feel about the heat at this race?  Is there shade on the run course?

What sections of the bike course are best to hammer?  Which are windy?

Thanks, and I will see you there!

2012-06-15 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4263562

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: RE: Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread

I found it was fine.  It shouldn't be too hot during the run.  The run is shaded for a fair amount.  Can't really help you with the bike, I hosed that up last year.  Having just done Mooseman a couple of weeks ago, I am looking forward to attacking this bike.

Good luck.

2012-06-15 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread

The bike is definitely hillier than Eagleman, but that's not saying much.  There are also a couple tight turns, and if you're in a later wave, and fast, you'll be passing people by the dozens.  It can get a little crowded.

For the run, the section closest to the Art Museum can get hot, there isn't much shade and it's up against a retaining wall that will radiate heat if it's been hot out.

The swim for the OLY length is down-river point to point, so I guess that makes it an easier swim than out and back or upstream.

Last year the sprint (Saturday) was wetsuit legal, and on Sunday the OLY was not; the water had warmed up just enough.

I'm on the fence if I'm doing this one, not even sure which length I want to do.  Ankle has been bothering me and I have another HIM in 3 weeks.

2012-06-18 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4264108

tcj103 - 2012-06-15 5:00 PM

The bike is definitely hillier than Eagleman, but that's not saying much.  There are also a couple tight turns, and if you're in a later wave, and fast, you'll be passing people by the dozens.  It can get a little crowded.

For the run, the section closest to the Art Museum can get hot, there isn't much shade and it's up against a retaining wall that will radiate heat if it's been hot out.

The swim for the OLY length is down-river point to point, so I guess that makes it an easier swim than out and back or upstream.

Last year the sprint (Saturday) was wetsuit legal, and on Sunday the OLY was not; the water had warmed up just enough.

I'm on the fence if I'm doing this one, not even sure which length I want to do.  Ankle has been bothering me and I have another HIM in 3 weeks.

Personally, I wouldn't push my luck with injury if my ankle was bad enough that moderate effort would set recovery back by a week or so with a HIM in 3 weeks.  But, if the ankle was more of a nuisance and not very painful, I might consider giving moderate effort and doing Philly, understanding that I am not going for a PR and just getting something for my money.

That's my opinion as a non-medical professional!

2012-06-22 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Philly river cast shows conditions red after this evening's thunderstorms, let's hope the water quality improves. http://www.phillyrivercast.org/Nav_definition.aspx#definition_red
2012-06-22 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Hope everyone has a good race, I'm taking a break this weekend to get healthy for Rhode Island HIM in two weeks.

Hopefully you'll get to swim, but it probably won't be wetsuit legal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic : Official Thread Rss Feed