Sun Multisport Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

So, here it is -- first HIM. Been training since January, and feeling good going into it. Headed down to the race site on Friday night for packet pick up, check into the hotel, and meet some fellow BT-ers for dinner. Met up with Rudy (RudeDog55), Kathy (Kathy_G), and Grace (gColler). A few others were hung up in traffic, and never made it. Always a blast to meet other BT-ers, and this was as good as any. Truly a great bunch.

Headed back to the hotel, prepped for the next day, and went to bed about 9:45. Up at 4 AM, dressed, ate, packed the car, and headed off to the race site. Arrived a bit before 5 AM. Rudy was already there, transition set up, and rearing to go :). I set up, had a bit to drink, and headed off to the porta potty line. After that was the first of a few 'firsts' of the day for me. I walked out of the PP, took about 20 steps, and out of nowhere, threw up. Not a lot, but enough to make me wonder what the h*ll was going on. Sipped a bit of water for a while, and felt better. Maybe nerves?
Event warmup:

Went and swam a bit, maybe 200 yards. Water felt warm as could be. A bit choppy due to the wind, but nothing too awful. nice confidence boost.
Swim
  • 39m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was great for me. I felt awesome the whole time. Stroke was smooth, and despite the chop didn't have any breathing issues. Only negative was my navigation. GPS I aint! ;). A bit too much zig-zag. Seemed to always go left. Maybe a bit too much right arm? I'll ask my swim coach.

the leg back in seemed to go faster than out, and once I touched sand, I stood up, and headed up the beach to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Work on navigation, but thats about it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I stumbled with my socks. I had pre-rolled them, but discovered I'd done this inside out. D'oh!! Fixed that, then headed out. Seemed I was there longer than I should have been. The velcro on my left shoe was uncooperative and kept coming undone, but finally relented.

Not had my socks backwards.
Bike
  • 1h 45m
  • 35 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off well and immediately had a GU and a drink to get started. Unfortunately, I dropped the bottle, and stopped to get it. My stop was an awkward half fall over/half unclipped thing which had a couple folks asking if I was OK. All was well, but just looked ridiculous. Not exactly what I was looking for 1 mile in.

I wanted to pace this well so I'd have some juice for the run. Keeping it to 18-20 mph average was what I was shooting for. First lap split clocked in at 1:30, and I was very happy with that. I was feeling GREAT at this point. Passed lots of folks along the way, and was passed a couple times. Energy and enthusiasm were high.

Started the second lap with all systems go. A few miles in there was a detrou around some construction, and had no issues with it the first time around. This time was different, however. the last turn is a sharp left, and as I went around, I must have gone a bit wide (it was a narrow turn, so going wide wasn't hard). I caught some sand on the side of the road, and next thing I know, I'm 5 feet off the road, laying in the dirt & leaves under a tree. Seemed I was OK, so I get up grab my bike to get going, and.....my bike has no front wheel. the wheel, fork, and brakes are all laying on the ground, still together. The steering tube snapped completely off at the top of the fork. Turns out I'd hit a large rock head on, and that was all she wrote. One almost new Cervelo P2, now headed for the garbage dump.

Two police officers were monitoring the intersection, and called for an EMT when they saw my left shin bleeding all over. He showed up and cleaned it up. Not a deep cut, but a few smaller ones in the same spot. Shin swelled up quite a bit, but it didn't hurt. Got a ride back to the race site, packed up transition, and went to watch some other BT'ers finish.

Not crash and destroy my bike, my race, and what was up until then a real kick butt day I had going?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't quite make it this far
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't make it here, either. Did hang at the finish to cheer on some friends, and the finish is a great chute about 200 yards long. Lots of cheering as folks head it.

Would have been nice... :(
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a beer with Rudy after he finished, then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

crashing.

Overall, I was VERY happy with the way things were progressing. Since this was my first HIM, I really had no idea what to expect, and my training, and race plan all seemed to be spot on.

I am incredibly PO'ed, aggrevated, and disappointed with the DNF. I wanted this race badly, and it didn't happen. I'm going to find another HIM to sign up for asap, and attack :).

Event comments:

Loved this race. Great location, TONS of volunteers, organized, fun, and enjoyable. I'll be back....and I'll finish next time!!

Last updated: 2012-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 3 full
Course: Long rectangle -- .5m out, .2m acroos, .5m back in; counterclockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:45:00 | 35 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A 28 mile loop. Some beautiful scenery along the way. Lots of rolling hills, but no major climbs. No real flats either, just typical New england terrain. Was windy on occasion, and at one point along a causeway between 2 lakes, wind was really kicking up
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-16 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2012-06-16 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4265163

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
Sorry Mike. DNF sucks and trashing your bike really sucks. At least you weren't seriously injured. Your training was there if sure.
2012-06-17 10:03 AM

User image

Regular

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat....

You've have surely experienced the one.  I'm hoping that you can quickly move on to experience the other.

Hang in there man.

2012-06-17 10:14 AM

Bismarck, ND
Very dissappointing!  Good luck in the next race.  Good thing you weren't seriously hurt.
2012-06-17 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Struggling here trying to find right words to say......you were ready, trained, tapered, executing well when you took your spill and your race ended. Sucks!

Glad Landrys is on top of it and hopefully Cervelo will come thru quickly with a new frame.

Any thoughts on what HIM you might do? Firmman, Timberman, Rev3 in Maine, Pumpkinman or one of the others?

Well done training and getting to starting line and controlling what you could.

2012-06-17 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

So that's what happened huh?  I was very surprised to see you standing there when I was heading out on the run.  SO Sorry Mike!  That is very disappointing to hear.  But hey, as I can say from my last accident, bikes are replaceable, people aren't and I'm glad you're ok. 

Try not to let this get you too down!  It clearly sounds like your fitness is there and you'll have another crack at this soon.

All my best Mike!

2012-06-17 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Devastating! But amazing how well you were doing and that you are this healthy (and not injured from a rough crash). It was great meeting you in person - DARN BIKE!
2012-06-17 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

it was great meeting you and hanging out!!!!  So sorry about the crash!!  Get back on the horse and don't waste your great season of training!!!  Best of luck to you Mike!!!!!  keep in touch!!!

2012-06-17 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4265717

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA

oof, that sucks.  glad you are OK.  I volunteered on the swim (I was the orange and red kayak at the first circular buoy on the way back in) and we'd heard when we came back in that there was a crash on the bike.  glad to hear it wasn't you in pieces.

pumpkinman is a spectacular race, if it's still open.

2012-06-17 7:42 PM

Expert

So same corner on my first lap I didn't listen to the volunteers telling me to slow down like I should have and came through with too much speed.  I ended up in the sand and dumped the bike and rolled down the street a bit.  Barely even scratched myself and the bike looked fine so I grabbed it and pulled it back to the pavement and was about to mount up again when I hear PSSSTTTTT.  So I spend the next few minutes sitting there helping the volunteers yell "Slow down" while fixing my flat tire.

Second lap I'm coming through and I see a guy with his bike on the ground in exactly the same place.  Think I made some comment like "You ok?  I dumped my bike in the same place first lap."  Then I saw the missing fork!  Apparently that was you!  Try not to worry about it too much that was a rough corner.  There were already bike tracks in the sand when I went down the first lap!  I can say from now on that whenever a volunteer tells me to slow down, I am going to slow way down! 

2012-06-18 5:36 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Oh Mike - how frustrating! I had a bike mechanical forced DNF on my first tri - it is really hard knowing that you have the mojo to make it through and not being able to finish. Signing up for another race immediately helped me...the good news is you were feeling good and riding a great pace...also - it's always there next year!

Hope to see you later this year - Pumpkinman? Rev 3 Old Orchard Beach? Whatcha thinking?

2012-06-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4266012

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
2453V - 2012-06-17 8:42 PM

So same corner on my first lap I didn't listen to the volunteers telling me to slow down like I should have and came through with too much speed.  I ended up in the sand and dumped the bike and rolled down the street a bit.  Barely even scratched myself and the bike looked fine so I grabbed it and pulled it back to the pavement and was about to mount up again when I hear PSSSTTTTT.  So I spend the next few minutes sitting there helping the volunteers yell "Slow down" while fixing my flat tire.

Second lap I'm coming through and I see a guy with his bike on the ground in exactly the same place.  Think I made some comment like "You ok?  I dumped my bike in the same place first lap."  Then I saw the missing fork!  Apparently that was you!  Try not to worry about it too much that was a rough corner.  There were already bike tracks in the sand when I went down the first lap!  I can say from now on that whenever a volunteer tells me to slow down, I am going to slow way down! 

Yep, that was me.   and x2 on the 'slow down' warnings. Tough way to learn

2012-06-18 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

So sorry about the DNF.  Just glad you didn't get hurt. I'm sure you will prevail on another course.

Great meeting you.  See you out there.

Edited by mighty mom 2012-06-18 10:38 AM
2012-06-18 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I DNF'd my first HIM also due to 5 flat tires, so I know how frustrating it is to go out, not due to fitness or fatigue, but a mechanical failure!

I promise you this, the next HIM finish line you cross will be sweeter than anything you have done to this point!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed