Canada
Trisport Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 46s
Overall Rank = 48/336
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/53
Pre-race routine:

Got there extra early and just walked around and checked out the booths. Once it was time to register I got my kit and got ready in transition.
Event warmup:

Did a light jog for about 10 minutes then did about a 500m swim to warm up.
Swim
  • 10h 22m
  • 750 meters
  • 1h 22m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt good at the start but ran out of gas near the end.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. A little more conditioning and I would have been fine through the finish.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

My goggles fell out of my sleeves running into transition and I turned around to get them. In hind site I should have just left them and collected them after the race, other than that I was happy with my time. My first race and I haven't practised transitioning at all.

Not turn back to collect my goggles and work on putting a my helmet and glasses while exiting my suit.
Bike
  • 34h 07m
  • 20 kms
  • 0.59 km/hr
Comments:

I was happy with my ride. I was a little faster than I expected I would be and after going pretty hard on the swim I felt surprisingly good on the bike once I was out of the park and cruising.

Nothing really I was happy with my ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I was pretty happy with the transition. Like I mentioned before I hadn't practised at all and it went pretty smoothly.

Just practice a bit to pull my time down.
Run
  • 27h 54m
  • 5 kms
  • 5h 34m 48s  min/km
Comments:

This is where it fell apart. As soon as I was about 500m in I knew I was in trouble. The side stitches started and my legs tensed up. I ended up walking a bunch on the course. Running is by far my weak spot and haven't been able to train too much due to feet and knee problem so I wasn't expecting too much...still I was much slower than I wanted to be.

Save a bit on the swim and bike to have more juice during the run. Get a lot more running in before my next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and joined my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being my first race I wasn't sure how to deal with eating before. I at a normal breakfast in the morning then snacked on stuff up to the race but next time I think I will try and eat a bigger meal about 3 hours before and a little less closer to the race. Once I got to the run I was having some stomach pain that I think was from eating to close to the race.

Event comments:

This was my first Triathlon and I had a blast the atmosphere and people were great.

I am a fast swimmer so I was worried about running into the waves in front but thanks to a post on this site from crmorton on this site I realized I could register as an elite age grouper to get out with the first wave. This worked out great for me as I was 2nd out of the water and certainly wouldn't have been this quick if I had to fight through an earlier wave.

I was happy with my bike but need to work on the running a little more clearly. I also need to put in some more training hours to sustain myself through the run and keep my swim time low without draining the tank as much.

All in all I am supper happy with my performance and experience at the event and looking forward to more races this summer.

Last updated: 2012-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
10:22:00 | 750 meters | 1h 22m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/53
Overall: 4/336
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
34:07:00 | 20 kms | 0.59 km/hr
Age Group: 9/53
Overall: 47/336
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: I wasn't expecting it to be as hilly as it was and the road was a little rough near the park. Overall it was a nice ride though. I was happy with my decision to go out in wave 1 which gave me lots of room on the bike course.
Road:   Cadence: 80
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good