General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
86F / 30C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 22m 3s
Overall Rank = 111/503
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 19/71
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 4:20. Shower. Breakfast of yogurt, pwd sug. donuts, coffee, water, banana. Took Ca, Mg, K pills in morning and previous night in prep for super hot day. Out of the hotel by 5:00 AM and at race site by 5:20. Transition spots are numbered so getting there early is mostly about getting a parking spot close to finish. Set up transition area and body marking with no trouble.
Event warmup:

Kept warm-up to short jog ~ 7 minutes and short swim right before they called everyone in.
Swim
  • 42m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even effort throughout the swim. Navigation was good despite 2 ft swells. Panicked a bit after rounding the final buoy and heading for shore cuz of the chop. Taking lots of water in the face and hard to breath. Had to stop for a sec and get my bearings. All good after I settled down.
What would you do differently?:

Probably time to push the pace a little now that I'm more confident in the distance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Not enough wet suit strippers. I had to wait (and yell) to get my guy going which I hate to do cuz I couldn't have more gratitude for the incredible volunteers.
Bike
  • 2h 37m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Very comfortable ride. I worked to get my heart rate down as fast as possible to 140 bpm and then I kept it steady. Increased HR by 1 bpm every 11 miles. Very consistent effort. Matched my speed of previous year with much higher efficiency. Drank 1.5 bottles of gatorade overall and a little bit of water for first time. I forced 2/3 of a bar down before first aid station. Drinking water there really helped so I forced myself to finish the rest of the bar before second aid station so I could get more water. Skipped final aid station cuz I had enough fluids.

Nothing. The ride went perfectly to plan. I didn't want to push at all cuz this was a C race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

This was a good transition for me. I didn't have much clutter. I was able to have a REST while I put on my shoes. Ran w/ racebelt. Grabbed a water on exit. I remembered which way to go.
Run
  • 1h 58m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Early stage of the run was hot. Temp was in the high 80s w/ humidity. Totally chilled out to the top of the hill. My plan was to get there (0.5 miles) in 6 minutes by walking most of the hill. Walked all the aid stations and all the real hills. Dumped lots of water on myself at every aid station which is a big improvement. Ice down the shorts whenever possible helped. I even drank a few sips of gatorade which is an improvement. I had right side cramps through 1/2 to 2/3 of the run. Gas I think. Got dumped on by thunder shower w/ sleet 2/3 through the run. Rain and wind torrential but a God send cuz I finally cooled off a bit. I think I was able to pick up pace slightly after that.

Disappointed that I didn't push harder. My plan for the race to have a run pb which I failed to do. I'm happy about running the whole distance. Run time was 17 minutes faster this year than last following identical bike time.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in ice bath and drank coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition. Want to take in more food and fluid on the bike (and run) but have trouble with nausia and stomach cramps apparently. I can tell that my leg strength on the run is also failing toward the end.

Last updated: 2012-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:43 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/71
Overall: 0/503
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: triangular loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:37:13 | 56 miles | 21.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/71
Wind: Strong
Course: single loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:58:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/71
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-18 9:00 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed