Sun Multisport Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 43m 13s
Overall Rank = 487/611
Age Group = F3034
Age Group Rank = 27/36
Pre-race routine:

I am totally new to this kind of race. This is my second triathlon. The first was a sprint that I competed in one month ago. My husband and I were both doing this race so I made us PB&J sandwiches and set the alarm for 3:15am. Ate the sandwich and some handfuls of granola and went back to sleep. Woke up again at 4:15 to eat some applesauce and get ready to go. We live nearby so it was just a 25 minute drive to Cathedral Camp. Ate a Hammer Gel before the swim.
Event warmup:

I swam a short distance in the lake after wetsuiting up. I only have a handful of OWS experiences, including one at Long Pond, and the water was choppier than I had experienced. The water felt warm and the practice got me energized. I felt confident I could survive the swim.
Swim
  • 49m 51s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am a novice swimmer. In January, I couldn't swim a length of the pool without taking in water. One month ago in a sprint tri, I had to sidestroke the 0.25 mile swim (prior wetsuit was too tight). My only goal here was to survive. I was able to complete the entire course in freestyle. The women in my wave were very polite. As I got further out in the water, the chop picked up and I took waves to the face when trying to breathe. I was pleased that I didn't panic and managed to continue on.

About halfway out, the men's wave behind mine caught up and there was some serious contact. I thought a couple of guys were trying to drown me. They just kept hammering away at me after realizing they'd come up on someone. This surprised me because I was swimming wide. I thought the uber-competitive types who would be willing to beat up a woman would swim a tigther line. I guess not. I actually had to elbow one guy - it was total survival on my part as he was pushing me under. At about 0.7 miles, someone grabbed me. It was my husband - what a pleasant surprise!

On the return, the chop calmed down a little and I became more confident about finishing the swim. Getting through this swim was a huge victory for me, especially considering the challenging conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting, more OWS practice.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

I'm still a newbie at transitions. There's considerable room for improvement. I have yet to learn how to run and jump onto my bike. I had applied sunblock before the race and I sprayed some more on during transition. Unfortunately, I mised some large spots on my back and have been paying the price!

Make sure to apply sunblock better! Move faster.
Bike
  • 3h 27m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I was concerned about pushing too hard on the bike and tanking on the run. I didn't have a good sense for what pace would be appropriate. I averaged 16.5 mph on the first lap but then slowed about halfway through the 2nd lap due to significant knee pain. My quads felt strong, but my knees limited my ability to keep up my pace. I also had some significant pain in my left foot (I've been having issues with work shoes and my bike shoes - may need to see a doc), and the bike seat was absolutely killing me after 40 miles. I could not wait to get off that bike.

See a doctor about my knee and foot issues. More longer rides.
Transition 2
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

I was so happy to get off my bike! My left foot was in excruciating pain. When I got off my bike and put pressure on it, I had a sinking feeling that my race might be over. Fortunately, upon stretching it out and putting my sneakers on, the pain subsided quite a bit.

I should've applied sunblock again! Overall, just need to move faster and maybe consider the locking laces.
Run
  • 2h 18m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

In prior half marathons, I have pushed too hard in the early miles and then broken down in the last three or so. I was determined not to do this again. My early miles averaged over 10-minute miles (when I usually am in the low 9s). Unfortunately, my knees tend to be what breaks down, and I'm not sure that going slowly early on really leads to much gain later on. No matter what pace I run in the first ten miles, my knees reduce me to a shuffle in the last 3 miles.

The race was so well organized. There were aid stations at each mile (or thereabouts) with water, heed and flat cola (after the first few miles). Every other station had snacks such as gels, oranges, bananas, pretzels. I truly enjoyed being out there on the run.

I'd like to see a doctor about my knee issues because they're clearly the limiting factor for me performance-wise, both on the run and bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Water bottles with wet towels were given to finishers and that was a great touch. I was so happy to wipe all the salt off my face! Met up with my husband and friends from our running club to hang out for awhile before packing up. Drank one of the free Muscle Milks but the food line was long so we just decided to head out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knees! I was barely even sore, muscle-wise, after the race, but my knees were in rough shape on Sunday. They hurt both under the kneecap (patellofemoral pain stuff, I assume) and behind the knee (ACL? This was the worst of it for me.).

Event comments:

While I don't have many triathlons for comparison, I thought this race was phenomenal. Very well organized. Lots of volunteers, great mix of nutrition offered, great communication. Thanks again to Mark Walter, the Sun Multisport team and all the awesome volunteers!

Last updated: 2012-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:51 | 2112 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 541/611
Performance: Good
Suit: Tyr Hurricane
Course: Rectangular course. 0.5 miles out, 0.2 miles left and 0.5 mile return.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:27:43 | 56 miles | 16.18 mile/hr
Overall: 520/611
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 laps of 28 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:18:11 | 13.1 miles | 10m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 434/611
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful course through farmland and rural neighborhoods. Some rolling hills. The weather was fantastic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-19 10:06 AM

South Shore, MA
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2012-06-19 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4269110

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon

Congratulations on finishing -- your swim progress is amazing. From nearly zero 6 months ago to now hammering out a 1.2 HIM OWS? Awesome!

I was there as well, and I agree it is a fun, well run race. I'm going back next year - hope to see you there.

2012-06-19 1:49 PM

South Shore, MA

?Thanks for the kind words, Mike.

I just read your race report and oh my goodness!  I'm so sorry to hear about your bike and prematurely concluded race.  It sounds like you had a really great race going prior to the sand incident.

Was this the left turn after going through the cones behind the Valero station?  If so, a guy who was riding right in front of me did the EXACT same thing but he somehow managed to leap off his bike (and the bike went flying into the woods).  I don't know if he had clipless pedals but I can't imagine being able to pull off the same leap with mine.  I would have ended up with the bike.

Glad to hear you're returning next year.  I plan to as well.  It's great having this race on our doorstep on the South Shore!

2012-06-19 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Yep, the exact same spot. I stayed on my bike however. But not for long.  Still angry about it, and feel awful about destroying my bike.
2012-06-19 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

I agree with Mike - fantastic progress! I also enjoyed the frequent aid stops on the run - it really helped move the run along for me in my mind.

2012-06-20 5:37 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

excellent first half!!! Congrats!!!

You swam a tough half course after only swimming for 6 months??? Badass!!!!!!

I also used to get a lot of foot pain while riding, i got a bike fit and added inserts into my bike shoes, it all went away.

good luck on your journey!!! you are well on your way!!!

2012-06-21 1:15 PM

South Shore, MA

Thanks, Jennifer and Rudy!

Rudy, I'll have to check into the bike shoe/insert situation.  I should be well fitted, but maybe it's worth getting a 2nd opinion.  I've been having some issues with my feet in work shoes as well (and I don't wear high heels or particularly restrictive shoes compared to many women) so may need to see a doc.

Edited by jkrivers 2012-06-21 1:16 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed