United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 19s
Overall Rank = 68/1101
Age Group = Male 23-29
Age Group Rank = 11/72
Pre-race routine:

Afternoon race on a weekday, so walked to the race straight from work.
Event warmup:

After the 45 minute walk to the race site I did maybe 1/2 mile of jogging, plus some mobility exercises and striders to loosen up.
Run
  • 23m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first race of the season, and I have been slowly gaining back my fitness after a lazy winter. I have another 5K this Saturday, so goal for this one was to not worry about racing, but rather think about pacing/perceived effort, and see where that would land me.

I have a tendency, especially in shorter races, to go out way to fast. I consciously pulled back the throttle to start so that I didn't go out too fast. I just tried to maintain a pace that was faster than my lighter training runs, but didn't feel like I couldn't sustain it. I was expecting about just under 8 minutes per mile.

At first mile marker I was at 7:30. I was very happy with this, and is, I think, a testament to the go slow to go fast training mantra. I haven't pushed myself at all in training. Pace have been between 8:30-9:00 for all runs.

So for the rest of the race I just tried to maintain my pace. With a limited base to date this got a little harder at the end, but I was able to stay consistent.
What would you do differently?:

I did exactly what I wanted to do. Only thing within my control that I would have done differently was hydration. I over-hydrated (I was concerned about the heat). I had to pee right before the race. This seems to be a running theme in a lot of my race reports... when will I learn!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, banana, stretching, and watching the gear check people panic when they couldn't find my bag for a while. I have the worst gear check luck!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Over-hydrations and the fact that I had to slalom through a ton of the slower 10K runners. A 5 minute gap between the 10K and 5K starts is not enough! I really wonder how far my actual distance run was.

Event comments:

Organization was pretty poor. They opened the starting corral way late, and had no one there to help people stay organized with 5K and 10K sharing the same corral. It was a big mob at the start. They blew a horn and everyone started lurching forward. Getting near the front I saw a bunch of people standing to both sides. It was the 5K runners. They were all yelling to everyone that just the 10K was starting. Where was anyone that was actually in charge of the race.

Starting the 10K just 5 minutes before the 5K is a HORRIBLE idea. The course was way to narrow for this once you hit the lakeshore path. Had to do a lot of slalom running to dodge the slower 10K runners/walkers.

Last updated: 2012-06-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:19 | 03.11 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/72
Overall: 68/1101
Performance: Good
Course: Starting south of Soldier Fieled, course headed south, under McCormick place, then onto the Lakeshore path to turnaround, then all the way back on path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No