Other Resources My Cup of Joe » iPhone vs Android vs Windows Mobile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-22 10:08 AM

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: iPhone vs Android vs Windows Mobile

I am interested in hearing people's opinions on thier phones operating systems.

What your OS and Phone? Android (razr, galaxy, etc...), apple, or Microsoft (lumia, etc...)

Do you like it?  Would you buy it again?  Would you try out a different one next time?  Does it have any hang ups?  Was it easy to figure out?  What do you think about the screen resolution?  etc.....

I have an iPhone and my wife brought home the Samsung Galaxy (Android) and the Nokia Lumia (Windows Mobile) to play with and I have to say that I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the galaxy.  While I still prefer my iPhone (I love everything about it), I have to say that if I were to go with something else, I would DEFINITELY go with the Galaxy.  It's a nice sized screen (since I RARELY hold my phone to my ear to talk, and really, rarely use my phone as phone) to read, and work on with excel.  I use the gmail app on my iPhone and like it MUCH better than the one on the galaxy.  I think google kind of miffed that one up.  Organization inside the apps for pictures, movies, music is nice and pretty intuitive.  My only real gripe is probably screen resolution.  I haven't figured out if it's the screen (samsung's fault) or the software resolution (google's fault).

tinkering with the Nokia Lumia: Windows Mobile was absolute cr@p IMO.  I'm sure it's for somebody, but it's not for me.  The front tiles are huge and a total waste of space.  It makes it look jumbled up on the screen.  Organization and vocabulary (what apps and programs are called) were horrible.  Absolutely not intuitive at all.  took WAY too long to flip through stuff.  It crashed within the first 5 minutes I was playing with it (my wife thought I was joking at first, but no).  What I was impressed with was the screen resolution is FANTASTIC.  Better than the iPhone.  They also had an app that communicates with the xbox through windows live.  I guess that hints at future utilization of xbox as more than just a video game console and more of a full entertainment experience.  I'll be interested to see what they do with that.

anyway, what do you think of yours?

(and for those of you who will say "I actually use my phone as a phone", my response is "Get off my lawn!!!!")

2012-06-22 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4275230

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: iPhone vs Android vs Windows Mobile

iPhone user here. I had HTC's version of android for a while and didn't like it. Part of it was the crappy hardware, it was a worthless phone, but I still don't think I would have liked the OS better than the iPhone even if it had been a decent phone. 

Other thing I don't like about android is how every phone company puts their spin on the OS. So when an update comes out you have to wait till your manufacturer can fix their version of the update to get it out to you. Well if you have an older phone you are low priority. The HTC I had didn't get the android update until a year and a half after it came out. 

If you like the bigger screen and the higher resolution just wait for the iPhone 5. Supposed to get the retina display and the screen is supposedly getting bigger. That with 4g LTE and everything else I have heard about it, it should be a pretty kickin phone. 

2012-06-22 12:28 PM

Master
Houston, TX

Yeah, I'll be one of the buyers when the iPhone 5 comes out for sure.  I'm just curious to see how many of the rumors are going to be true since the past couple of events have expected the 5 and have gotten other things.

I was actually asking because I'm thinking about buying Microsoft stock and I'm interested to see what people's opinions are on it.  After playing around with windows mobile, I'll likely stay as far away from Microsoft as possible, but everyone is different and it could be next great revolution in phone OS, so that's why I was asking people's opinions.  Just because I don't liek it doesn't mean 100 other people won't either.  I'm trying to gauge a little bit whether it (among other things) could be a significant revenue stream for Microsoft.

2012-06-22 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
I've got an Lumia 900, 4GS, and an HTC Inspire (Android)

The HTC I rooted within 24hrs and put custom ROMs on it. My favorite ones where usually the MIUI variants. I'd ditch their launcher and go with the Zeam launcher and keep the phone's UI very light. Have run a few 4.x ROMs on it too. It's older hardware but you can over and under volt the CPU, over and underclock it, kill all of the crap in the back ground and get a single core 1Ghz CPU to be very performant.

Gave the iPhone to my wife, hate it. Find the OS buggy, don't like the uber desk top approach, and hate that there is no back button. It's too controlled and too uniformed, meh. The screen seems tiny too. I hate her iPad too, same grips and don't get me started with iTunes.... so much dislike.

Find since I tried the Lumia I've not used the Android as a phone at all. I had a Focus when WP7 first came out, was not that much of a fan. Like the Lumia better.

With Android I'd only do it if geeking out with your device is what you want to do. I find all of the stock manufacture UI's horrid. The basic AOSP UI is good, but can be a lot better with some custom tweaks. I really like being able to do what ever I want with the device. I hated the native 2.x Exchange app, needed to use something like Touchdown to get decent HTML Exchange experience. I do like the 4.x Exchange experience. Hated the proxy support (LACK OF) for use in corporate settings. I now use the Inspire in my car to tether the car's OBDII data to via Bluetooth (using Torque App) and as a GPS puck for my rooted Kindle Fire. I use the Kindle as a 7" display in the car, audio source, GPS device, game device for the kiddo. The Lumia provides internet access, works really well. With just the Inspire I can tether over devices to it via WiFi too, but it's limited to the slower data network and that starts to show with a few devices attached.

With the Lumia I really like the Exchange integration and the Nokia apps for maps, navigation (being able to download and use maps offline is fantastic) and their image app is good too. I find that I don't really want to geek out on the WP7 platform. I notice the device a lot less, it's there it works, it works as a phone, the screen is the right size, the screen looks good.

Keep in mind that all of the current WP7 devices will NOT be getting WP8 coming out later this year. There's no hardware related features supported in WP8 that I want, so I'm not sure if I care about it yet. The Lumia will be getting WP7.8 and that sounds like it will address your complaint of the Live Tiles and two screen layout.

Overall:
iOS wins the App race, if you want tons of apps iOS is it.
iOS wins the aftermarket race, there's so many different devices and integration scenarios.

Android wins the geek'ing out race. If you want the device to be yours customized to your wants, 'Droid it is. There's also so much more hardware out there to play with. Quad core CPUs and mini HDMI oh my! There's a ton a of Apps for Android too, but I still can not get past any of the stock UIs.

WP7.x is simple and works great in corporate settings. I'd say that WP7.x feels like the most adult experience of the three. My wife was using my Lumia on a long road trip this last week and she's interested in WP over iOS now with the simpler UI.

Neither of game on our phones very much, neither of us have an obscure Apps that we use, so we're really looking for phone performance, email integration (Exchange, Hotmail, and Gmail), RSS, and web browser performance. I use mine as a GPS and map device a lot too.

2012-06-22 9:41 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
I've got a Motorola droid bionic and it replaced the original moto droid. I really like it and did look at the iPhone 4s but the biggest hang ups for me is the lack of any kind of widgets and non flexibility. For example I'm a corporate email user and the iPhone mail is ok, but not very functional for me. With my droid the default email app is worse but I can install a third party add on that is a far better email client than either phone by default. If I don't like the text messaging interface I download a new app. Apple doesn't give you those options. Oh, and flash player was another huge sticking point for me.

I agree that androids flexibility giving vendors the ability can make it suck but it's also the beauty of it. Think back to windows and the old Mac of the 90's. Mac made you buy all their hardware and limited software which made it consistent and stable, but that was also its downfall. People like to be flexible and I don't think apple has figured that out yet.
2012-06-22 11:07 PM
in reply to: #4276337

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
I was all about buying a Droid for my first smartphone. Then I played around with a 4S for awhile. Wow. Love it, easy to operate (really intuitive). Screen size is really what I thought I wanted... as in Galaxy Nexus, but the 4S screen size hasn't bothered me at all. Resolution is more than fine.

Since this is my first smartphone I have nothing to compare it too but at this point the $199 + $30 mth data plan is well worth it to me. I have nothing but great things to say about the op. system and the phone overall. How did gadget boy do without one of these for so long ?

And yes, Siri works great too.

2012-06-28 8:34 AM

New user

I'm looking forward to the new Windows 8 Mobile.
2012-07-06 11:39 AM

I've been on Android since my first smartphone.  I started out with the HTC Eris, then moved up to a Motorola Droid 2, and am now the proud owner of the absolutely incredible Samsung Galaxy SIII.

I just can't see myself ever using an Apple product.  I don't like being told what I can and cannot do with a device I purchase.  Android gives me all the flexibility I want to do what I want while also making it very user friendly, especially since Ice Cream Sandwich.  I'm very excited for Jelly Bean.

I don't see iPhones being the innovative smartphone anymore.  The last couple iPhone releases have been something other companies have had available for quite some time.

2012-07-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4297319

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
kevkelsar - 2012-07-06 11:39 AM

I've been on Android since my first smartphone.  I started out with the HTC Eris, then moved up to a Motorola Droid 2, and am now the proud owner of the absolutely incredible Samsung Galaxy SIII.

I just can't see myself ever using an Apple product.  I don't like being told what I can and cannot do with a device I purchase.  Android gives me all the flexibility I want to do what I want while also making it very user friendly, especially since Ice Cream Sandwich.  I'm very excited for Jelly Bean.

I don't see iPhones being the innovative smartphone anymore.  The last couple iPhone releases have been something other companies have had available for quite some time.

I have an iPhone 4 thru work so I go with what is cheapest  but if I had to pay for my phone it would be the Android.  Looking to get a tablet for work.  If work pays for an iPad I will use that but if I have to pay for it then no Apple product.

2012-07-09 11:21 AM

You can't beat a free phone!  

I'll be interested to see all the reaction to the iPhone 5's release later this year.  All the Apple fanboys will be raving about it having 4G/LTE capabilities...the first Android phone with 4G/LTE (HTC Thunderbolt) was released back in March of 2011.  And now with Jelly Bean including Google Now, which has been proven to out perform Siri and do a whole heck of a lot more than Siri, it'll be interesting to see what Apple comes up with other than improved screen.  I highly doubt they will beat the Galaxy SIII in hardware specs:

• 1.4 GHz Quad Core CPU (Dual Core for US version)
  • 1GB RAM (2GB for US version)
  • 8MP back camera (capable of 1080p video), 2MP front camera (720p video)

All I know is this Galaxy SIII is incredible!  I have yet to see a slow down even with all I've thrown at it (live wallpaper, multiple widgets, multiple applications running, downloading and installing numerous applications all at once).

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » iPhone vs Android vs Windows Mobile Rss Feed