Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ladies...I've got a beef with some of you... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-06-25 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4279537

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Ladies...I've got a beef with some of you...
Goosedog - 2012-06-25 12:58 PM

mr2tony - 2012-06-25 3:50 PM 

I dont judge them other than to say `She'd probably look better with less makeup.' 

Wasn't this essentially the point of the OP?

Yes, and I wouldn't probably take issue with that opinion.  But using the interesting choice of descripters, even in jest, could rub the people the wrong way.

I like to think of it this way.  If the wife came downstairs with a new hat and you say "that make you look rediculous, it makes you so less attractive, that hat is a crime to humanity and the makers of that hat should be punished".

OR

"I think you look better without the hat - I can see your face and hair better"...

Um, which one gets you laid that night and which one has you sleeping on the couch?  Oh, and don't try to convince her you were just joking or she was wrong to be offended.  You got a year's worth of gifts and flowers coming out of your paycheck with the first choice.

Edited by Kido 2012-06-25 3:12 PM

2012-06-25 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4279568

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Kido - 2012-06-25 4:09 PM

I dont judge them other than to say `She'd probably look better with less makeup.' 

Yes, and I wouldn't probably take issue with that opinion.  But using the interesting choice of descripters, even in jest, could rub the people the wrong way.

I like to think of it this way.  If the wife came downstairs with a new hat and you say "that make you look rediculous, it makes you so less attractive, that hat is a crime to humanity and the makers of that hat should be punished".

OR

"I think you look better without the hat - I can see your face and hair better"...

Um, which one get's you laid that night and which one has you sleeping on the couch?  Oh, and don't try to convince her you were just joking or she was wrong to be offended.  You got a year's worth of gifts and flowers coming out of your paycheck with the first choice.

You know what this is BS if you ask me.  Any one that gets that bent out of shape over that needs to put their big girl panties on.

2012-06-25 3:12 PM

User image

NC

. . . could rub the people the wrong way.

I think you've made that abundantly clear.

2012-06-25 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4279573

User image

NC
trinnas - 2012-06-25 4:12 PM

Any one that gets that bent out of shape over that needs to put their big girl panties on.

Sage advice.

2012-06-25 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4279576

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Goosedog - 2012-06-25 1:12 PM

. . . could rub the people the wrong way.

I think you've made that abundantly clear.

Funny thing is, the orignal post didn't bother me THAT much.  More the opinion I was close minded or was wrong to feel the way I did.

2012-06-25 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4279579

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Goosedog - 2012-06-25 1:14 PM
trinnas - 2012-06-25 4:12 PM

Any one that gets that bent out of shape over that needs to put their big girl panties on.

Sage advice.

True enough.  I'll remember that and apply as needed.

2012-06-25 3:34 PM

User image

Pro
Kido - 2012-06-25 3:09 PM

OR

Um, which one gets you laid that night and which one has you sleeping on the couch?  Oh, and don't try to convince her you were just joking or she was wrong to be offended.  You got a year's worth of gifts and flowers coming out of your paycheck with the first choice.

If it's my wife, I probably end up laughing hysterically....followed by her laughing the same way...followed by me trying the hat on...followed by uncntrolled laughter form both of us.

2012-06-25 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4276175

User image

Elite

Like I said, it doesn't matter to me what you like or dislike.  Just be prepared for the fallout if you want to make it public.  Someone can make racial/religioius/sexist jokes and just by saying it was meant to be "light hearted" - does not make it less offensive to the people it mocks.

Thanks for letting me know that.  I am going to hold off on posting about...well...anything. (small shouts of celebration from COJ!) Seriously, what if I don't like neon blue hair?  What if I wrote yet another tongue-in-cheek post regarding my dislike for "ridiculously colored" bright blue hair?  Will I be called out by Katy Perry's new boyfriend?  

I guess I don't understand how saying that someone looks rediculous, less attractive, or it's a crime against humanity (yes, even as a light hearted joke) is not disparaging?  Yeah, I guess you didn't say that fake eyelashes were bad in those EXACT words.  But again, how does one interpret "rediculous, unattractive, crime against huminty, punishment to the makers of them"?  I could be VERY mistaken, but that does not sound like something you would say about something good or a ringing endorsement. 

It wasn't meant to be a ringing endorsement!  When they look ridiculous, they look ridiculous in my opinion.  Ya know what else I thought looked ridiculous?  Parachute pants.  Now, I guess I have to worry about MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice voicing their ire.  Fake eyelash extensions are a fashion fad that in 5-10 years people will look back at like watching a mid-'80's news broadcast with news anchor ladies wearing shoulder pads as big as Lawrence Taylor wore.

Of course you didn't specify my wife by name - but when you mock a group, if you are in that group, you can still take it personally.

I don't know your wife and I'd NEVER insult her.  For God's sake, she has a look as a part of a job!  Good for her!  I am sure she is a wonderful lady inside and out.    

If someone said something about triathletes, something they did is rediculous or a crime.  You think maybe SOMEONE in that group my get offended even if you don't call them out by name? 

Heck, I laugh at triathlete stuff all the time.  The sport may have been invented to laugh at...it's full of funny stuff.  ...and yes, I'd expect them to be offended IF the post wasn't obviously meant to be tongue-in-cheek.  It's really all about context.  

What about a race/relligion/sex?  I'm not saying this is all equal...  Not by a long shot.  Just know that at any level, when you mock someone, those words impact even if it's light hearted.  Sorry, if someone said something bad about tall people, even if they don't say my name, doens't mean I can't get offended.

Kido, those things are not cosmetic.  Eyelash extensions are typically a temporary thing.  The post, as Goosedog pointed out, is that in my opinion attractive ladies make themselves less attractive when they wear them...granted, Lisa helped me clarify there are non-extreme eyelashes.  Thank you Lisa.

What's aggrivating, is the arguement that I'm not open minded or the defense you never said something bad, offensive, or called anyone out specifally.  It's ok to not like them, and even offend people by saying that.  I'm completely cool with offending people.  Some of the best humor is offensive.  I would rather hear someone say "yeah, I know I offended someone with that, but that's how I feel" - rather than turn it on ME that me being offended is close minded or you never said anything bad or offensive.  Of course you did, or people woulnd't have gotten offended - don't try to say the people offended are wrong for feeling that way.  Just offend and take ownership of it.  I would rather just have someone mock me, then try to convince me I am wrong to be offended by it when they do.

I never said you were wrong...I asked you to read it again and do so with an open mind...as in, read it and see if the person (me) was seriously "attacking" a group of people.

I thought you would see for yourself that I was not "attacking" anybody...except for the manufacturers of ridiculous fake eyelash extensions.  I thought wrong.

Hopefully we can agree to disagree on something as minor as fake eyelashes and move on peacefully.  I will make sure I use that sarc font more often too.  

2012-06-25 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4279645

User image

Pro
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-06-25 3:39 PM

Like I said, it doesn't matter to me what you like or dislike.  Just be prepared for the fallout if you want to make it public.  Someone can make racial/religioius/sexist jokes and just by saying it was meant to be "light hearted" - does not make it less offensive to the people it mocks.

Thanks for letting me know that.  I am going to hold off on posting about...well...anything. (small shouts of celebration from COJ!) Seriously, what if I don't like neon blue hair?  What if I wrote yet another tongue-in-cheek post regarding my dislike for "ridiculously colored" bright blue hair?  Will I be called out by Katy Perry's new boyfriend?  

I guess I don't understand how saying that someone looks rediculous, less attractive, or it's a crime against humanity (yes, even as a light hearted joke) is not disparaging?  Yeah, I guess you didn't say that fake eyelashes were bad in those EXACT words.  But again, how does one interpret "rediculous, unattractive, crime against huminty, punishment to the makers of them"?  I could be VERY mistaken, but that does not sound like something you would say about something good or a ringing endorsement. 

It wasn't meant to be a ringing endorsement!  When they look ridiculous, they look ridiculous in my opinion.  Ya know what else I thought looked ridiculous?  Parachute pants.  Now, I guess I have to worry about MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice voicing their ire.  Fake eyelash extensions are a fashion fad that in 5-10 years people will look back at like watching a mid-'80's news broadcast with news anchor ladies wearing shoulder pads as big as Lawrence Taylor wore.

Of course you didn't specify my wife by name - but when you mock a group, if you are in that group, you can still take it personally.

I don't know your wife and I'd NEVER insult her.  For God's sake, she has a look as a part of a job!  Good for her!  I am sure she is a wonderful lady inside and out.    

If someone said something about triathletes, something they did is rediculous or a crime.  You think maybe SOMEONE in that group my get offended even if you don't call them out by name? 

Heck, I laugh at triathlete stuff all the time.  The sport may have been invented to laugh at...it's full of funny stuff.  ...and yes, I'd expect them to be offended IF the post wasn't obviously meant to be tongue-in-cheek.  It's really all about context.  

What about a race/relligion/sex?  I'm not saying this is all equal...  Not by a long shot.  Just know that at any level, when you mock someone, those words impact even if it's light hearted.  Sorry, if someone said something bad about tall people, even if they don't say my name, doens't mean I can't get offended.

Kido, those things are not cosmetic.  Eyelash extensions are typically a temporary thing.  The post, as Goosedog pointed out, is that in my opinion attractive ladies make themselves less attractive when they wear them...granted, Lisa helped me clarify there are non-extreme eyelashes.  Thank you Lisa.

What's aggrivating, is the arguement that I'm not open minded or the defense you never said something bad, offensive, or called anyone out specifally.  It's ok to not like them, and even offend people by saying that.  I'm completely cool with offending people.  Some of the best humor is offensive.  I would rather hear someone say "yeah, I know I offended someone with that, but that's how I feel" - rather than turn it on ME that me being offended is close minded or you never said anything bad or offensive.  Of course you did, or people woulnd't have gotten offended - don't try to say the people offended are wrong for feeling that way.  Just offend and take ownership of it.  I would rather just have someone mock me, then try to convince me I am wrong to be offended by it when they do.

I never said you were wrong...I asked you to read it again and do so with an open mind...as in, read it and see if the person (me) was seriously "attacking" a group of people.

I thought you would see for yourself that I was not "attacking" anybody...except for the manufacturers of ridiculous fake eyelash extensions.  I thought wrong.

Hopefully we can agree to disagree on something as minor as fake eyelashes and move on peacefully.  I will make sure I use that sarc font more often too.  

That hat looks stupid!!! Laughing

2012-06-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4279635

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2012-06-25 4:34 PM
Kido - 2012-06-25 3:09 PM

OR

If it's my wife, I probably end up laughing hysterically....followed by her laughing the same way...followed by me trying the hat on...followed by uncntrolled laughter form both of us.

This...exactly this!  Ha!  

btw, I don't sleep on a couch, ever.  I've never understood that one.  I don't believe a husband or a wife has the right to legally oust you from your bed.  

Edited by ChineseDemocracy 2012-06-25 3:42 PM
2012-06-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4279645

User image

NC

ChineseDemocracy - 2012-06-25 4:39 PM

Seriously, what if I don't like neon blue hair? 

You hate little old ladies?

2012-06-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4279651

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It's not about eyelashes. 

It's about putting down people based on something minor/superficial.  I felt like speaking out against THAT basic concept - to defend them.  I don't agree with doing that in general.  When I spoke up, I'm accused of not being open minded or there was no recognition that the statements could be found offensive. 

Obvioulsy, I failed to make that clear since we still think it's about eyelashes, or blue hair, or whatever, and not about people.

I should have let them defend themselves - and some did.  But they are MUCH smarter than me and knew it wasn't even worth wasting their time - I envy their wisdom.

2012-06-25 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4279733

User image

Pro
Kido - 2012-06-25 4:20 PM

It's about putting down people based on something minor/superficial.  I felt like speaking out against THAT basic concept - to defend them.  I don't agree with doing that in general.  When I spoke up, I'm accused of not being open minded or there was no recognition that the statements could be found offensive. 

Obvioulsy, I failed to make that clear since we still think it's about eyelashes, or blue hair, or whatever, and not about people.

I should have let them defend themselves - and some did.  But they are MUCH smarter than me and knew it wasn't even worth wasting their time - I envy their wisdom.

Just goes to show how dumb I am....I thought it was about what he/we liked or didn't like about eyelashes. Laughing

2012-06-25 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4279740

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Left Brain - 2012-06-25 2:26 PM

Just goes to show how dumb I am....I thought it was about what he/we liked or didn't like about eyelashes. Laughing

Yeah, I guess it was.  I guess I got confused with the subject line to think it was about people.  My mistake.  Sorry!

2012-06-25 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4279786

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Teejaay 2012-06-25 5:00 PM
2012-06-25 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4279799

Sensei
Sin City

Teejaay - 2012-06-25 2:58 PM oops ... stupid iPad .. posted in wrong thread .. carry on!! 

Squirl!!!!

2012-06-25 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4276834

Pro
Evanston,
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-06-23 4:09 PM
CitySky - 2012-06-23 3:57 PM

I have a friend in TV news who switched to the individually-applied professional ones after she got tired of fussing with the other kind under hot, glue-melting lights.

It looks great on camera with her TV makeup, but in her much more natural off-camera look (including, say, stopping by my house in pajama pants and a ponytail and no makeup; or rolling out of bed, throwing on a dress, and barely making it to church after being the late-night anchor the night before), yeah, "tarantulas on her eyes" isn't too far off.  I used to tease her:  "Here come J----'s eyelashes!  And, look, here's J----!"   

She loves getting glammed up though, whether for the camera or a night out, so honestly I see no harm in it.  She has dark coloring and, with dark eyeshadow and whatnot, can rock it without looking clownish.

(insert drool emoticon here) yeah, news anchorettes are sooo hot.  but I digress.  

How does she look without the tarantulas on?  I bet she's a pretty lady without them.  Again, it makes no sense to me.  I swear, if Kim Kardashian, Miley Cyrus, and insert 20 more "popular/in" females, all wore neon face paint...a lot of women out there would be feeling "ugly" if they didn't wear neon face paint.  Don't ya think?

Sorry for the late response.  In response to your answer about the TV friend:

In person, she looks gorgeous with or without, correct.  Under the harsh glare of TV lights, she needs the lashes to look like she has expressive eyes.  It's just the business. Every talking head you see on TV, male or female, is wearing a ton of makeup.  She got tired of messing with the temporary kind (the whole strip glues on, and can come loose during a live take...) so she went for the semipermanent.  She doesn't feel "ugly" with or without.  She knows her business, knows what she has to look like; it's her job.  She recently upgraded to an "HD" market and needed a whole new makeover for that too, more precise.  Crazy, but she rolls with it.

2012-06-25 5:13 PM

Pro
Kido - 2012-06-25 4:53 PM
Left Brain - 2012-06-25 2:26 PM

Yeah, I guess it was.  I guess I got confused with the subject line to think it was about people.  My mistake.  Sorry!

Don't hate the player, hate the lashes! Laughing

2012-06-25 5:13 PM

Pro
[

Edited by Left Brain 2012-06-25 5:18 PM
2012-06-25 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4279080

aquagirl - 2012-06-25 12:09 PM

ironultrared - 2012-06-25 12:40 PM I'm a red head (well, auburn) and my eyelashes are pretty much invisible. Not orange or blonde - at least you could see those. And Ironman training and weight loss has caused my hair to thin - including my eyelashes. I don't usually wear any makeup at all. But, god, it would be wonderful to have eyelashes that were visible to the naked eye (pun intended).

Huh?

Why is your hair thinning??

Do you see a correlation between high volume training and thinning hair?

That's actually kind of scary........from a health perspective , not a "Oh no my hair is too thin !" perspective.

Could it more likely be an issue with your diet?

The emphasis should be more on the weight loss. And no, not an issue with my diet unless you count eating fewer calories than im burning off. You'll see hair loss as a frequent complaint in people that lose large amounts of weight. Not uncommon, but still frustrating. I'm hoping that now that IM training is over, my hair will get thick again. Including my eyelashes. But theyre still invisible.
2012-06-26 7:25 AM
in reply to: #4276175

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee

It doesnt matter to me what the females "fake",,,,as long as it isn't the big "O"! Laughing

2012-06-26 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4280530

Champion
SoCal
rbishop01 - 2012-06-26 5:25 AM

It doesnt matter to me what the females "fake",,,,as long as it isn't the big "O"! Laughing

Sorry to tell you this but......  

Edited by Big Appa 2012-06-26 7:27 AM
2012-06-26 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4280530

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
rbishop01 - 2012-06-26 8:25 AM

that is far more common than fake lashes and fake boobs...

2012-06-26 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4280600

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
Say it ain't so!! Surprised
2012-06-26 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4280647

Sensei
Sin City
This one has run it's course.  I'm done trolling for arguements in this one.  Anyone want to point me to the next one to get heated up?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ladies...I've got a beef with some of you... Rss Feed  

of 5