Private Sponsor
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 57s
Overall Rank = 25/58
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

We were staying at local campground in our 5th wheel with our border collies. :-) Got up and fed them. Choked down a yogurt and cliff bar. Arrived at the event at 6:15am. Got numbered and picked up timing chip. Set up transition area. Set up in a good spot at end of rack near entry point. Ended up really liking the spot.
Event warmup:

Stretched out...swam 100yds prior to swim beginning.
Swim
  • 07m 45s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall the swim went as expected. I hit the time I thought I would in the pool. The entry and run to T1 caused the avg lap time to be a bit higher than I would have expected.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at the event. Prior to the event I would start training a bit different to prepare.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Transition went ok. I had practiced it several times prior to the event so it went as planned. I through on a camelback and in the future will go with water bottles. Also had to put on running shoes. The next tri will be with my new clipless pedals that I will be getting this week. :) Also hit the wrong button on my Garmin 201 and changed my settings to something that did not have MPH on the screen. Could not get it fixed right away, so that kind of screwed me up. Never knew how fast I was riding. UGH!!

No camelback...also would not hit the wrong button on the Garmin. I still don't know what I button I hit!!!!
Bike
  • 34m 57s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Well this was the first time for me going straight from a hard swim to a ride. The heart was pounding! Remind me to do a few swim/bike bricks in the future!

Nothing. Ride a little harder. Was a little worried about killing my legs prior to the run, but probably should have ridden a little harder. Would have gotten clipless a while ago so I wouldn't have had to ride in running shoes.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Easy transition since I did not have to change shoes. Had to remove helmet and camelback. Took drink of water instead of waiting to station on course that I would have been to in another minute. The hardest part of T2 was running with the bike about 20 yds on the grass to get into the transition area.
Run
  • 28m 22s
  • 2.7 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a complete disaster. Since I hit the wrong button on my Garmin, I thought that I was running a 9 - 9:30 minute mile pace which would have been good for me. Needless to say I didn't. I thought I was running slower than I wanted to, but everytime I looked at the Garmin, I was on a 9:30 pace. So whatever button I hit in T1 really screwed me. Now, I don't know if I could have run any faster, but at least I would have tried. I just really thought I was at my goal pace.

Would have not pushed the wrong button on my Garmin so I would know what pace I was running.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, grabbed a gatorade, went to cheer on my wife Wendy who finished up about 3 minutes behind me. And by the way, Wendy finished 1st in her age group and 3rd overall female in the beginner division which was a 1/2 Sprint!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own mistake with the Garmin cost me time in the run for sure and possibly on the bike.

Event comments:

Awards to way to long, but other than that it was great for our first tri.

Last updated: 2006-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:45 | 400 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 15/58
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Course was in pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:57 | 10 miles | 17.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 23/58
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out 2.5 miles and back, had to completed 2 full loops for the full 10 miles. Some hills, but none very long. Overall a good first time Tri course for me.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:22 | 02.7 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 25/58
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was a .75 mile out and back done twice. Uphill to start for 200 yards which was pretty tough. Rest of course was ok.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes