World Triathlon Corporation
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 59m 8s
Overall Rank = 218/1700
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 9/39
Pre-race routine:

Drove to St. Therese Friday and stayed at grandmothers, then drove to tremblant yesterday to register and what not. Got up at 4AM and ate eggs and bagel, then headed to race site about 5ish
Event warmup:

Not alot, just setting things up and slight jog, plus bit of a swim
Swim
  • 31m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

lots of havock at the beginning. starts and stops due to crowdedness. they basically had 18-29 men and women + paralympic athletes in our wave. Stayed lots of collision for most of the first 500 or so. I felt as though i was going side to side alot throughout the whole swim, so i wasnt expecting anything fast. I felt strong but didnt expect anything special, and when i got out and looked at my watch after ripping wetsuit sleave off seeing 32 something i was like WTF no way! pretty stoked with that. 1:40/100 and i think woodstock was 1:39 lol
What would you do differently?:

well obviously swim more, however this was impressive, maybe no swimming is the new swim training? .... just kidding lol
Transition 1
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

bit of a hike over to transition, was pretty quick inside, didnt take toooo long.
Bike
  • 2h 42m 30s
  • 90.12 kms
  • 33.28 km/hr
Comments:

Wow. just wow. I felt amazing on this ride. I think it was maybe too fast considering later events. I hit 40k faster than I did in my OLY PB, and pace slowly dropped due to hills and stuff, but was able to still keep a solid pace for myself. Did not expect this, and especially surprised due to the elevation numbers from strava, bike hours paying off!

maybe go slower, lol
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Pretty decent transition. socks were a must in a half iron in my opinion. otherwise woulda been a bit quicker. no hiccups so was good.
Run
  • 1h 39m 9s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 04m 42s  min/km
Comments:

well this is the part where im supposed to be all, great run! blah blah blah....
it was not. i started off swell, on the sort of pace i wanted through 7km, at around 4:10-4:20 (i had to really try slow myself here as my legs just wanted to go). Then things started to go downhill, unfortunately not literally. The legs started to die, and i felt like i didnt have much in me. I basically walked at each aid station after this, and had to walk a couple times throughout the run. Also didnt help that i had to keep going to use the bathroom, which was odd as i think i was dehydrated. Really just a horrible run, when i had about 10k left and was about 4:10 in all i had in my mind was stay at 5min/k at the worst, you must stay at this, unfortunately i had a few slower,but by the end i was able to dig in and through a good last little bit in to just break the barrier.

I cant really explain to be honest. maybe it was the bike pace that killed me or something but i just didnt seem to have it, and the whole run i was just waiting for each km marker till the end.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing. i was absolutely done when i finished, when i found my mom and we sat in the shade i lay down and almost fell asleep lol. i had to down 2 powerades super quickly cuz i just felt so dehyrdated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the run. also yesterday my stomach was not wanting food, and we were out alot in the sun at the race site, so i think that started my dehydration. perhaps also a bad taper week. gonna have go get back to the drawing board.

Event comments:

Amazing race. For the first time they crushed it! Great scenery and a pretty tough course that keeps you honest. Love to attend at somepoint in the future, maybe will end up doing the full iron as my first one day.

Last updated: 2011-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/39
Overall: 209/1700
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 4 Fullsuit
Course: Wave start from beach. Cannon and Snowbird planes to start it off. Out-left-back on other beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:42:30 | 90.12 kms | 33.28 km/hr
Age Group: 18/39
Overall: 454/1700
Wind: Little
Course: Out one way about 30km, back and slight dog leg, then back towards transition, through a little town and back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:39:09 | 21.08 kms | 04m 42s  min/km
Age Group: 8/39
Overall: 159/1700
Performance: Bad
Course: basically an out and back with a few detours.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-24 6:26 PM

User image

New user

Waterloo
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant

2012-06-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4277881

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant

Hey.

Very well done on both the bike and swim. I am so impressed by the ratio between your training volume (swimming & biking) and the results you are getting!

The run, well, it all comes down to the run doesn't it?

You are certainly right that there could be several factors that lead to the suffering you faced in the run. I think something that is often overlooked and can make it seem like your legs 'just didn't have it' is nutrition. Nutrition, however takes practice, and it takes discipline. During the run, you might feel good and be running good for the first few kms, but that doesn't mean you aren't about to hit a wall. You have to sometimes slow down, even if you don't want to, just to take in some gels or energy drink at an aid station and anticipate that your body will thank you later!

You aren't going to get it right every race (Nutrition), and this type of thing becomes vitally important as the race distance increases from half iron to longer races like full iron. 

I am sure you learned lots this race. You certainly got a PB, and broke 5 hours, so I would be super happy about that (also consider your run about 15min faster, you probably have 4:45 in you at Tremblant on a well executed day).

2012-06-25 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4279532

User image

New user

Waterloo

thanks chris.

ya super happy with bike and swim, wasnt expecting that.

im positive you are right. day before was pretty dehydrated and stomach didnt want much. day of had good breakfast but on bike was not good. i kept trying to eat but my stomach wasnt wanting it, and i kept drinking but after a while my stomach felt off and all i could think of was lances GI issues in that one race. will have to plan better. will also explain more about everything in my blog.

also will be talking to you soon about training and what to do.

as happy as i am i broke 5hrs, the crappy run at the end basically makes the race feel like garbage lol. ps awesome break through on the run for you

2012-06-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4279932

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

Ryan, it was definitely a pretty challenging course! I also had some issues on the run, and was a good 5 minutes slower than I expected. You should feel very happy with a PR on that course.

Good luck with the rest of your season!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant Rss Feed