Dallas Athletes
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 50s
Overall Rank = 49/69
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. English muffin, veggie sausage, coffee for bkfst. Then Kerry & I hit the road to Denton.
Event warmup:

Swam a few laps in the pool.
Swim
  • 05m 21s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Know I could have done better since I have done so regularly in practice. Jumped in to far away from wall, so no push off. One guy seemed to want to pass me, so I paused at one of the turns to let him and he just sat there for a few seconds. Finally yelled "go" to him and he went ahead of me. Missed getting much of a push off on several turns. Think I was in the mindset of swimming longer, so took it easier than I should have. Before I knew it, was heading into the final lap and wasn't the least bit out of breath. Sprinted at the end as another swimmer was trying to pass...ha, didn't let him :).
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder since this was a short swim, and try to get better push off on the wall.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Slowest T1 in my AG. Decided not to test, but still had to reconnect pump, and found that the tubing had knotted up in my bag. Sat down to put on socks/shoes.

My hubby watched this transition, and so I asked him later for his honest opinion of why I'm so slow. He said I just move slower than the others for one thing, and I know he's right. I just don't have much urgency about the whole thing for some reason.
Bike
  • 59m 2s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Garmin said 16.9 mph for 16.5 miles, so thinking course was a bit longer than advertised. Either way, this was my best bike in a race EVER! Considering I have been bikeless for the last month and a half, and was run focused all winter, this was a big win for me! Love the new bike, and am pretty sure that was what made the difference (better bike, better fit, or both).

Train more. Also had some trouble clipping in at the mount line. Need to get more used to the new cleats/pedals.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Slowest T2 in my AG. No real reason...just moving slower than most.

Move faster.
Run
  • 26m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, has a hard time getting legs moving after bike. Settled into what I felt was a sustainable pace...really not pushing it too hard. Walked the the water stop 2X to dump water on my head and grab a sip. Picked it up a bit for the run in the football stadium. Surprised I negative split this, which makes me think I probably could have run it a bit harder.

I'm OK with this run based on current fitness level and heat. Thing that would have helped the most is NOT to have picked up 5 lbs over the last couple months.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around w/ Kerry to see results and whether I won any door prizes. Grabbed a snack and downed more water. Was so nice to have Kerry there with me!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike training, poor swim pacing, and up 5 lbs. Transitions also continue to be my nemesis, as I just sort of float through them without any real urgency. But I think my overall time was 10 seconds faster than the time I predicted in my race entry (filled out a few mos ago), so overall not too bad.

Event comments:

Very nice and smaller race. Had to "qualify" by being top 10 in your AG in a previous tri during the year. Smaller, more experienced field, and better seeding really helped the swim to click along so that everyone could get out on the road before it got too hot. Plenty of friendly volunteers, and nice relaxed vibe I've come to enjoy w/ DA races. Nice tech shirt and finisher medal, but the running jacket is not made for women...at all. Got an XS, and would need some gorilla arms to wear it.

Last updated: 2012-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:21 | 250 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 37/69
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Snake swim in 25 yd pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:59:02 | 16 miles | 16.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 52/69
Performance: Good
See log for lap & HR data.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on shoulder of farm road. Mosty rural farm and ranch land with the sweet smell of freshly mown hay.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:13 | 03.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 30/69
Performance: Good
See log for lap & HR data.
Course: 2 loops, finishing on football field in stadium. Fun way to finish! Astroturf in the stadium was really cushy underneath...wasn't expecting that, but felt kinda nice. Garmin said 2.9 miles, so thinking the run course was a bit short.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: Best of The Best

2012-06-25 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4278855

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Best of The Best
Nice race, sounds like you pushed it hard.  Some good times.  Congratulations
2012-06-25 10:00 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job out there!

2012-06-26 3:28 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Great job and yes on all your reasons for your awesome bike time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Best of The Best Rss Feed