General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
United States
RAM Racing
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 25s
Overall Rank = 56/400
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/22
Pre-race routine:

Ate a little bit and was going to have a gu before the swim but forgot...so had it on the run in to T1. Had another gu at the beginning of the run. A bit more gu than I would do for a sprint, but since I didn't eat a lot, I decided to go for it.
Event warmup:

Riding from hotel to race site. Struggling with wetsuit. You know, the usual crap I do instead of a proper warm up.
Swim
  • 17m 2s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not particularly eventful swim. I really wanted to stay away from any contact so I mostly navigated to be away from everyone. The only bizarre event was that stupid silicon swim cap managed to squirt itself off in the last 100 yards or so and my hair kept covering my goggles, making it impossible to sight. Fortunately this was at the end of the race. It was such a hassle, I might actually put a second cap in my wetsuit sleeve for my next races...or replace any silicon ones with similarly colored latex ones...I seriously felt like that sheep dog who is always beating up wile e. coyote. My shoulder never really hurt and it was tired after the race, but not sore. In fact it feels good after I swim.
What would you do differently?:

I desperately need a new wetsuit. One I can get off without Jaws of Life (see T1 debacle).
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

OMG I cannot stand not being able to get out of my wetsuit, it is driving me crazy. Seriously, how do people do it??? I am starting to think it is actually my suit, too small or something. Seeing as how I lost 3rd by a minute or so, this could have kept me off of the AG podium.
Bike
  • 35m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I am pretty sure nobody in my AG beat me on the bike. It was 12 miles of road rage.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I kind of lost focus here for a second. A coach friend of mine feels I should have been able to do this in under a minute. He's probably right, but when I got to the rack, some a-hole had hung his wetsuit on my bike number spot, so I had to take a few seconds to throw it about 5 feet. Listen up people, I am ok with most personal preferences in transition. Buckets, big towels, a ton of crap, whatever, I don't do it myself, but if it makes you happy, fine. But if you hang your effin' dripping wet wetsuit on the bike rack, you're just a douche. I totally got cheered up on the run out though, when I came up behind a guy trying to run his bike out with his helmet on backwards! Alas, not an aero helmet, but it was awesome nonetheless.
What would you do differently?:

Not be racked next to a douche. Go fast and ignore the "noise."
Run
  • 26m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This was fine. I am a crappy trail runner, mostly because I don't run trails. Mostly my strategy was the same as any run, survive the icky starting feeling, keep cadence high, effort even, try to hang on to any fellow AG in case I have enough juice for a last minute kick at the end. I did try to let the downhills give me some free speed, which was fun, and I totally didn't fall down even once. Win.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched bike in for a while waiting for OriolePwr and Babydaddy. Man is THAT entertaining! Then went over to watch the runners and finish line for a while. Shouted out to friends whenever I saw them...chatted with random strangers. Beer with the boys when they finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim speed and transitions are major contributors, I also think I should be able to run a bit faster, but mentally lazy by that time in a race. I need to pick up the pace for my next sprint run and see if I can hold it. Maybe shoot for sub 8's next race. I am getting better at triathlon though. But for the most part it looks like I'm either going to be a mediocre triathlete with great bike skills, or a mediocre biker with great triathlon skills. Sigh. I sure love my hobby though, what a fun day!

Event comments:

I have taken Ram Racing to task for their organization in the past, but I have to say they have gotten a lot better at triathlon, and I enjoyed this race. They really need to replace the bike in guy (surly teenager who had no interest in pointing out the dismount line, which apparently means it's optional to the riders (who knew)), but otherwise, the volunteers were happy and knowledgeable and the race was well run.

Last updated: 2012-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:02 | 820 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/400
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Full
Course: Out and back, parallel to shore, but in fairly deep, clear water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:36 | 12.43 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: More hills than I remember from two years ago, but "hills" in the midwestern sense. Wind in the face at first and a fun tailwind for the ride home. Well marked and guarded course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:13 | 03.11 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Fairly hilly, uneven in places, loop trail run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-06-25 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4279496

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course
2012-06-26 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4279496

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course

I did not notice you were riding in a wetsuit!  oh my! 

Great work out there.   You are FAST!  

Was fun hanging with ya!  Smile

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed