General Discussion Race Reports! » Storrie Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Storrie Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, New Mexico
United States
Chasing 3 Race Productions
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 36s
Overall Rank = 64/104
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

Picked up the packet on Saturday afternoon. Cool shirt and beer glass, wish I drank. We may have to get rid of our house glasses and start using all these cool race glasses! When I got back to the hotel I noticed I got the wrong bib #. I called the RD and she took care of it, seems 2 of us got switched. Got to the race early after 2 cups of sweet potato mixed with a huckleberry Hammer gel, and a protein shake.
Event warmup:

The swim is the warmup for me.
Swim
  • 31m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Either the course was short or the wetsuit really helps. This time includes running up the ramp to the T1 timer so actual swim time of 30:31, makes that about 18-20 seconds faster than my pool time per 100yds.
I hope it's me not the course!
I started toward the middle in the back 1/3 of the pack, in the water on the boat ramp. When the horn sounded it was an experience. My first OWS race was Billy the Kid and that was a deep water start. Everyone was spread out. This wasn't. Needless to say I swam the first 200 with my head out of the water to see what was going on. I was then able to settle into a rhythm and felt pretty good for the majority of it. Something has been bugging me allergy wise and I had some schmegma to deal with but luckily no choking.
What would you do differently?:

I think I dealt with it pretty well. Other than working on swim technique, endurance/base and more OWS experience. . . . nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Coming out of T2 onto the highway we had to go through a rough patch, really rough. I got an XLAB Turbo wing (double water bottle holder, behind the seat) that I had practiced with on our rough roads. Knowing it was a bottle launcher I though I had tested it thoroughly. I was wrong. I hit this rough patch an launched both bottles, breaking both bottles. I stopped and gathered them up after searching for 40-60 seconds. I probably lost 2 minutes here in loss of momentum, actual time and I was pumping some adrenaline due to irritation with the situation. This is reflected in my bike tike time not T1.

I need to figure out the trick with the bottles and holders, before the next race.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I got 1 gu in at the start of the bike realizing my bottle was broken at the spout. I held a pretty good pace all the way out finishing 1 bottle, saving what was left in the other for a gu at the turn and to sip on the way back down. The whole road has drunk bumps, or jiggle bars all the way out. Knowing this I stayed on the road on the way out so as not to get trapped. At the turn I was directed onto the shoulder. There was water at the turn but I thought all I need is what i have left to get me back to transition.
I passed one person on the shoulder and saw a pack of 5-6 riders who I thought I could catch on the downhill back. I am big, 6'2" 190lbs, downhill rides are fun when I can blow by all those skinny little guys who pass me on the way up. So i figure I need to get on the road side of the jiggle bars so I don't get trapped into a drafting or passing on the right situation thinking I can catch this group. At the midpoint going up a roller i decide to go for it and launch the bottles again. Obeying USAT rules, not wanting to litter, I stop and search for the bottles in the grass on the side of the road finding them both broken and empty, wasting another 2 minutes.
I am livid with the situation and without any hydration on the way back. I take a deep breath and call myself down and try not to burn it too hard on the way back.

These bottle launches cost me about 4 minutes I figure and about 10 places overall, maybe more including the dehydration on the run. I like the system better than the stab you in the mouth Aerodrink. I need to work out the bugs, I think duct tape will be the answer, it will fix anything right?

The actual part on the bike was great, the course was fun
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I changed quickly and drank some water. I always leave a water bottle in transition and this time it helped out a bunch.
Run
  • 1h 00m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I was going to have a tough time with this run. I had a gu at the first aid station and took 2 cups of water at each (maybe 3oz each) aid station and a sponge. I gave it my all, never walked and pushed through. I was starting to experience some involuntary face contortions toward the end which I figured was dehydration related. I passed 1 guy at the end and kicked it on the last mile. There was nothing left at the end.

As with the swim, I think I dealt with it pretty well. Other than working on run technique, endurance/base and more experience. . . . nothing. It was a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank some fluids, walked around and ate some fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PWBE, Premature Water Bottle Ejection

Event comments:

C3 does a great job and the RD was helpful with the packet mix up. An unseasoned RD may have added frustration and panic to the situation and she just took care of it. I liked the course and the bike ride is great.

Didn't stick around for the post race, my 5 year old cheerleader was pissed because he was trying to fish during the swim and thought we scared all the fish away. That combined with a 5am start to his day and the heat made leaving in the AC comfort of the truck was the best option for the family.

Last updated: 2012-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 61/104
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex4
Course: 2 laps clockwise on a triangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:21:39 | 24.85 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 63/104
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on 518, 1 small cat5 climb, some rollers and a long steady climb to the turn.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:52 | 06.21 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 68/104
Performance: Good
Course: Rollers with a mix of paved and dirt road, on creek crossing near the lake where a bridge was "out", no biggie added tot he fun. My map says almost 6.4 miles, maybe a little longer than 6.21.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 5:06 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
Subject: Storrie Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-06-25 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4279822

Subject: RE: Storrie Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
sounds like you did well under the circumstances!  I wonder if you could could superglue some small magnets for the water bottles?  That might be strong enough to keep them in but not so strong that you can't get a bottle out when you need it.  I don't know, just an idea, I'm new here... Smile
2012-06-25 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4279822

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice job! I agree that C3 puts on a pretty good race. I've never done one of their OWS races but they are well organized.

Nice job dealing with the issues. It's so easy to let a mishap de-rail your race but you pushed through.  I use the treacherous-straw-aero system but on my long rides I bring a water bottle too.  I hate it when it pops out!

2012-06-27 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4280170

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I used to have the same problem launching bottles until i bought their Gorilla cages then never again. 
2012-06-27 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4280170

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I used to have the same problem launching bottles until i bought their Gorilla cages then never again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Storrie Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed