General Discussion Race Reports! » I Love The Tavern Aquabike - USA Triathlon Aquabike National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

I Love The Tavern Aquabike - USA Triathlon Aquabike National Championship - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Midlothian, Virginia
United States
Richmond Multisports
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 42s
Overall Rank = 29/125
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and was about fourth in line to get into T1. Got everything set up and then headed up to swim start. Difficult to find. Nobody seemed real sure where to go.
Event warmup:

Swam across the river several times. Waited for everyone else to show up. Wanted to have plenty of time to warm up swim.
Swim
  • 08m 44s
  • 711 yards
  • 01m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam as straight as I have in a long time. I have a tendency to go crooked when I try to swim fast. So my goal was to relax and swim straight. Expected 10 minutes so there was a little current helping us
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little harder. But I wanted to swim straight.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Passed 4 people on the ramp and running out of T1.

Learn to have shoes on bike and run through T1 in bare feet instead of bike shoes. Thought about doing that, but thought better of it sense I have never done it before.
Bike
  • 49m 57s
  • 18.8 miles
  • 22.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills are not my specialty. Did Eagleman aquabike two weeks ago. Used 2 or maybe 3 gears for whole race. Today used ever single gear and several times from one end of chain ring to the other in half mile. Passed and got passed by the one guy in my AG (John I think) at least 12 times. He beat me up hills and I got him going down every time. Big hill at turnaround was 6 mph going up and 43 coming down. I was expecting it to be a little faster, but that was fast enough. When we turned off big road back down to finish line, I decided to really hammer it to race my AG buddy. He had me by about 100 yards when we turned. I put it big gear and hammered as hard as I could. Hit 36 mph and I guess I surprised him. I looked back with about 100 yards to go and he was not there. Good news.

Not much I could do training wise. Just not any hills where I live. Thanks to John had a great ride. Faster than I thought I could do in the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. 10 minutes afterwards did not feel like I had raced. I guess without the run, recovery is much easier.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training.

Event comments:

Only 2 suggestions. Mark directions to swim start and rack Aquabikers on left side of transition. We had to cross the runners going out. More of a pain for them than us.
I will definitely race this again if they have AB nationals here again.

Last updated: 2012-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:44 | 711 yards | 01m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 30/125
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight down river with mild current. Buoys were in middle of river. For sighting only. You could swim wherever you wanted to in the middle of the river or along the bank if that made you feel better. More current out in river. Only about 100 yards wide.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:57 | 18.8 miles | 22.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 29/125
Average HR was 164. Closer to running HR than biking. Max was 188.
Wind: None
Course: Hilly for me. I live on an island and have only one small bridge to train on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 103
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-26 10:23 AM

New user
Hilton Head Island
Subject: I Love The Tavern Aquabike - USA Triathlon Aquabike National Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » I Love The Tavern Aquabike - USA Triathlon Aquabike National Championship Rss Feed