General Discussion Race Reports! » Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
Milwaukee World Festival, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 12s
Overall Rank = 1248/2400
Age Group = M 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 112/193
Run
  • 1h 59m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

After last year's "Sufferfest" debacle in brutal heat and humidity with poor race organization, I was a little skeptical tackling this one again. But I wanted redemption and I knew that with cooler temps and an earlier start time, this could be a great race. Boy, was I ever right. The organization was improved 100% over last year, with a convenient gear drop off, a well-marked system of start corrals, well-stocked aid station and a much-improved route.

I especially thought the changes to the route were the key. I really liked heading up Lafayette Hill to the path along Lake Drive after coming down the Hoan Bridge-- the shade was very welcome after being exposed to the sun on the entire portion on the Hoan, and this section was relatively flat allowing the chance to recover after the the inclines of the bridge. It was also nice getting to enjoy the lakefront (and its cool breezes) more toward the finish-- it felt more like you were getting to the end of the race.

My right ankle, always a problem, had been acting up all week leading up to the race. Luckily, the pain seemed to most go away once it got warmed up (after the race, it was a much different story-- I could hardly walk on it the rest of the day).

Unlike last year, the bridge really seemed to take a lot out of me-- my heart rate was high and I felt like I may be walking soon around the 6-mile mark. I definitely thought I'd be walking up Lafayette Hill, but I just slowed my pace and made it all the way up. In fact, after conquering the Hill I felt significantly better and found my race pace again. I then had a long good stretch running along the Linc-Mem path, until reaching Veterans Park when things got tough again. They pretty much stayed tough through the finish but I kept running and gave maximum effort throughout. I was very pleased with my effort.

Looking back, I may have gone out a little too fast over the Hoan, but I really ran a solid, smart race-- and needed every bit of effort to reach my goal of going sub-2.

Post race
Warm down:

Post race again was much improved over last year. There was plenty of room for racers and spectators alike and lots of bananas, chocolate milk and other food available. Don Smiley himself announced the podium finishers from the Harley stage, with a band scheduled to play afterward. Gear pick up was easy and there was even a nice merch stand. It was a great way to cap off what will soon be recognized as a world-class race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I may have pushed it too hard going over the Hoan and needed a recovery period afterward. Also, I had to be very careful with my balky ankle, considering how much it had been hurting me leading up to the race.

Event comments:

100% improvement over last year. Packet pickup at the ICC, the start, the course, the aid stations and volunteers, the post-race activities-- everything was vastly better. This is going to be a premiere race and one which I look forward to doing again in the future.

I was also very pleased to get redemption for my very difficult race here last year (when I finished at about 2:17) and set a new PR, going sub-2 for the first time at this distance. I'll never be fast, but I'm more than happy at just getting FASTER (for me).

Last updated: 2012-06-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:12 | 13.1 miles | 09m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/193
Overall: 0/2400
Performance:
Course: Changed from 2011. Loop over and back across Hoan Bridge, then up Lafayette Hill onto shaded path above Lake Drive, to UWM, back along path along Lincoln Memorial Drive to Veterans Park and onto the island, finish around Marcus Amphitheater.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-26 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon

2012-06-26 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4280987

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon
Great job!!!  So glad you "redeemed" yourself!
2012-06-27 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4280987

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon
Nice job Rich and way to execute your redemption on that race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Half Marathon Rss Feed