General Discussion Race Reports! » Victoria Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Victoria Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
The Subaru Western Triathlon Series
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 07m 54s
Overall Rank = 8(F)/98(F)
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site early, around 5:20. Set up transition, then went for a 10 minute run along the trail to warm up. Put on my wetsuit with about 10 minutes until the gun, swam a teeny bit, then seeded myself in the 3rd row toward the middle. I normally don't seed myself this close to the meelee, but per my coach "you're going to get caught in the mess anyway, so might as well start up front".
Event warmup:

10 minute run/2 minute swim.
Swim
  • 34m 12s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

WOW! Best swim yet. I have been spending a lot of time in the pool during masters and attended an OWS clinic the weekend before the race where I learned a very efficient sighting technique. I learned I sight far too little and end up off course almost every time. Using the new technique I was able to sight every 5-10 strokes without interrupting my stroke. Felt on target the whole way. Tried to draft a bit, but never found anyone my pace for very long. Kept my effort steady, I knew I didn't want to blow too much energy this early in the race.
What would you do differently?:

Nearly nothing. I think more time in the pool and OWS over the summer will really continue to improve my times here. This swim was a 5 minute HIM PR!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I really need to learn how to A) put helmet on at the same time as taking off the suit and B) put my shoes on my bike.

This wasn't what cost me the most time though. I lost my chip while taking off the wetsuit and was lucky enough to notice it laying on the grass before taking off with my bike. Had to stop and reattach. In the process I forgot all of my Gu packets I had set out for myself to grab. I should attach them to the bike next time.

See above. I never make practicing transitions a priority. Need to fix that.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 8s
  • 53.44 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

This was weird. I'm used to coming out of the water pretty late, and passing lots of people once I'm on the bike. Today was different because I actually put down a respectable swim time. I tried dropping lots of people like I normally do, but they were strong riders and stayed right with me. Some people went flying by me in sections where I was working hard. The wind was pretty strong by the time we got on the bike course, but due to the loop it was alternating between headwind, crosswind, and tailwind the whole way. Never noticed the tailwind, but really noticed the cross/headwinds! I also expected smaller and fewer hills, but this ride is really quite hilly most of the way. All these things combined to really mess with my attitude. I was convinced I was going super slow and was having a bad day. It wasn't until halfway through the second lap that I realized I was not doing too shabby.

Mechanical issues: dropped my chain at one point and had to put it back on. Afterwards my derailleur in the front began rubbing. In my attempt to fix that the shifter got so tight that it took two hands to switch from small ring to big ring. Not good on a hilly course.

I think having a better attitude would have resulted in a better time. I really need to fight those demons that come out when you're working very hard and feeling like you're not getting to where you think you should be, perfomance-wise.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Nothing too much to report here. It'd be nice to learn how to get my feet out of my shoes while the bike is still moving.
Run
  • 1h 37m 59s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This went better than expected. I felt like I worked pretty hard on the bike, so I was worried I'd burn out early on the run (as has happened to me in my first two HIMs). Thankfully, I still had running legs. I paced myself to a marathon-effort (HR where I'd expect it at the end of a marathon). This felt hard but manageable. Didn't pass too many people on the first lap, but worked my way up on the second. Didn't drink too much, and the only calories I took in was a half cup of Gatorade. My stomach never seems to want anything at the end of a harder effort.

Not much. I probably need to train to eat more so I'm not dying at the end of longer races (like IM). I ended up consuming maybe 400 cals the whole race, which was fine today but maybe not in August during IMC!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, milled around trying to find the food tent. It's not well marked so it was hard to find. Congratulated my teammates before rushing out of there to make it back to the hotel to shower before check out. Came back and claimed my 3rd AG podium!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mental state during the bike was negative, which can't really be a good thing. My T1 was too unorganized. Need to get more efficient.

Event comments:

Very nice race overall. Loved the run course. It's very peaceful running on trails through the woods.

Last updated: 2012-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:12 | 2078 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 14/98(F)
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy Energie
Course: One big rectangular loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:52:08 | 53.44 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Overall: 12/98(F)
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loops in rural Victoria. It was advertised to me as rolling, but I'd classify it more as hilly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:37:59 | 12.43 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 9/98(F)
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops on a peaceful trail around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-26 1:05 PM

User image

Seattle, WA
Subject: Victoria Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victoria Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed