Columbia Triathlon Association
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 4s
Overall Rank = 571/885
Age Group = A40+
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Relished in my last-wave-of-the-day placement with free & unrestricted access to the portapotties once the race began.
Event warmup:

stretched. applied sunscreen. could've probably gone out for coffee and come back - got to the park later than usual, just past 5:30, and my wave went off at 8:08.
Swim
  • 23m 8s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

2 minutes slower than last year, with 1/10 mile longer... grumble. whine. really wanted to hit 20 min... sigh. at least being fairly fast in a small wave meant that i could go out fast(er) and avoid the blender. And, probably lost a little time when I stopped to tread water & cheer for a teammate who truly hates the swim......
What would you do differently?:

um, follow the course?
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

An improvement for me, since I am clearly incapable of moving any faster into and through T1. Always so winded popping up and scrambling out of the lake, so at least meandering through T1 allows me adequate time to chat with adoring fans as I saunter by.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 44s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 14.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Really hoped - expected? - I'd be faster on the new bike & since I'm presumably healthier than last year... looking forward to bike fit in July and a saddle that doesn't cause the sensation of flames erupting through the 1/4 inch bed of aquafor in my shorts. Another plus of being in the last wave was the smug satisfaction of being able to pass some guys from earlier waves.

um, pedal faster?
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

actually, the one part of my race that was a blistering PR, lol
Run
  • 42m 7s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Can't figure out why this, too, was slower than last year when I'm running more?! Maybe bc I really don't like it?! Also nice that ice was hiding if requested at first water stop... and yet another advantage of athena-size is the ability to hold 2.5 cups of ice in my bra. Whatever was left went into my shorts, and I loved how the ice knew just where I'd been scorched on the bike, as it followed that trail on the way out of my pants legs. The last mile of the run didn't suck too badly, and I didn't walk much, thanks to the 2 other big girls who'd intermittently get ahead, and then behind me... I mean, it's one thing to know I'm slow, and another to LET them get past me. One of those witches had the temerity to try to pass me in the finish chute, but I smoked past her with my blazing slug-like speed and left her behind me when I crossed the mats. I clearly remembered my 1st pre-race talk 2 years ago and hearing that you should never, EVER let anyone pass you in the chute. I listened!

train? Really, do a brick or 2 that actually involve running.
Post race
Warm down:

It was pretty darn hot - no warm down required.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mother nature. Gene pool. Age. Training. I'm sure there's more.

Event comments:

Love this race - it was my first. Especially loved seeing the handcycles out there, and it's not every race that fellow athletes have to stop to remove and adjust their legs. Hope the work with MedStar Rehab continues and that even more paratriathletes join us next year.

Last updated: 2011-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:08 | 1094 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 318/885
Performance: Bad
actually, that was .10 mile longer than advertised and listed above, in my personal version of the course
Suit: as little as possible
Course: a rectangle with a circle in the middle since my inner blondness never bothered to double-check the course I should know well enough to know that the orange buoys are ALWAYS on the left vs. the right.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: