Boulder, Colorado
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 1h 38m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 21/71
Pre-race routine:

Got up early even though I had a late heat- was worried about parking. Had a cup of coffee and drove over to the venue. Ate a bagel with some sun butter I had in my car from a stroke and stride. Should have planned breakfast better.
Event warmup:

Did 3 laps around the swim area. Water felt cold since the air was so warm.
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up front and center and sprinted to open water. Later I got run over by a pack of 4 women which was a challenge. Then I swam by myself the whole way in. Overall pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not sprint so much out of the gates. And toughen up about swimming in a pack.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Pretty good considering I had to remove a wet suit and put shoes and socks on.
Bike
  • 55m 48s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a huge improvement for me! I was thrilled with my ride. I just kept pushing the whole time and felt like my training was there to support it. This was probably my weakest leg - but my focus on it this spring really helped. It was also big that I pre-rode the course a few times and could just tell myself to hammer up to the light at the end of Broadway.

I should have trained more in aero, but got my new mountain bike and did a lot of training on that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I just swapped shoes, traded helmet for visor and went. Pretty funny when I went to pick up my stuff what a mess I left it in. Bike shoes Velcro still undone tossed in random places. It definitely looked like I had been in a hurry. I was pretty happy with this.

Nothing - pretty happy with sub 1 minute.
Run
  • 26m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

It was HOT! I had some shot bloks I should have grabbed in my transition, but figured I would just get a sports drink on the run. I never found one however. Lots of water and offers of gu and bars, but can't do those while running. I just pushed through it and kept going. I was pretty happy with my time given limited training due to a broken toe in April. I gave it my all and ended up dry heaving in the parking lot. I freaked out when I crested the hill and the finish line was not at the bottom like every other event I've done at the res. I had nothing left and for the life of me couldn't remember where the finish line was. I eventually made it though and collapsed under a tree. That cold wet towel sure did feel good.

Grabbed my shot Bloks for the run start.
Post race
Warm down:

Does 15 minutes of dry heaving count?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of running training. Need more mass start OW practice.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race. It was exactly as expected. No surprises. I thought it was really we organized other than never finding sports drink (could have been me.) Really could have used a Gatorade on the run or after finishing. The post race food could have been better. Although I did love the Evol mini Burrito!

Last updated: 2012-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 880 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/71
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:48 | 17.2 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:54 | 03.1 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-26 11:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2012-06-26 11:38 PM
in reply to: #4282187

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

Outstanding race and report!  You dry heaved due to exertion.  Way to go.  Can't put more effort into an event than that. Your swim time is awesome, your bike is very impressive.  Your run is very respectable especially considering the lack of run training. 

I bet with a month of run training, the dry heaving does not happen.  That hurts like a son of a gun when you run that hard.  Way 2 go, I'm very inspired.

2012-06-27 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4282201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks!  I think the swim distance they have here is too long.  The race results had me at a 1:34 pace.  So, not quite that fast!  Maybe next year.
2012-06-27 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4282187

User image

Expert

Awesome work!  Looks like a great race for you!  I wish I could swim as fast as you Tongue out

A quick tip about grabbing your nutrition in transition.  I usually pin my race number to my spi belt (belt with a zippered pocket), which contains my run nutrition in it.  You could also buy one of those specialty race belts that has a pocket for your blocks.  Then I clip it around my visor, so in transition all I have to do it switch shoes and grab my visor/belt which are attached to each other.  I put both on while already running.  That way, I have my nutrition in the race belt pocket in case they don't have sports beverage on the course.  My race last week had gatorade so I didn't end up using my own stuff, but it was good to have it there in case!  Just a thought for next time!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed