General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
RecPlex
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 21s
Overall Rank = 214/663
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 48/117
Pre-race routine:

Dropped off bike the day before. Noted that parking the next morning may be problematic, so my mother decided she would drive me down Sunday morning and drop me off and my wife would pick me up when finished. Got up in what I thought would be plenty of time to get dropped off and set up transition. Had my usual large cup of cappuccino and a banana. Arrived and found the police had blocked the road to the Recplex, so I had to walk briskly to get to transition before it closed. A very very quick set up as they were chasing me out.
Event warmup:

none - wish I had arrived earlier to get one in
Swim
  • 29m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Luckily I didn't have to wait long for my wave to start, so wasn't behingd the berm long. Wanted to pace myself as this was my first group start. Overall I know I could have pushed harder, but swimming is not my strong suit anyway, so just wanted to survive. I tried drafting for the first time and found it very distracting because I was always worried about touching the person in fronts feet. I know I swam wider than I had to, but I think I rather like being somewhat uncrowded. Overall navigation was good except at the very end when about 100 yards from the finish someone knocked my goggles off. I stuck them back on, but water was inside and found myself having to swim a bit extra to stay outside that last buoy.
What would you do differently?:

not much. maybe tuck my goggles under my cap and stat tighter to the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

better than my first triathlon T1 by one minute, but still slow. The wet suit got stuck on my ankles again even with body glide. I try to cram in some nutrition/hydration here to, but maybe thats not the best use of the time?

find some trick for getting wetsuit off. overall, I think that is the biggest time waster in T1 for me at this point
Bike
  • 1h 06m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the competition was going to be a lot better here than at my first triathlon and I was right. Some real fast bikers! Plus the overall numbers were greater making it somewhat hard to pass. Judging by how well I felt during the run I think I could have pushed harder on the bike. I missed the turnaround sign somehow and rode almost to transition before I realized it and turned around. I'd guess I added a half mile to my distance. When I saw my speed calculation I was pretty happy, but that doesn't take into account the extra distance. Let me tell you it was very disheartening!

Not miss the turn around sign!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s

nothing
Run
  • 46m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really strong on the run especially at the end. weather was perfect, just a slight hot spot on the first turn around when the breeze died for a while.

I think I could have started at a quicker pace, but maybe not if I had pushed harder on the bike or if it had been harder. I'm finding that to be the dilemma with triathlon...how do you find the balance between all the sports to say I did my best in every segment during that particular race. It may be easier if you were to stick to one distance all the time, but I won't get that chance as Racine 70.3 is up next.
Post race
Warm down:

drank water, gatorade and had a banana

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the unknown

Last updated: 2012-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/117
Overall: 0/663
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra
Course: a triangle marked by buoys. water is fairly clear and temperature was perfect.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:50 | 24.85 miles | 22.31 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: rolling hills, only a few tight turns. Two identical loops this year. WATCH for the turnaround sign!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:14 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: an out a back twice basically.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-29 4:50 PM

User image

Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed