DQ Events
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 47s
Overall Rank = 115/245
Age Group = 25-29 F
Age Group Rank = 6/19
Pre-race routine:

Well, the day before, I decided to ride the hour each way to check in. I am sure glad I did, because the directions on the race's Web site were wrong and I really would have been stressing if I had waited until race morning to check in!

Okay, day of the race:

Got up at 4:45 a.m., took a shower, popped in contacts and got dressed, ate some oatmeal, brushed teeth, put bike on the roof of my car, threw bags in car, and left around 5:20-5:25. This is the first time I ever drove to a race by myself. I get really nervous, so I actually enjoyed it as it meant I didn't have to talk to anyone. I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the ride down, as well as 1/2 a banana.

I showed up at the race around 6:30, so I had plenty of time to set up my transition area, get body marked, walk thru transition area, etc. It was nice. Met some cool people and my nerves were pretty calm at this point.

Oh, and I went to the bathroom A LOT...both at home and at the race site. Good thing the port-o-pot situation was a good one...much unlike the nightmare I had two nights before :). And, much unlike the nightmare, there was no snow in the transition area :)
Event warmup:

Figured I should hop on my bike since I hadn't been on it at all since I took it to my LBS for a check-over the day before. Good thing I hopped on there, b/c my back brake was rubbing. I found someone who helped me fix it and it was all good.
Swim
  • 07m 52s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

My parents came down to the swim area with me and helped me zip up my wetsuit. I didn't know anyone there, so it was nice to have them keep me company. At one point, an older gentleman came over and asked if I'd zip up his wetsuit, so I did, and then all these other people came over and asked. I became the official wetsuit zipper upper. One was a hot tri guy, but my parents were there, so I didn't make a move :). haha (That was a joke, I wouldn't have made a move sans parents either.)

The race started like 25 minutes late and I started to feel hungry right before the swim.

I was in the 3rd wave (waves were 3 mins apart). I decided to start at the front of the pack b/c in my last two tris last season, I started in the back and I think that hurt me. Starting in the front this time was a good idea. I must've gotten a better jump than most, b/c I really didn't have that stressful a swim start. Just a little bit of kicking, but no one was swimming over me or anything.

I felt really strong during the whole swim. I did feel a little hungry too. While setting up my transition area, I ate like 1/2 a power bar. During the whole swim, I was trying to remember where I may have put it so that perhaps I could get another bite before I leave T1. I think that kept my mind off the swim. The buoys were kinda small and I had a hard time spotting them on occasion. I just followed the swimmers. I ran into a lot of people from the waves in front of me when I rounded the last buoy and started the homestretch. I hate not being in the first wave, b/c it's frustrating when you run into a wall of people in the water. I ran out of the water and caught a glimpse of my parents' faces. I could tell by looking at them that I had had a really good swim :).
What would you do differently?:

Take two or three more strokes before standing up and running out of the water. Otherwise, I was really happy with the swim. Loved it!
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

There was a really long run from the swim exit to the timing pad, which is why I am surprised T1 took me so long. I had my goggles, cap, and top half of wetsuit off by the time I reached my transition area. I felt like I got the bottom of my wetsuit off pretty quickly. The girl next to me was having some trouble with her wetsuit, so I suggested she try doing what I do - stand on it with the foot opposite of the one you're trying to pull out of the wetsuit.

I got my helmet and sunglasses on quickly. I dried my left foot, but forgot to dry the right foot, and then slipped on my socks and shoes. I've never raced with a gel, but plan on taking two during the bike of my Oly later this month, so I figured I should practice. I didn't know where to put it (my tri suit doesn't have the little slots), so I stuck it in the pant leg of my tri suit (down at the bottom). It seemed to work. (This was a decision I had made before the race started.)

I actually ran pretty quickly with my bike and passed people out of T1. FUN! :)

Maybe stop helping other people and focus on my own transition! :) I tend to get a little chatty in there. haha
Bike
  • 46m 47s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, unfortunately, I had forgotten to reset my cyclocomputer, so I was a little lost throughout the ride...wasn't sure what avg speed was, what my distance was, or how long I had been on there.

The first few miles were great. I was holding it steady right around 21 mph and passing lots of people. Then, we turned onto this one road and there was a headwind. I don't think it was that strong, but it reduced me to 17.5-18 mph and I just couldn't get above that no matter how hard I worked. This road lasted about 4-5 miles I guess. It was a good portion of the ride. I got passed by a few people, but less than what I had passed earlier so that was good. Then, I turned off that road and onto another one that just had a light crosswind. The wind didn't bother me, but I was having the hardest time finding a comfortable gear. I was still going rather slowly (like 18 or so) and held that for another few miles. I don't know if it was the road surface or a false flat or what. My legs felt great, but I could not find a gear that allowed me to settle back into that 20-21 mph pace. I was only passed by two people during that time - it was two females with sweet tri bikes and rockin' bodies. The second girl that passed was actually drafting off the first girl. As they were passing, I finally found my comfortable gear and was ready to pick it up. I felt weird passing them immediately after they passed me as it would be embarrasing to me if they just passed me right away again, and it would be annoying to them. So, I held back for about a minute or two and watched as the second girl continued to draft off the first. Then, I made my move and passed...they never passed me again and I held a great speed till the end.

With about 5 minutes to go, I ate my gel. The pant leg thing worked wonderfully. Unfortunately, I didn't eat the whole gel, so when I put it in my pant leg again, i put it in there upside down and I had gu running all down my leg :). oh well.

I am a little disappointed with my time, but honestly I felt as though I was giving 100% during those "slow" periods of mine, so I can't be too angry with myself.

I should have passed those two girls immediately. It may have cut like 45 seconds off my time. But, I can't say for sure.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

This was a pretty good T2, and I ranked pretty highly overall.

My legs felt really heavy as I was running to my transition area with my bike. But, but the time I got my shoes on and headed out, they felt great!
Run
  • 25m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out the run breathing very heavily. Everything else felt fine, but I was breathing really hard. It was weird, b/c I haven't breathed that hard in forever on a run. It was actually getting really annoyed and I considered slowing it down a bit so I could get my breathing on track. I decided to keep pace, though, and that was a good thing. I guess my breathing was at its normal by about the 1-mile mark.

I felt really good during the run.

Oh, at one of the water stations, a girl was standing there holding a cup and I ran by and grabbed it from her. I should've slowed down a bit, b/c when I grabbed it, water splashed up everywhere. Before I could get out an, "I'm sorry," the girl starts screaming: "Ewwww, ewww, that is so gross, oh my god, that is disgusting, I got water all over me...." Her behavior was so uncalled for that I decided she didn't deserve my apology. I mean, it was only water. It's not like it was gatorade and she was going to have juice stuck to her all day, it's not like I was handing her a cup I had been drinking out of. It was clean, fresh water that splashed on her on a warm spring day. She was a little ridiculous. I do feel bad about it, but her behavior was crazy and uneccessary. I kept running.

This was my PB for a 5K. For anyone that's been following my lots, you know that my runs have been faster during my bricks than they are when I just run, so I am not terribly surprised that I ran so fast (well, fast for me).

Run faster. I felt great when I finished and actually picked it up at the end. I probably could have run faster throughout. But I have no regrets on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with the parents a little, grabbed some food, met some BTers. I didn't stretch at all, but I should have b/c I could tell during my ride today. Oh well...lessons learned.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Physically and mentally, I was 100% I think

Event comments:

I really liked this race. I will probably do it again next year. It started late, but so far all the races I've down through DQ have started late, so I guess I should just come to expect that.

Last updated: 2006-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:52 | 440 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 60/245
Performance: Good
Suit: QR wetsuit
Course: It was a big U-shape, but with clockwise turns, which I was a little nervous about b/c that meant all buoys were to the right, but I breathe to the left.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:47 | 15.2 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Overall: 112/245
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:25 | 03.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 159/245
Performance: Good
Course: On asphalt, but through the woods, so it was shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 8:17 PM

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: Belleplain Triathlon

2006-06-05 8:26 PM
in reply to: #444196

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Belleplain Triathlon
I forgot to mention during my swim and T1 description that this was my first time racing in a wetsuit. I really liked it and it was good practice for my first Oly, which is in three weeks.
2006-06-05 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
South Jersey
hey zipper upper....sounds like you had a good race for your first one of the season, and great job on you swim and you PB for your run.  a wetsuit does make a difference...
2006-06-06 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Great job!!
2006-06-06 7:25 AM

User image

Regular
New Jersey
Great Job!!!  You did great!!
2006-06-06 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Lauren  GREAT JOB!!!  Great race report!!!!

2006-06-06 11:04 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Lauren, get job.  Those are some awesome times.  And you had to know the gel would come out when you put it back in your shorts.  
2006-06-06 2:25 PM
in reply to: #444811

Champion
South Jersey
Well, I wasn't counting on put it back in there upside down . haha.
2006-06-06 4:02 PM

Albuquerque, NM

Nice race, and you posted some pretty fast splits!  Good job.  I couldn't help but laugh at the part of your race report about the water and the girl's reaction...like you said, it's only water. 

Mike 

2006-06-06 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
great job!  It was nice to meet you.
2006-06-06 8:06 PM

Awesome race! And who volunteers for a triathlon without expecting to get a little water on them? Very strange.

2006-06-09 3:44 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Great job. You did really good.

Now you are ready for the Olympic distance

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belleplain Triathlon Rss Feed