Graham Chamber of Commerce
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Early AM Mcdonald's breakfast-It sucked but did the job.
Event warmup:

Nothing really, it is a bike rally. Made the bathroom run, got the bike setup, talked to my flying buddy Craig who has been cycling now a year or two and involved in this event. Couple of laps around the courthouse, a slow paced rendition of The National Anthem a cannon shot and we are off
Bike
  • 3h 11m
  • 62 miles
  • 19.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I was in the back of the lead group early, it seemed the leaders were attacking each other from the gun, at one point a gap opened up about 7 miles in and I reacted quickly, jumped around some stragglers and made that break but a few miles later it began to string out and once again I was pretty far back, by the time I noticed the gap I decided I probably couldn't/shouldn't bridge it so i ode in no mans land for a while. Then I drafted a bit with another solo rider trying to bridge up to a smaller group that had been dropped, I let them go and traded pulls with another guy "Orbea Guy", let him go and rode easy a bit still averaging 23mph, a pair of guys, "Trek Maldone Guy" and "Red shirt high sock guy" (not their real names) caught up and I settled in with them, one was just wheel sucking and I traded pulls with the other then ended up giving a clinic on pace lines, that got out pace up and we caught one of the solo guys I had been with, he joined in -we got up to six but some of them would accelerate and broke it up, we finally dropped the 2 and I rode with Orbea guy, that turns out wasn't his name, it is Mark, I left him behind before the rollers after warning him, we reconnected briefly before the power plant then I dropped him again, was caught and rode with a kid on a make shift tri bike whom had been in the original lead group chatted a bit, dropped him and finished at 3:11. This is a good time for me but not the 20 mph avg I wanted. Under the circumstances not bad. I will got it a "current PR" as in the fastest 100k during my recent incarnation as an athlete. My lifetime PR is 2:56 apx and that was the 90's
What would you do differently?:

Position myself closer to the front of the lead group and dig a bit deeper to hang on with them. If I could have stayed through the next 1 or 2 selections that would put me at 25 maybe 30 miles in still with a 23-24 avg. I know that from experience but executing it is a bit harder. I am curious and excited to see how it plays out in Paris in 2 weeks.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with "make shift tri bike" he is doing the same 5k on the 4th as I and I think he is doing the Disco x-50 which I am uncertain about. Got my free sausage on a bun, a Dr Pepper-it's a Texas thing, some water, shook hands with Orbea Guy-Mark, and my friend Craig then off to the room to shower and write my RP before driving home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did ok. I have some pain/tightness in the back of my right upper leg, presumably a hamstring "thing" It has my attention but has not hobbled me or alarmed me, yet.

Event comments:

I made mention of two places i thought could be addressed involving gravel in a fast corner. This is an event that had disappeared from the calender for ten years and was resurrected last year. The turnout was easily 4x greater than last year. Im glad it is working out for them

Last updated: 2012-01-05 12:00 AM
Biking
03:11:00 | 62 miles | 19.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
The first 10 miles was at about a 25 mph avg, my HR was creeping up but I was less interested in that than just hammering this course to see what I could do this year and on this bike
Wind: Some
Course: A large loop, mostly rural highway, some rough roads that suffered during last year's drought but not as bad as some people made it out to be, even the recent chip seal was mild. It was a head wind return with some rollers late in the ride
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right