General Discussion Race Reports! » RaceVermont.com Sprint Triathlon I Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RaceVermont.com Sprint Triathlon I - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shelburne, Vermont
United States
Race Vermont
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 45s
Overall Rank = 19/114
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

The Background

Had you told me as recently as last April that I'd be running triathlons, I'd have chuckled. No ... I pretty much just run. It's all I've really done since I was a kid. I had a bike in High School, but never got into it as much as some of my friends. I recalled liking it ... completed a 100 miler, but then I just ran once I got out of college. Knowing me, I'd need to drop a bunch of money on a fairly good ride, all the gear that goes with it ... and that just didn't really ever appeal to me.

Then, an injury after last year's spring marathons required me to stop running in order to heal. And everything was looking like it was going to be a long time before I'd be able to run any sort of real mileage again. So I dropped a bunch of money on a fairly good ride, all the gear that goes with it, and decided I'd bike my way through the summer. Two of my friends, Tom and Sheila Weaver, were kind enough to show me all the amazing back roads of Vermont and stoked my fire for the ride with frequent weekend long rides.

Then, in August, I received an e-mail from the local running organization indicating that USA Triathlon would be hosting their National Age Group Championships in Burlington for 2011 and 2012. They wanted to show USAT what the local running community had to offer for volunteers, so I signed up. I was amazed at the scene when I showed up at 5am ... thousands of bikes and amazingly fit athletes from all over the country showed up to race in the sports premier amateur event. I was hooked.

Sheila suggested I start swimming with her Masters Swim group, but I had never really been a swimmer. I could hack out a few strokes chasing a frisbee, and I have always been very comfortable in the water, but I've never been a swimmer. But, as I said, I was hooked. I wanted to be part of that National Championship. They close down the local Interstate connector for part of the bike course!! I contacted the Masters Swim coach, identified myself as the swim hack that I am, and asked if he'd still work with me. An Ironman triathlete himself, he agreed to take me on.So I started swimming in October. I jumped in the pool, swam 25 yards, and wondered what I had done to myself. I was out of breath and completely in need of a few minutes of rest. But I stayed the course and showed up 3 or 4 times per week through the middle of June. I became a swimmer. Not really all that close to a front of the pack swimmer, but I could hold my own with the local triathlon crowd.

I signed up for two races that would allow me to compete for a spot at the National Championships to be held, again in Burlington, in August.Today was the first of those two races. The top 10% of each age group is allowed entry into the National Championships. Given that this is a smaller field (12 in my age group competed last year), I'd need to win my age group in order to get the spot. My August 5th race is a "special qualifier" and offers the spot to the top 33% of each age group ... there, I'd need to be top 5 in my group. I didn't think I'd be able to secure the win, given last year's times, but I wanted to race as hard as I could and get a feel for what these triathlons require.

I joined an online discussion form at Beginner Triathlete.com to start taking in as much as I could about the sport. Within that forum, I joined a mentor sub-group that was hosted by a local triathlete. Scott is all you'd want from a mentor ... very patient with all of the newbie questions and quick to offer encouragement and advice. We haven't found time to actually train together yet, but the online discussions have been invaluable. I showed up to the event well informed and ready to race.
Event warmup:

Arrival

I'm a freak about getting to race events early. I like to get there, take in the scene, and allow myself to relax before the event. For a triathlon, that also includes setting up your transition area for a smooth transition in between each of the events. Marianne woke up early too and we left the house at 6:30 for the ride to Shelburne. I got myself checked in, gathered my numbered swim cap and headed into the transition area to get things laid out.

I loaded my bike on the rack and started unpacking my gear. Scott walked over and I realized that I had racked my bike right next to his. Awesome omen. As we began making sure we were all set up, another triathlete racked his bike next to mine and I realized it was Peter ... a friend of a friend who I've been corresponding with via Facebook, but we've never actually met. Peter is a triathlon stud. I looked over, got his attention, and we actually shook hands in real life. Awesome omen #2. It's amazing, in this Facebook world, how you can "meet" another person who would normally share similar social circles with you, lives about a mile away, and you first meet in person well after you meet online.

Scott and I decided to get a warm-up swim, so we squeezed into the wetsuits and headed down to the lake.The lake is shallow at this beach, so the start was going to involve a bit of a run. It was, however, important to start swimming as soon as possible given the overwhelming number of zebra mussels that inhabit the lake. They can really shred your feet of you run over the top of them.

I've had to accustomize myself to open water swimming over the past few weeks. Given my childhood inner ear issues, I still collect water into my ears very easily. Lake Champlain remains cold well into June, and cold water on the ear drum instigates almost immediate nausea for me. I found this out on my first open water swim with Sheila. Since then, I take ginger and apply ear plugs and haven't had any issues.I'm constantly amazed by the fact that I get to train for triathlon in one of the most beautiful settings I can possibly imagine. Biking through the Green Mountains and swimming in Lake Champlain is an absolute gift.
Swim
  • 08m 10s
  • 525 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The Swim

When you grow up with three brothers, camping each summer on lakes around Wisconsin, you learn how to handle getting dunked a few times in the water. Chicken fights, diving for frisbees ... it all prepped me well to handle the start of a triathlon. Again, this is a small field ... there wasn't a lot of crowding, but I think there is a benefit to going into the swim calm and not too concerned with any contact. I know where I stand in relation to the typical field for the bike and run, but didn't really have a sense of where to start for the swim. I decided to place myself up front and allow anyone who needed to swim over the top of me to do so.

As it turns out, that wasn't necessary. I bumped and got bumped a few times, but I was mostly able to swim my pace and have my space. My sighting went well and I focused on long smooth strokes. This is a short swim ... somewhere between 500 and 600 yards, so I just sort of went with it. I noticed how different a swim race is ... especially in the open water ... from a run race. I knew about where I started in the field, but I really didn't have any clue about how many might have been passing me or who I might have been passing. I do know that I passed 3 or 4 people in the final 100 yards. The water got shallow enough for me to hit ground with my stroke, so I stood up. As it turns out, I could have stayed horizontal a bit longer, as I was still 30 yards from the shore (more work needed on that high elbow catch). I just ran it in.

I don't have a time for my swim, as I didn't wear my Garmin in the water. Given that I was passed by an equal number to those I was able to pass on the bike, I think I was out of the water in 18th place. That pleases me.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I felt like I was able to manage my pace and kept it calm. Focused on long smooth strokes. I'd have been able to breathe to either side, but breathed primarily to the right on every other stroke.

For a longer distance, I'd want to settle in to a pace that allowed for a breathe every 3 rate.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Transition 1

I was pleased with my transition here. I opted to put on socks ... I've never run without them, so I figured I should not introduce something new on race day and figured it was just as easy to put them on prior to the bike as it would be prior to the run. I was not surprised to see Peter's bike already gone. I was, however surprised to see Scott's bike still there. I knew he started a bit in front of me with the swim, but I must have gained a wee bit of ground (water) on him. He came in to transition within a few seconds and was much smoother at getting himself ready to go. Overall, though, I was pleased. The wetsuit stripped off easily and I was soon heading out for the ride.

I might save a second or two with a jump-on-bike mount, but I felt up to speed very quickly. I had grabbed my wrist strap for my Garmin (mounted on bike), thinking I'd put it on while riding to allow for a smoother T2 transition. I wasn't able to get it on while riding, so I just shoved it into my tri suit at chest level. Next time I'll save it for T2.
Bike
  • 44m 42s
  • 15.8 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike

Scott and I crossed the bike mount line together and he was off. I knew going in that he'd kill me on the bike, so I just watched him ride off, passing a few people quickly and easily. I didn't plan to see him before the finish.

The course heads uphill out of transition. It didn't look like much to me as I was driving into the parking area, but it really is a bit of a grind. I was quickly anaerobic and was pretty much redlining it with my heart rate and breathing. I've run enough marathons to know what happens if you use it up to quickly, but this was only going to be a 15.8 mile race followed by a 5k run. The distance didn't concern me, but I did have a moment where I wondered if I was sabotaging myself with the hard effort I was giving to the climb. The course then takes us through 2 loops described as an easy climb, a very nice descent, followed by a repeat of the climb. I was able to calm my heart rate and breathing down and maintain a very solid effort through the ride. I was descending close to 40mph, holding 23 - 25 mph relatively easy on the flats, and climbing at about 10mph. I had hoped to finish the ride above 20mph and ended up riding it at a 21.2 mph according to my Garmin.

That is the hardest I've ever ridden for any real distance beyond interval work. My sit bones are actually sore. I wouldn't change a thing, but I need to strengthen my run a bit more to keep the intensity consistent from bike to run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Transition 2

As quick as I needed it to be. No concerns. I held my speed right until the dismount line, had a clean dismount, and ran racked my bike quickly. The bike shoes came off and the run shoes went on with ease thanks to my speed laces. Pulled my wrist strap from my tri suit and had it and the Garmin on my wrist before leaving T2.

I had such a short trip from the dismount line to my rack spot that I didn't even consider puling my feet from my shoes prior to dismount. Still not sure I want to try that, but may practice it in the coming weeks.
Run
  • 21m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The Run

So here it is. My specialty, right? I've been a runner for 30+ years. My stand-alone 5k pace is currently right at the 19:00 minute mark, for a 6:05ish pace. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold that sort of pace following the swim and bike, but I had hoped to be in the neighborhood of 6:30. If I'm being honest, I came into the race hoping to be in the 6:20 neighborhood.

The run course is an out/back that heads up the same hill that began the bike leg. I knew this would slow me down, but didn't anticipate to see the 7:20s on my Garmin. The first place woman (55 years old and cut like she works out a day or two each week) passed me on the climb ... this means she had already made up the 3 minute stagger between the men's start and the women's start. Serious athlete. We leap-frogged a bit and I would gain ground on the slight downhills and she'd reel me in on the flats and (minor) climbs. Mile one was right around 7:20.

I was counting places as the leaders started showing up ... scanning the faces to see who might be in my age group. I got to 17 and realized the turn-around was just ahead and that I was gaining ground on Scott. We made the turn-around and I caught up and held pace with Scott for a few strides. I encouraged him to run with me so we could give our online mentor group something to read about but I wanted to keep the pace that had started coming to me. He gave me the verbal "go get it" and I moved on. The lead woman came along for the ride.

Mile 2 clocked in somewhere around 6:55.

I'd hear the lead woman as she surged, and I allowed myself to find a surge as well. Please read this carefully, I know plenty of VERY athletic and competitive women who can kick my ass any day of the week. I don't mind "getting chicked" ... not even in the slightest. But we feed off of one another's energy on the course, and she was giving me some with her surges. Mile 3 was the fastest, and I brought it in for a 1:17:xx.

I'd have liked to have been a little stronger on the run. Perhaps a few more brick workouts are in my future.
Post race
Warm down:

I had hoped to go sub 1:20:00 for this course, so I was very pleased. I still didn't know how I had done for my age group, but I knew I was close to getting that spot for the National Championships. Tom and Sheila knew who the 2nd place finisher was, but didn't know if he was in my age group.So we waited to find out. Marianne, the amazingest partner a guy could possibly ask for, waited with what seemed to be equal enthusiasm ... but she's an actress, so who knows.

As it turns out, one of my age-groupers finished 2nd overall which bumped me to 1st for Age Group awards. As i stated up-front, this is what I would need to secure a spot at the National Championships. I couldn't be more pleased!

Onward!

Last updated: 2011-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:10 | 525 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 25/114
Performance: Good
Official timing is not chip-based. We had our time clocked at the start, the mount line, the dismount line, and the finish. Swim time is based on an estimated time of another athlete who finished right behind me.
Suit: XTerra Full Wetsuit
Course: Triangular course. Clockwise swim.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:42 | 15.8 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 24/114
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: P shaped course. Straight out, two loops, return.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:52 | 03.11 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 19/114
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back ... .25 mile uphill start then relatively level with slight rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-30 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Subject: RaceVermont.com Sprint Triathlon I

2012-06-30 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4288453

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: RaceVermont.com Sprint Triathlon I
Troy - fantastic - you sir are a beast!!
2012-07-01 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4288509

User image

21.2 mph pace on the bike! YOU GO! Way to tear it up Troy!
2012-07-01 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4288453

User image

Troy,

Fantastic report and detail.  I can understand and appreciate the feeling on the run and you commentary made me smile and share that with a friend!

Scott's comment of go get it was great too!  It is about competing and if he wasn't ready he wanted you to excel and you did!!

Way to go. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RaceVermont.com Sprint Triathlon I Rss Feed